Patong - The Wake

Patong2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why open a bar and have to deal with staff, closing times, police etc etc, when you can  open a weed shop, employ 2 people and reap the rewards?

Anyway , bet 50% are out if business within 4 months

FYI: still Plenty of bars to drink in  ????

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, billythehat said:

Sir, may I suggest fitting one of these to your trusty steed to deal with those pesky wandering in the street folk?

Are bull bars legal in the UK? 

A very loud Klaxon horn might do the trick BTH, as this aparatus is almost as big as my car (Swift)!!

2 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

i remember Patong in it glory 1991 -2005 , Expat Hotel, the agogo,s the bars the HHH Maraud etc sadly RIP , i doubt I will return

It is still a lively place for the recents and newcomers, but now being here for nearly 17 yrs it has lost its appeal for me........as the song goes; "The thrill has gone"!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

i remember Patong in it glory 1991 -2005 , Expat Hotel, the agogo,s the bars the HHH Maraud etc sadly RIP , i doubt I will return

and of course there those of us that recall 85- 91   LOL
I managed the Titanic disco back than,  what a time, didn't open till midnight, closed at dawn
As i have stated, left Patong in 96 for Kamala 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2023 at 5:52 AM, HighPriority said:

I guess the thing is (most of us) change, places change and so do our needs and wants.

Wishing a place as dynamic as a city to stay static is nothing more than nostalgia for when we were young enough to live that place to its fullest, which as we age we realise we can’t, so we are really missing our youth and less so the changing environs.

I agree with most of what you say HP, although it's not that I can't live life in Patong to its/my fullest, is just that I don't want to!

The days of barhopping and drinking to excess, which was most evenings unfortunately, as well as talking nonsense to bar girls and listening to the same, if indeed they could speak English, coupled with staying out till 2 or 3 am are just things I don't want to do these days, even though I could if I wanted to (I think)!

My needs and wants have changed and I only drink wine these days, with just the occasional beer, and I'm more than happy sitting in and watching a movie.

What I'm trying to say is I could go on the rampage in Patong if I wanted to, but I don't want to!!!!! Hence agreeing with your comment about "changing needs and wants".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Patong2 said:

And isn't this the beauty of Patong Xylophone?

Here we can have quiet night, a risque night, or a positively crazy night, any night of the week and it's 

your choice. Not many places in the world that has those choices.

It's all the things we used to do, could still do and even the ones we are too old to do, are still available to us on our doorstep.

We love it.

So true Patong2, so very true!

On 6/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, xylophone said:

In Soi Banzaan, what was once a bar and small guesthouse called "Canada House"

An update on my penultimate post, inasmuch as what was once "Canada house", then a "Gentleman's Club" has been sold (re-leased) to Thai folk, however I've no idea what it is going to become, but one would hope that they would remove the ridiculous façade and turn it back into a cheap guesthouse, which it was originally, with of course the obligatory small bar at the entrance. Time will tell.

I also noticed that much farther south on Nanai, a long-standing bar called, "Ting Tong Bar" has almost ceased to exist whilst undergoing some pretty radical restructuring, and I've no idea what it is going to be, but it was supposedly famous for its fish and chips, as well as being a bar. Unfortunately it adjoins another bar, the resurrected "Island Bar" so I'm sure that hasn't done much for its business!

Nothing is happening as regards the "555" café/restaurant which has been closed for some while now even though there is a sign outside indicating that it is an Italian restaurant, but nothing has happened on that score for more than a year or two?

And to add to the woes of Nanai Road, a couple of small guesthouses/hotels which are located a few metres south of the entrance to Soi Banzaan and were closed for a while and then opened again, have now closed again. One can only assume lack of business?

Unfortunately I can foresee the same thing happening to a bar and café/restaurant at the very south end of Nanai, which adjoins a massage shop, neither of which do much in the way of business.

There are other empty shops around the place, so perhaps the joys surrounding the resurrection of Patong have been short lived??

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, liddelljohn said:

The Expat Hotel, indeed! I spent so many hours sitting there at the pool during the low seasons.

Edited by jts-khorat
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been on Phuket since June 1st but haven't posted here as the goings on around Patong are very well documented by Xylophone and others. However, a couple of things......

This is my first low season visit and I love it - busy enough around Patong but without the crazy traffic apart from each end of Bangla of course! What does confuse me is that I am still parking my scooter as far along beach road as I did in high season! Is that because that is where all of the staff park now that Sansabai is (I believe) off-limits?

But, my main reason for coming on this thread is a bit of a bombshell - Tiger seems to have closed and looks like it is being gutted. I seem to remember pre-Covid reading that there are plans to redevelop it into an hotel or shopping centre? Time will tell......

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

I had a closer look at Tiger last night - it's only been closed a few days and the ground floor is already a bomb site. The photo is of the former bar area.

230620-Tiger.jpg

Thanks LL as I hadn't seen this because I've not been out that much of late, but it sure looks like a mess and I wonder what the bar owners in that complex think about it??

Quite a few years ago there was talk about this complex being demolished and a supermarket/shopping mall being built there, but nothing happened, but perhaps now that is coming to fruition – – who knows.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of that site.

• Like 1