'Regency for Expats' medical insurance

simon43

Does anyone have experience - good or bad - with the 'Regency for Expats' medical insurance policy?  I have a quote from a Hong Kong broker and the cover looks quite reasonable ==> accept applicants up to 71 years old, lifetime cover, $1,000,000 USD cover etc.

What sort of money was the premiums? many thanks.

For me aged 58 years, with no pre-existing conditions etc, the annual premium for $1,000,000 cover (excluding the USA) was $2,1000.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

I poked around online and on their website.  One thing that jumps out is they do NOT pay the claim or costs directly to the hospital.  You must submit a claim.  Knowing the way some Thai hospitals work, getting things like BUPA that handle costs up front seem to be more attractive.  Actually reading further it is less clear than that. They seem to require pre approval for planned events, surgeries etc.  So some direct billing and settling may be possible. Pre approval is not unusual here in the USA.  But going through an international company and then in another country, just sounds like a lot of work.  Maybe these guys are good and have good smooth operations with some Thai hospitals or agencies.  Don't know

• 4 weeks later...

Not so much feed back is there--- My friend just joined , but he done little research...well like none. I have just been sacked by BUPA, so was looking around for another company, I'm 69.

They are aggressively advertising this one--(like every time you go on YouTube...etc) no one else a member ????????????

You will have to mention on the application form that you were just 'sacked' from Bupa (I presume you mean an existing policy was cancelled). This will significantly decrease your chances of getting accepted elsewhere at reasonable conditions.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

You will have to mention on the application form that you were just 'sacked' from Bupa (I presume you mean an existing policy was cancelled). This will significantly decrease your chances of getting accepted elsewhere at reasonable conditions.

Oh it's just BUPA's policy......if you joined after 60 years---then they finish with you after 70 years---it was explained to me at the time---but that was way in the future--so nothing to worry about....then in the blink of an eye--I'm 70, ...They said they would do one more year if I needed, they have been quite good & I would recommend them to join (to anyone under 60)

On 6/29/2017 at 1:35 PM, simon43 said:

For me aged 58 years, with no pre-existing conditions etc, the annual premium for $1,000,000 cover (excluding the USA) was $2,1000.

YMMV

with all the money you earned over the years you should not really need it and they will not cover your pre existing health problem anyway. LRI is only a flight away :smile:

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

so 10 years cover and then when you will more likely need it they dump you, that's not a company to recommend is it

Aren't they all like that? Even if they dont refuse to renew they will simply put the premiums up so much that it's not worth paying for anyway.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:38 AM, THAILIBAN said:

need to know:

Regency_For_Expats_Faqs_-_2017-08-08_11.38.03.png

You have to love'm 

So to some that up you have high BP & keeping it under control & even went as far as an ECG

But all of a sudden you have a mild heart attack which you should of known was going to happen

= Sorry long term most expensive cover customer, you should have known this was going to happen & with that knowledge we cannot cover your hospitalization 

On 8/7/2017 at 4:09 PM, Orton Rd said:

so 10 years cover and then when you will more likely need it they dump you, that's not a company to recommend is it

If your under 60---yes I really do recommend them--because then your not dumped--ever-- its true as with all Insurance companies over 65 they dont publish rates---so you can be priced out of it. But when you are with them --they do seem to take that extra step, I had a bad accident after being with them for just 3 weeks. Flown down from Issan to BKK for facial reconstruction. All insurance companies deem that you can not claim for the first six months, the girl at Brumangrad entered my card by mistake--they (BUPA) phoned the hospital and told them they would pay for everything as they deem it an accident not sickness. I haven't been their best client--seem to have a run of stuff happening the last few years---I watched them get ripped off by the hospitals, once they know you have a good cover. I wish they would bring out another policy that does not include the BKK/Brumangrad hospitals--would be a cheaper rate. Also wish that the government would get hospitals to give basic care policy to Ex-pats in their catchment area-- I am sure they would come out of it with a profit. Just basic--and if you want your own room etc--then you pay up more--but at least you know you will be accepted.

Still as my Irish mother would say---If wishes were horses--beggar's would ride.

All insurance companies deem that you can not claim for the first six months

Not correct. What may happen is that it is deemed to be a pre existing conditions, but with sickness that is clearly not pre existing or accidents, they will (have to) pay out.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2017 at 7:21 PM, simon43 said:

Does anyone have experience - good or bad - with the 'Regency for Expats' medical insurance policy?  I have a quote from a Hong Kong broker and the cover looks quite reasonable ==> accept applicants up to 71 years old, lifetime cover, $1,000,000 USD cover etc.

I was recently quoted by them. They were expensive but good cover. I ended up going for Cigna Gold package but 2 weeks after I had signed up with Cigna I received a phone call from Regency offering a 25% discount. I refused on principle ( they were obviously overpricing in the first place) and kept with Cigna.

if you want a policy with all the bells & whistles then your gonna have to pay.

Most won't look at 70+ and if your lucky enough to find one, the premiums will be quite hefty.

AIA, Bupa,

Cigna Global Insurance 

IntegraGlobal

International Medical Group

GeoBlue Global Medical -  for US citizens abroad.

