Patong - The Wake

Patong2

Since you mentioned Blue Lotus and Smilie Bar I'll jump in as I was in the former last night - as I have been many nights over the last month.

They always give me a huge welcome (the "Guard", the owner, the manager, the servers) and I don't know why as I NEVER buy ladydrinks but do always tip 10% - maybe they are accountants (as was I in a former life) and have calculated that my frequent modest visits are actually worth more than a once in a lifetime splurge from a two-week millionaire?

I love people-watching and most of the girls in Blue Lotus are extremely ruthless in their pursuit of ladydrinks and provide an entertaining diversion for me - the standard modus operandi is that a paleface buys a drink for one of the dancers but is immediately surrounded by three more and is too embarrassed to refuse a highly inflated round of drinks. Some guys are quite happy with this but some do look rather sheepish when they convert the tab back to their own currency.

And on that subject there was an interesting incident last night - a couple sat down and ordered six shots, two each and two for the server and that was how they were arranged on the table. However, it was clear that he was expecting all six to be at the same price and was somewhat peeved to see that, what he thought was a generous gesture, was treated to ladydrink pricing. He then re-arranged the six shots as three each for himself and his partner and had the tab re-issued at standard pricing. To be honest I was surprised that the bar played ball, but good on them!

Smilie Bar must wonder what they're doing wrong. The number of times that they are virtually empty while Blue Lotus next door are packed must have them scratching their heads. They did have a pole dancer (Xylophone's favourite!) but this week they have moved her stage a few metres so that it is now within Blue Lotus and I do wonder if this is a pre-cursor to a takeover.

As a footnote, I never notice any Russians on Bangla!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes it has, so I thought I would chip in and give it my 10 pennyworth (or more)!

As it happens I haven't been out to Bangla more than a handful of times over the last 2 to 3 months, mainly because I haven't really felt like it – – perhaps because I'm getting old. That aside, it has become distinctly "old hat" to me and a few of my friends, and as I am not one for sitting on a bar stool discussing nothing in particular, the whole place feels very boring.

So an update here, as I see it: – the few times I have been out, I have eaten at Blue Beach Café and Restaurant as one is assured of good food and good service, by excellent wait staff, so it makes a good start to the evening.

Although I have been past what was once my favourite venue to belt out a song or two, "Red Hot", I haven't had the inclination to go in, mainly because a couple of the band have left and I haven't seen the great lady singer Mayen there for a while, and she always helped me with the high notes on "Don't Stop Believing". To add to that a couple of friends who have been along have said that it is being populated by Russian folk, with the band adapting to the new clientele, by singing more Russian songs – – not for me thank you!

Now a good place to sit and watch the world go by on Bangla, is what used to be Smiley Bar and is now Blue Lotus café, so I will have to give that a try as in days gone by it was a good spot for people watching.

Soi Sansabai is certainly seeing a lot of activity with regards to new building/renovations going on, which makes it terribly crowded when trying to navigate a homeward path on the back of a motorbike taxi, because the building activity, new café's and restaurants and the inability of certain members of the human race to be able to keep to one side of the road, makes life very difficult.

Further up in Soi Banzaan, the previously named "Canada House", now turned into a bar, is struggling for custom (who'd have thought it??), so the ladies working in the bar have taken to sitting on stools on the side of the road so that they can be seen by passers-by, which doesn't seem to have had much of an effect and I don't think I've ever seen one customer in there?

Onto Nanai and the recently opened "Blue Sky" bar is about as popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip with customers. Further along, the long-awaited opening of the Italian restaurant "Verdi" (I think) happened a couple of weeks ago, but I have no idea if it is being frequented by customers or not, although on the few times I've driven by it doesn't seem to be busy in the slightest.......and that seems to be par for course in Nanai at the moment with the recently refurbished/reopened "Chang bar", almost opposite two other bars "Rock Bar and Long Time Bar" doing nothing much at all other than wasting electricity by being open!

The same could be said for many other bars such as the "Thirsty Lizard" and the recently opened black bar called "Hurricane Rock Bar". However the lack of activity in Nanai has not stopped someone opening a new restaurant venture in south Nanai where two other restaurant ventures failed in quick succession and I think I noticed something about a "Fondue" when driving by so whether that's what they are serving or the name of it, I'm not sure?

