An Air Asia pilot has told his passengers he was scared and they should pray when their plane started to violently shake 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Not only the pilot was scared, most of the passengers needed clean underwear once the plane landed.

I wonder how many of the $20 vouchers they dished out were spent on clean skids?

I've been on an Air India flight when the captain announced the plane was unable to maintain altitude, as in we are going down, so I know how unnerving an experience like this can be. I will not be commenting on the state of my undies when we landed though.

I remember a Qantas flight having an emergency maybe turbulence and passengers with broken bones? It diverted immediately to Learmouth in WA.

The Air Asia pilot has already indicated to the passengers that that they may not survive but chooses not to land at nearby Geraldtown?!? Decides to limp on 200 plus more miles to Perth. 

I am only speculating but this says to me that Air Asia ops in KL have told the pilot to return to Perth. Why because it's cheaper to fix the aircraft in Perth and get the passengers sorted out with replacement flights, hotels etc. If it had gone to Geraldtown the passengers would need busing back to Perth. Engineers and parts would need to be driven or flown up to Geraldtown.  All of this costs $$$$$. Obviously it's safer to land at Geraldtown pronto but a commercial decision has been made to save some cash and fly to Perth. 

2 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I remember a Qantas flight having an emergency maybe turbulence and passengers with broken bones? It diverted immediately to Learmouth in WA.

The Air Asia pilot has already indicated to the passengers that that they may not survive but chooses not to land at nearby Geraldtown?!? Decides to limp on 200 plus more miles to Perth. 

I am only speculating but this says to me that Air Asia ops in KL have told the pilot to return to Perth. Why because it's cheaper to fix the aircraft in Perth and get the passengers sorted out with replacement flights, hotels etc. If it had gone to Geraldtown the passengers would need busing back to Perth. Engineers and parts would need to be driven or flown up to Geraldtown.  All of this costs $$$$$. Obviously it's safer to land at Geraldtown pronto but a commercial decision has been made to save some cash and fly to Perth. 

But I Thought it was up to The Captain where he diverted too,<deleted>** what KL Ops would have told him to do...

Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

But I Thought it was up to The Captain where he diverted too,<deleted>** what KL Ops would have told him to do...

Yes the Captain is in charge but chose or was told to fly to Perth? I don't think it was wise of the pilot to tell the passengers they may not survive either. He could have said there is a technical fault and they are returning, stay calm etc. Remind the pax how professionally trained the cabin crew are etc. If I was the pilot and I thought there was a chance we may not survive I would have gone straight to the nearest airport regardless if it was the back of beyond. Sort it out on the ground! 

That captain is a looser. 

Though he landed the plane he is not fit to fly.

Infact i bet 90 percent of air asia captains are just like this guy.

I always fly air asia,but

Nice looking stewardeses and cheap fairs might not be enough next time i book a flight.

Yikes.

I always fly 'top 20' to/from Thailand, and although it usually costs a little more, I accept that it is worth it. What the previous poster said is right - the difference between airline safety records has a lot to do with the Pilots. Well trained, experienced and highly qualified Pilots work at the best airlines, and when something goes wrong, that is who I want to be in charge. Look up world's safest airlines and anyone in the top 10-20 would be OK (Qantas is my preferred choice). Many pilots who work for the 'budget' airlines, like Air Asia, do so because they are not capable and/or not qualified to fly for the better airlines. I used to work with an ex-traffic controller - he lasted 10 years - and could tell some stories about certain airlines and their pilots.

I wouldn't use a Doctor who was only trained/qualified in a 3rd world country, and I wont use such a Pilot. It is like going to a rural Hospital in India and hoping for the best, versus the top private Hospital in Sydney/New York, but the difference in costs is nowhere near the same. I see the extra costs as 'flight insurance'.

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

For everybody information, the plane was departing from Australia and a plane is always checked for a flight over 4hours... So some Australian inspector is to blame on this..

It sounds like the turbine threw a blade. 

Unlikely to see anything on a pre flight inspection. 

It sounds like the turbine threw a blade. 

Unlikely to see anything on a pre flight inspection. 

So why blame airasia or call the pilot a looser (as many are doing in here)? The engine can be shout down but still wind pass by and the turbine still spinning, for this were all this vibration for all the flight back (check YouTube and you'll find the video where can clearly see the turbine spinning unbalanced) the captain and his copilot were good to get everybody back to the ground safe and sound. Also the fact that the plane flew for a good 90 minutes without shatter means that mechanically it was in good shape.

