What is a troll post in your opinion?

observer90210

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument' - Urban Dictionary.

Or when the 'powers' feel a little bit insecure that day and need to throw some TV weight around. 

Lets be honest, the forum would be more boring than it is if we didn't have trolls/didn't troll ourselves sometimes. I am sure most of it is harmless fun and we can all move on from it - we are all adults. 

Edited by wildewillie89

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Lets be honest, the forum would be more boring than it is if we didn't have trolls/didn't troll ourselves sometimes. I am sure most of it is harmless fun and we can all move on from it - we are all adults. 

Agree. :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

'One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument' - Urban Dictionary.

Or when the 'powers' feel a little bit insecure that day and need to throw some TV weight around. 

very true, as sometimes in the funny/controversal comments, there is some form of truth perhaps???

7 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

You sure about that..........look at some of the comments/replies posted in the football section  :cheesy:

90% of all the replies of this entire forum can be related to this definition...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Welcome...............ou 

What I have noticed about your posts Transam is this.

If you post another 107 times without a like you will be posting exactly twice as many as your 'likes' ie 46,292 posts - 23,146 likes.

Edited by owl sees all

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

If you post another 107 times without a like you will be posting exactly twice as many as your 'likes' ie 46,292 posts - 23,146 likes.

I know, don't know how I do it as l worked with my hands all my life.....BUT, my like count would definitely go up if they let me attach a few of my live songs....The ban threat curtailed your enjoyment.....facepalm.gif.0abe9c30c8eb71264d75255c2d08fa4b.gif

All would fully agree, rude, mean, racist or other comment that could be against the law,  deserve a one-way ticket to the trash can....no arguing about that.

But could we consider or not,  that a bit of provocation or controverse can push to further thought and reactions?

Trolls exist, but accusations of trolling are now routinely trotted out by those who choose to hide behind political correctness to shield themselves from a debate they are losing. It's now the simple-minded expedient of those who are offended by anything that doesn't accord with their prejudices. Too often I've seen it bring an interesting debate crashing to a halt.

To my mind, real troll posts are those designed to disrupt the smooth functioning of the forum, either by anti-social behaviour or deliberate nonsensicality (such as the drivel that caused the IMDb forums to be shut down).

Troll posts, to my mind, are NOT provocative posts, NOT posts that employ rhetoric in their argumentation (no matter how extreme), and NOT posts that *some* people have elected to find offensive or disagreeable when others do not.

The problem is how to define acceptable outrage in a society where many people are becoming pathological cry-babies. It would help if people just toughened up. I have never accused anyone of trolling, and never will, because I accept that other people have different opinions and ways of expressing themselves, and choose instead to argue the case.

In any event, the current definition is so broad, and accusations of 'trolling' are now so common as to be fairly meaningless and in themselves are ruining the smooth flow of the forum. It's becoming a means of censorship in the guise of political correctness.

Edited by ddavidovsky

1 minute ago, ddavidovsky said:

Trolls exist, but accusations of trolling are now routinely trotted out by those who choose to hide behind political correctness to shield themselves from a debate they are losing. It's now the simple-minded recourse of those who are offended by anything that doesn't accord with their prejudices. Too often I've seen it bring an interesting debate crashing to a halt.

To my mind, real troll posts are those designed to disrupt the smooth functioning of the forum, either by anti-social behaviour deliberate nonsensicality (such as the drivel that caused the IMDb forums to be shut down).

Troll posts, to my mind, are NOT provocative posts, NOT posts that employ rhetoric in their argumentation (no matter how extreme), and NOT posts that *some* people have elected to find offensive or disagreeable when others do not.

The problem is how to define acceptable outrage in a society where many people are becoming pathological cry-babies. It would help if people just toughened up. I have never accused anyone of trolling, and never will, because I accept that other people have different opinions and ways of expressing themselves, and choose instead to argue the case.

In any event, the current definition is so broad, and accusations of 'trolling' are now so common as to be fairly meaningless and in themselves are ruining the smooth flow of the forum. It's becoming a means of censorship in the guise of political correctness.

But what if I actually know a bloke that goes out of his way, his thing, to troll and bait....?

very true, as sometimes in the funny/controversal comments, there is some form of truth perhaps???

Sometimes those little fleas make a swelling infection over a minor detail leading to an unrelated thread that is rarely funny, is usually iritating, is usually distracting, is usually meant to be sarcastically degrading, and sometimes just so hard to stop scratching. They seem to gather in groups and jump at you one after another at any and every opportunity.

I will not comment on what I think about the way that some moderators moderate or themselves troll. Some moderators seem to be very good and very fair at what they do.

Why doesn't TVF make a forum just for fleas to jump around on each other and leave the rest of us alone? If you want a laugh just click on that forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Shit, I just 'liked' his post above........

3 minutes ago, transam said:

But what if I actually know a bloke that goes out of his way, his thing, to troll and bait....?

If he's contributing to the debate, put up with it. If he's disrupting the debate, ban him. The proviso being that it's often just in the perception, anyway.

Personally, I have only ever considered myself being trolled and baited by those who start screaming 'troll' for no reason.

41 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Go to the news section and mention President Trump is good and watch the trolls and bullies come out.

:)

The best feature on TVF is the ignore button and the trolls go away.

I look for OTT post counts.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Posts promoting the view that kids bear some responsibility for being abused. Stuff like that.

I agree. No prob' there for me.

The recent report into the church in England makes the point that the church consistently made the children feel guilty while covering up for high ranking church members whose abuse of children was rampant.

So there we have it. I reckon the members of TvisaF are more moral than the English church.

If abuse is not tolerated here then what does that say for the church who should be the leading lights.