Traffic congestion seems to have eased somewhat what with the restriction caused by the roadworks/water works debacle, getting a little better, but it is still not fixed completely.

There are another couple of reasons I'm not been out recently, one is that I seem to have acquired some sort of allergy, which often happens around this time of the year, and I wish I could find out what was causing it, because it makes me feel very tired and lethargic should I say, so staying in and watching a movie seems a good option with a good bottle of red (please don't tell me it's the red wine which is causing it because I wouldn't want to change the habit of a lifetime, well almost anyway).

I'm hoping to get out to the restaurant called, "West" over the next week or so to sample their "Châteaubriand" as they call it, and being able to take a good bottle of my own wine along, helps tremendously. Either before or after that I will go to the Italian restaurant in Soi Patong Beach, "Amena e Core" which serves good Italian food, and lets me bring my good bottle of wine for a small surcharge.

Something else I will add which has made me think just recently was that the last time I went out I noticed that the lady drinks were now 220 baht, and having visited an old friend whom I've known for probably 10 years, at one of the bars, just to catch up and have a chat, I was surprised at the price of these lady drinks, so for this particular woman I slipped her a few hundred baht "under the table" as well as buying her a couple of drinks. Having said that I'm afraid my days of buying thousands of baht's worth of drinks for the bar girls has long gone, because at one time you could have a conversation with them, but now not so much.

I suppose that for someone like me who's been here for 17 years, it's only natural that the attraction of Bangla would wane somewhat, and it certainly has for me, and as I'm not one for sitting at a bar stool during the daytime, or really during the evening for that matter, more than say once a week, it's really to catch up with a friend or two, or to have a change from cooking my own food, and eating out – – luckily there are some nice restaurants around, a few more of which I have to try.

Anyway, high season is approaching and so the hustle and bustle, toil and trouble will be upon us again soon.

LOL
17 years it took ya to get bored?>  I got bored after 11  🙂 and when i left patong in '96 for kamala, never looked back
I do drive thru, about 1x/month, in the daytime.  Had a meal at the NEW taco bell last week in Jung ceylon

220 for lady drinks!!!! my god, whats bf and st  ? 4,000+++

Edited by zzzzz

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

LOL
17 years it took ya to get bored?>  I got bored after 11  🙂 and when i left patong in '96 for kamala, never looked back
I do drive thru, about 1x/month, in the daytime.  Had a meal at the NEW taco bell last week in Jung ceylon

220 for lady drinks!!!! my god, whats bf and st  ? 4,000+++

Well to be honest I got bored with it many years ago and it then became no more than a place to meet friends and to undertake an hour or so of people watching. Having said that there were a couple of bar owners I got to know and I occasionally popped in for a drink.

As for your question re. bf and st; well I don't know as do not partake of those services!!

OOPS......forgot that I did enjoy singing a few numbers in Red Hot, but as previously mentioned, not so now!

PS. Comments on Taco Bell please, if you don't mind 🙂

Curiouser and curiouser.......the desire to own or open a small business here in Patong seems to override the basic business principles, or indeed common sense of some people.

I mentioned in another post about the businesses which close/and/or are not doing so well, and just yesterday I noticed more........a very small  "space" which about three incarnations ago opened up as a coffee and cake shop, closed down after two or three months because of no business, then was opened again a little later as another coffee/cake shop, which lasted about the same time and closed, and had been empty for a couple of months or more.

Then about two weeks ago I saw that it had opened up again as a – – yes you guessed it – – a coffee shop, but with a difference because it advertised itself as a "Healthy Café" (or similar) which also sold cannabis, or purported to. However I saw no activity in it and about a week or so ago, noticed a sign in the window saying that staff were needed (in English and in Thai), and just a couple of days ago noticed a sign next to that saying, "Business for Sale". Another short lived dream gone bust.

The newly opened Italian restaurant/café called, "Nice to Meat You" doesn't seem to be catering for many meat eaters these days, if any, although a few of the rooms have been taken by the looks of things.