Last thing, I read a comment about the airport choose for the emergency landing was Perth for financial porpoise, I think they wanted to hide that everything happened because of a fault of the chemtrials generator, the captain also took this decision probably to try to convert 359 people to become Muslim by make them pray to God for their sake....

This is the level of the comments in here...

It's a fact that the plane could be repaired cheaper at Perth than at Geraldtown. It's a fact that Perth is 230 miles further than Geraldtown. Nothing to do with chemtrails or tin foil hats. The airline industry over the years is littered with incidents where commercial decisions have compromised safety. Maybe it was perfectly safe to fly on to Perth but the pilot has already told the passengers they may not survive! Once you make that kind of statement Geraldtown would be where you are going. 

3 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

So why blame airasia or call the pilot a looser (as many are doing in here)? The engine can be shout down but still wind pass by and the turbine still spinning, for this were all this vibration for all the flight back (check YouTube and you'll find the video where can clearly see the turbine spinning unbalanced) the captain and his copilot were good to get everybody back to the ground safe and sound. Also the fact that the plane flew for a good 90 minutes without shatter means that mechanically it was in good shape.

Last thing, I read a comment about the airport choose for the emergency landing was Perth for financial porpoise, I think they wanted to hide that everything happened because of a fault of the chemtrials generator, the captain also took this decision probably to try to convert 359 people to become Muslim by make them pray to God for their sake....

This is the level of the comments in here...

I think the pilot was very unprofessional to convey his fear to the passengers, and should be sacked for that reason. 

No doubt there was commercial reasons for not landing at the nearest airport. In my mind a 120 ton jet vibrating like that should land at the nearest airport. 

Having said that, someone made a call to return to perth, so they mustve decided the airframe could take it. 

Thankfully they're not currently searching for the black box, and putting that decision up for scrutiny

If only the pilot had come on the intercom and said something like...

Ladies and gentleman, we are experiencing technical difficulties so we will be returning to Perth as a safety precaution.

Please do not be alarmed. Follow the instructions of the cabin crew and we will land you safely in Perth...

the pilot could have ended up being the Air Asia Scully, but now, despite the safe landing, he comes over as not being very competent.

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I always fly 'top 20' to/from Thailand, and although it usually costs a little more, I accept that it is worth it. What the previous poster said is right - the difference between airline safety records has a lot to do with the Pilots. Well trained, experienced and highly qualified Pilots work at the best airlines, and when something goes wrong, that is who I want to be in charge. Look up world's safest airlines and anyone in the top 10-20 would be OK (Qantas is my preferred choice). Many pilots who work for the 'budget' airlines, like Air Asia, do so because they are not capable and/or not qualified to fly for the better airlines. I used to work with an ex-traffic controller - he lasted 10 years - and could tell some stories about certain airlines and their pilots.

I wouldn't use a Doctor who was only trained/qualified in a 3rd world country, and I wont use such a Pilot. It is like going to a rural Hospital in India and hoping for the best, versus the top private Hospital in Sydney/New York, but the difference in costs is nowhere near the same. I see the extra costs as 'flight insurance'.

My son is a pilot with Air Asia (not Air Asia X who fly A330) and he is very capable and qualified (trained is Australia) as are all the Captains he flies with.

18 minutes ago, kkerry said:

If only the pilot had come on the intercom and said something like...

Ladies and gentleman, we are experiencing technical difficulties so we will be returning to Perth as a safety precaution.

Please do not be alarmed. Follow the instructions of the cabin crew and we will land you safely in Perth...

the pilot could have ended up being the Air Asia Scully, but now, despite the safe landing, he comes over as not being very competent.

...and no extra charge for the vibrating massage.  :smile:

32 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

Probably to stop it they should have lost the wing, you think that the plane could have make it to Perth with just one wing?

Haven't you ever heard of flying on "a wing and a prayer" ?   :tongue:

5 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Geraldton runway is only 1900m long which is barely long enough to land an A320, never mind an A330.

From the video you can see the left engine has blown a blade. The captain shut it down but air flowing through it at 300 knots is enough to make an imbalanced turbine vibrate the aircraft. You can tell it's shut down because the spiral pattern in the engine is visible (it's going maybe 100-200 RPM as opposed to 3000+).

Just because you shut down the engine doesn't means the blades stop spinning from air rushing past them. There's no physical object to stop them spinning. During the pre-flight check you often seen engines spinning in the wind, depending on direction.

Procedure is to fly at slowest speed and descend so as to maintain the slowest speed possible to decrease air flow going into the engine.

Plane was not in any danger although the vibration is disturbing to passengers.

Archived