Allianz

Aetna International

Seven Corners and HCC

• 6 months later...

So id advise avoiding  nowcompare/and all online brokers. deal direct with the major players, bupa,aia,allianz etc.

The broker sites only push policies with the best commissions and most haven't been around long, or are underwritten by third parties, so will most likely come and go. which means the claims which are already hard enough with most large companies will be even harder.

Also insurance brokers might answer questions just to get the sale. always read the small print.

It not worth gambling with your health to save a few bucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My experience with them has been appalling.

I have been with them for one year having only just moved to Thailand. In the course of the year I began experiencing numbness in my hand and was later diagnosed with herniated cervical spine and surgery was recommended.

I then sought pre-approval from them to confirm that the cost will be  covered.

They then made me retrieve my medical records from three years back in an attempt to show that it was pre-existing. I had to contact my doctor in Australia for these records which showed that I had never consulted him for these symptoms, primarily because I didnt have any!

They denied ccover anyway on the basis that it looked like it been existing prior to the policy being in place and therefore it was pre-existing.  This despite me not having symptoms prior to the policy term starting.

Then the agent had the balls to ask me if I wanted to renew with them.....

I note that in their advertising they say they pay 98% of their claims. In my case I didn't even get to claim stage so I guess statistically cases like mine aren't included in their count. 

In summary,  flushing your money down the toilet would give you better coverage than these crooks would. 

Just now, threefurryfaces said:

My experience with them has been appalling.

I have been with them for one year having only just moved to Thailand. In the course of the year I began experiencing numbness in my hand and was later diagnosed with herniated cervical spine and surgery was recommended.

I then sought pre-approval from them to confirm that the cost will be  covered.

They then made me retrieve my medical records from three years back in an attempt to show that it was pre-existing. I had to contact my doctor in Australia for these records which showed that I had never consulted him for these symptoms, primarily because I didnt have any!

They denied ccover anyway on the basis that it looked like it been existing prior to the policy being in place and therefore it was pre-existing.  This despite me not having symptoms prior to the policy term starting.

Then the agent had the balls to ask me if I wanted to renew with them.....

I note that in their advertising they say they pay 98% of their claims. In my case I didn't even get to claim stage so I guess statistically cases like mine aren't included in their count. 

In summary,  flushing your money down the toilet would give you better coverage than these crooks would. 

I've been hearing good things about Luma, who like Regency, are blitzing the internet and Facebook in particular with enticing adverts.  My wife and kid (3 years old) are insured with Regency and posts like yours are worrying to say the least!  Renewal time is coming round, so I think I will need to look again.

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I would think all companies exclude pre-existing conditions.

I'm on BUPA (Now Aetna). I have a pre-existing prostatitis condition...they said I could get no treatment for any prostate-related illness for two years, then everything was covered. And a tiny polyp I had removed during a colonoscopy I had done as a general check up also got me about a year in the no-covereage doghouse for colon cancer. But now I'm theoretically fully covered. 

To the OP, it's now mid-2018 and I'm getting pitched Regency as well. Even after a year since you posted, there are hardly any non-sponsored posts about it...and their prices aren't any lower than Aetna. So I'm going to tell that agent that I'm not interested. Besides, since when in the history of history has any agent actually sold us a product that really is the best for us? Health care, real estate, financial services...they sell whatever gives them the best commission. Best to just go talk to each insurer at their office and get the details directly, asking the same important questions to all of them, IMO.

1 hour ago, Mike555 said:

I'm on BUPA (Now Aetna). I have a pre-existing prostatitis condition...they said I could get no treatment for any prostate-related illness for two years, then everything was covered. And a tiny polyp I had removed during a colonoscopy I had done as a general check up also got me about a year in the no-covereage doghouse for colon cancer. But now I'm theoretically fully covered. 

To the OP, it's now mid-2018 and I'm getting pitched Regency as well. Even after a year since you posted, there are hardly any non-sponsored posts about it...and their prices aren't any lower than Aetna. So I'm going to tell that agent that I'm not interested. Besides, since when in the history of history has any agent actually sold us a product that really is the best for us? Health care, real estate, financial services...they sell whatever gives them the best commission. Best to just go talk to each insurer at their office and get the details directly, asking the same important questions to all of them, IMO.

Just find a better agent.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Regency for expats is the worst "health insurance" I have ever had. They do not cover anything, they do not contact the hospitals, they put you one million problems in order to process a payment, etc etc etc. I paid one year of this "insurance" and I regret it a lot

Looked at them when I was shopping around a few years ago . Not much info but 1 thing which made me think to stay away.

local brokers do not recommend them and do not offer quotes unless you specifically ask. Only HK based brokers are pushing this company .

to me it’s a little red flag , why locals would not push cheap policy and only reason I can think of is possibly bad service or many problems .

my local broker put me into April internatinonal, top coverage, hassle free application, very competitive price in comparison to big boys like bupa and Cigna .

with insurance , I find it’s cheap for a reason.

ACS Allianz offered very cheap policies with superb coverage , BUT they require full boood works and some things on that list many labs did not even know .

Archived