This area of Nanai is not a magnet for foot traffic and would-be diners, neither is it for a massage shop, which was advertised for 400,000 baht (even though it had very little business) and was eventually bought by two older ladies for 250,000 baht (or was it 200,000 baht?) And as yet I've seen nobody go into the place, nor any of the usual giveaway signs of shoes being parked outside of the door. Don't see it lasting long at this rate.

The huge hotel, "Chang Residence" which needed major renovations because it had been left to the elements over the Covid period, is now being worked upon and tidied up somewhat, although there is still a lot of work to do, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Further north there are a few bars on the right-hand side, almost opposite Makro, which have one or two girls each in the places, with just a very occasional farang, so I don't see a long-term future for these places either.

Overall, I really don't see much in the way of a future for a lot of these places, but as long as there are farangs with money to spend, no business acumen and lust to be taken care of, then I suppose this will continue, as it has done in the past – – although I will add a rider to this, because in the past landlords were very reasonable with regards to rent they charged, whereas now this is not the case, so it's a whole different ballgame.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

After not posting for a couple of months, I seem to have gone ballistic, however this last event is an absolute doozy, so I just had to post here about it......... 

A friend enquired about the tapas in a recently opened tapas restaurant, only to be told that they didn't do tapas.

This gets interesting because not only do they not do tapas, which is on the sign outside of the restaurant, the owner is from Sweden (not famous for its tapas) and the name of the restaurant is the "Mayflower" (named after a flower or a famous ship?).

And to top the lot, on a billboard outside of the "restaurant" there are several pics of burgers with French fries and similar.

So we have a Swedish guy, opening a tapas restaurant which doesn't serve tapas, in Thailand and naming the restaurant the Mayflower, outside of which is an advertising board containing pics of burgers....hmmm. TIT.

ages ago, back in the 90's, i considered opening a advisement office with a thai lawyer services
My speciality would be to give advice to newcomers on the posible successfulness of their "Business plan"
but how to get client's willing to spend $$$, to have them told their "dream" is a stupid idea 

Also when i ran the Phuket Food, shopping entertainment guide, I would ask all new business to advertise>
sometimes would enter a new restaurant and present the book , only to be told that there were so many restaurant's in it already, at which i would smile and say < "yep, so why did you open another one"?   

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

After not posting for a couple of months, I seem to have gone ballistic, however this last event is an absolute doozy, so I just had to post here about it......... 

A friend enquired about the tapas in a recently opened tapas restaurant, only to be told that they didn't do tapas.

This gets interesting because not only do they not do tapas, which is on the sign outside of the restaurant, the owner is from Sweden (not famous for its tapas) and the name of the restaurant is the "Mayflower" (named after a flower or a famous ship?).

And to top the lot, on a billboard outside of the "restaurant" there are several pics of burgers with French fries and similar.

So we have a Swedish guy, opening a tapas restaurant which doesn't serve tapas, in Thailand and naming the restaurant the Mayflower, outside of which is an advertising board containing pics of burgers....hmmm. TIT.

You sure he,s Swedish and is a guy?? 

• 1 month later...

something many of you are missing regarding lady drinks>
many bars require a girl get x number of drinks/month or they are docked part of their salary, that is why they come across as pushy at times 
( unless this has changed as its been awhile since i was in a bar with  girls on the make 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

something many of you are missing regarding lady drinks>
many bars require a girl get x number of drinks/month or they are docked part of their salary, that is why they come across as pushy at times 
( unless this has changed as its been awhile since i was in a bar with  girls on the make 

Some bars operate that way, others don't, although the girls at Suzie Wongs have to get their quota of drinks in order to get paid.......also many of them opt for just Coke (for example) and tell the punter that it is a "real drink". No problems with that as in many cases thay are looking after their health.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Some bars operate that way, others don't, although the girls at Suzie Wongs have to get their quota of drinks in order to get paid.......also many of them opt for just Coke (for example) and tell the punter that it is a "real drink". No problems with that as in many cases thay are looking after their health.

over the year's have seen many customers get mad at girls they buy drinks for girls thinking they are paying for a "real" drink not a coke or OJ ( for 150-200 baht) and tasting it 
so unless the girls says they are not drinking alcohol .....

