Patong - The Wake

Patong2

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

In regard to the government possibly reversing position on weed, I think it's just noise at this point. In Bangkok, there's a proliferation of weed shops especially in the lower Sukhumvit area. These shops are occupying some extremely expensive real estate, and considerable money has been spent on fitting out the shops. I suspect that the owners are well connected, and have assurance that they'll be able to continue conducting business after investing hefty sums.

amazing profits to be made> with very low overhead other than rent 
look at the prices on FB and line where you pay less than 20% of what those shops are selling the same weed for and thats buying retail, can u imagine how cheap it is wholesale?

once you let the genie out
very hard to put her back in

the shops i have visited, an the product i have tired, its NOT snake oil
what he means is,  people selling one thing and claiming its something else

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

it all gets a bit tiresome after a few years

5 nights a week for a few years ? 

i move tomorrow to phuket. been transitioning for about 6 months now. plan on staying about 3 to 5 years.

Edited by stoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

hint hint:
old # 3 police was transferred to Kamala an is now #1 in Kamala, time to make some $$
Cafe del mar is under fire as well as the locals thais are upset with the noise>

5 nights a week out in Patong?? my god, haven't done that since the 80's  You must love crowds and drinking
Rather you than me   :-)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

old # 3 police was transferred to Kamala an is now #1 in Kamala, time to make some $$

There's a breathalyser checkpoint virtually every night on the Kamala-Patong road but they recognise me now and wave me through.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

5 nights a week out in Patong?? my god, haven't done that since the 80's  You must love crowds and drinking
Rather you than me   :-)

I enjoy watching people and Patong is perfect for that. I also enjoy a few beers!

The ride there and back from Kamala is also (mostly) good fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

So schlog, may I wish you the best of luck with your move and ask to where it is you are moving (don't have to answer if you don't want to) and to stay safe and well.

Thanks alot xylo. Wish you the best!

To Ko Kaeo near from boat lagoon into my daughters house. So still on Phuket but in a nice quiet gated community. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stoner said:

can anyone tell me 

when going over the hill from phuket to patong. why are people honking their horns at the top ? 

Temple  that celebrates end of dope free for all! Your gonna fit in well there.😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, stoner said:

can anyone tell me 

when going over the hill from phuket to patong. why are people honking their horns at the top ? 

Chinese Temple there. Honk to say hello to the spirits that live there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

So staying here is the easiest option, but probably not the best for my sanity!

Do what I do - base in Kamala and just pop over to Patong for the evening.

While on this thread, peak season seems to have finished! I was going to comment earlier but have now spent three evenings on Bangla just to make sure. The ride along Rat-U-Tit is still a nightmare but the beach road and the parking is much easier. It's still busy, but I have no problem getting a ringside seat at my favoured bars (I've now overlooked Blue Lotus's poor employee relations) when In arrive at about 11pm and by the time I head home at 1am it is starting to empty noticably.

I had a run-in with some Indians last night - the usual thing of buying a bottle of water at the Seven and then sitting down at a bar with no intention of buying a drink. What are these people thinking? The thing is, the bar staff just turn a non-confrontational blind eye but I always feel an urge to send them on their way.

And on the international ticket, considering the vast numbers of Russians here with their muscles and kiss-me-quick hats (the guys) and their Botoxed pouts (the girls), very few seem to go for the bar scene.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

can anyone tell me 

When passing the temple at the top of the hill, they honk for good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I have mentioned the atrocious driving in Patong, many times, and some of the worst culprits over the years have been the French Africans, so I was not surprised to hear the following from a friend who manages a shop here.......... 

Thai friend: – you know Big C, outside, have big crash yesterday (this was a couple of days ago).

Me: what happened?

Thai friend: – French chocolate man do wheelies on big motorbike and crash into other motorbikes, and have blood in many places!

I could find out no more about this and I haven't seen it on any the news yet, so I would suppose that the guy is just injured and not dead, but it sounds like he got his just rewards through being an idiot on a motorbike – – mind you there are many of them here at the moment, sad to say.

• Agree 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:50 PM, London Lowf said:

Do what I do - base in Kamala and just pop over to Patong for the evening.

IMO, Kamala is the pits and even though I am tired of Patong, nothing, nothing would encourage me to move to Kamala!

It's a "one road, one horse town" and that road is considered a racetrack by many motorbike idiots.

I'm not that desperate yet LL! And as I recall you come over to Patong on your motorbike and have a few beers, so it's not something I would want to do; drive back to Kamala from Patong after having a few glasses of wine and a couple of shorts, especially as I do not drink and drive these days, although I have to say that I did a little in my youth, but that was decades ago!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

IMO, Kamala is the pits and even though I am tired of Patong, nothing, nothing would encourage me to move to Kamala!

It's a "one road, one horse town" and that road is considered a racetrack by many motorbike idiots.

The main drag through Kamala is no more (or less) the defining attribute of the town than Bangla is the defining attribute of Patong - at least you can get from one end of town to the other in minutes at any time of day.

Anyway, each to their own - I can't stand the racket coming out of Red Hot every evening!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

The main drag through Kamala is no more (or less) the defining attribute of the town than Bangla is the defining attribute of Patong - at least you can get from one end of town to the other in minutes at any time of day.

Anyway, each to their own - I can't stand the racket coming out of Red Hot every evening!

Me neither LL, but it was better when I sang a few songs there!!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

I love kamala, been here since 96>
theres the main road which is a mad house with <deleted> on bikes

BUT the eastern side of the main road is Thailand with an abundance of condos, villas and the Local population, the western side  tourists>
Plus we have everything one needs,  I only go out of kamala 1/2 x /week to central and Makro in Phuket town
dont drink and bars have held no interest for me in more than a decade.

Patong :  ONLY to get to town!!!

went down to Chalong last week thru Karon, kata, nai harn, rawaii chalong>  dam have they ruined that part of phuket
and as far as the northern part; 6,000 new units being built in Laguna>
6+ years from now the island's traffic will make it nearly impossible to move around

Thanks for offering up another perspective, always good to get another viewpoint, however it won't change my opinion of it, but everyone to their own.

Agree with you about the main road, and I observed some of these idiots on the motorbikes as I was driving through it, luckily in my car!

Also agree with your last paragraph regarding the "ruining of that part of Phuket" and for my part, Patong has already reached that stage – – i.e. been ruined one way and another, and particularly with the traffic which is gridlocked much of the time during the week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also agree with your last paragraph regarding the "ruining of that part of Phuket" and for my part, Patong has already reached that stage – – i.e. been ruined one way and another, and particularly with the traffic which is gridlocked much of the time during the week.

Bets are now accepted for how long it will take for Phuket to become a concrete jungle.

I am in Rawai and doing cycling early morning in small Soi's. I can see there that a piece of land is flattened or a forest/trees cut at least once every 2 weeks. Terrible.

I also ask myself, what if...?

Recently there have been terrible wildfires on a Hawaiian island, on several Mediterranean islands etc..

So what if that happens on Phuket?   I am not sure about sufficient equipments.

I am aware that it has not much to do with Patong-The Wake, but still

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

went down to Chalong last week thru Karon, kata, nai harn, rawaii chalong>  dam have they ruined that part of phuket
and as far as the northern part; 6,000 new units being built in Laguna>
6+ years from now the island's traffic will make it nearly impossible to move around

For some reason, as I was out this afternoon picking up a few things for dinner, the words of a Joni Mitchell song came to mind, brought about by your comment above: –

"Pave paradise and put up a parking lot"......not quite the same, but I'm sure you get my drift! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1