47 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

over the year's have seen many customers get mad at girls they buy drinks for girls thinking they are paying for a "real" drink not a coke or OJ ( for 150-200 baht) and tasting it 
so unless the girls says they are not drinking alcohol .....

Different perspectives I think, because if the girls said they were drinking orange juice or coke, but the bar wanted to charge 220 baht for it then the punters would still get upset! No win for the poor girls.

In effect one is really paying for the company of the girl with that 220 baht drink and providing the bar with a profit and to help pay the girls wages/overheads, so the argument for or against it is rather circuitous IMO.

I had often thought that the amount of alcohol that the girls put away in a month, in the old days, would soon lead to their demise, much earlier than nature intended, so I have no problem with a girl drinking whatever she wants – – her choice.

• Agree 1

Mondo Bar had a big bucket out the back for the girls to “empty their stomachs” as required…

I knew girls who ran 2 jobs, one cleaning hotels/guesthouses and one at a bar.

They'd party/work hard at both jobs for a month, then drop the bar and recover for a month doing cleaning only, then back to the bar/cleaning routine.

These were girls who weren’t chasing the sex side of the bar work, if they were barfined, that was a bonus others saw the money from sex work and focused on that…

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

These were girls who weren’t chasing the sex side of the bar work, if they were barfined, that was a bonus others saw the money from sex work and focused on that…

This is a good point - so many guys think that every bar girl is a hooker but the experienced hustlers can make as much from ladydrinks as they would on short-times. They may occasionally go with a punter if they were attracted to him to a degree.

I spend a lot of time people-watching on Bangla and would judge that, on any given night, less than one in fifty bargirls (as opposed to streetwalkers) are bar-fined and that the majority never have been.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding weed shops< more of them than 7/11's or massage shops  :-)
Cheap to open. high profits, but without a constant stream of tourists, wont make it thru the high season>
Few, if any locals ( expats as well) visit them, as you can get the same products delivered to ur door at half the price, using one of the many shops on fb and line. 

your friend ir is right>
Once one smokes weed, the desire to drink in a bar is gone    55555

Enjoy ur posts as haven't had a night out ( nor a desire) in Patong in over a decade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

Cheap to open. high profits, but without a constant stream of tourists, wont make it thru the high season>
Few, if any locals ( expats as well) visit them, as you can get the same products delivered to ur door at half the price, using one of the many shops on fb and line. 

your friend ir is right>

Enjoy ur posts as haven't had a night out ( nor a desire) in Patong in over a decade

most of them have bad flower too :)

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

your friend ir is right>

Thank you for your kind words, and I have to say that I'm getting a bit like you these days with regards to nights out in Patong; from almost every night of the week when I first arrived here more than 17 years ago, to now perhaps once a week, and then mainly to catch up with a friend or two and have a bite to eat, with a couple of bars visited after that, and my days of singing at Red Hot are just about over because the band has changed quite markedly and I don't seem to have the same rapport with the new members.

If it comes to going out to Bangla versus a night in watching a good movie after eating something I've cooked, accompanied with a nice red wine, I choose the second option almost every time now!

1 hour ago, stoner said:

most of them have bad flower too :)

Never being a Weed smoker, apart from couple of tries in my teens, I've no idea what that comment means???

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thank you for your kind words, and I have to say that I'm getting a bit like you these days with regards to nights out in Patong; from almost every night of the week when I first arrived here more than 17 years ago, to now perhaps once a week, and then mainly to catch up with a friend or two and have a bite to eat, with a couple of bars visited after that, and my days of singing at Red Hot are just about over because the band has changed quite markedly and I don't seem to have the same rapport with the new members.

If it comes to going out to Bangla versus a night in watching a good movie after eating something I've cooked, accompanied with a nice red wine, I choose the second option almost every time now!

Never being a Weed smoker, apart from couple of tries in my teens, I've no idea what that comment means???

think snake oil sales men. 

In regard to the government possibly reversing position on weed, I think it's just noise at this point. In Bangkok, there's a proliferation of weed shops especially in the lower Sukhumvit area. These shops are occupying some extremely expensive real estate, and considerable money has been spent on fitting out the shops. I suspect that the owners are well connected, and have assurance that they'll be able to continue conducting business after investing hefty sums.

• Thumbs Up 1