What is a troll post in your opinion?

observer90210

16 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

This sums up all [most] of the troll posts.

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

All would fully agree, rude, mean, racist or other comment that could be against the law,  deserve a one-way ticket to the trash can....no arguing about that.

But could we consider or not,  that a bit of provocation or controverse can push to further thought and reactions?

Only if it does not fall under the above definition. 

16 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Trolls exist, but accusations of trolling are now routinely trotted out by those who choose to hide behind political correctness to shield themselves from a debate they are losing. It's now the simple-minded expedient of those who are offended by anything that doesn't accord with their prejudices. Too often I've seen it bring an interesting debate crashing to a halt.

To my mind, real troll posts are those designed to disrupt the smooth functioning of the forum, either by anti-social behaviour or deliberate nonsensicality (such as the drivel that caused the IMDb forums to be shut down).

Troll posts, to my mind, are NOT provocative posts, NOT posts that employ rhetoric in their argumentation (no matter how extreme), and NOT posts that *some* people have elected to find offensive or disagreeable when others do not.

The problem is how to define acceptable outrage in a society where many people are becoming pathological cry-babies. It would help if people just toughened up. I have never accused anyone of trolling, and never will, because I accept that other people have different opinions and ways of expressing themselves, and choose instead to argue the case.

In any event, the current definition is so broad, and accusations of 'trolling' are now so common as to be fairly meaningless and in themselves are ruining the smooth flow of the forum. It's becoming a means of censorship in the guise of political correctness.

I agree.  

There are some real instigators on here that like to kick start shit and there are some super sensitive types, usually the targets of the kick starters.  

Applying the definition above, would rule out the thread hi-jackers maybe solving a lot of the issues. IMO

Edited by Nowisee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A troll post is in the eye of the beholder. Many posts that get pulled already have a load of likes attached.

Social media is primarily guarded by folks who can't stand to hear alternative political views, so things that trigger are generally the first to get branded as trolling. Troll posts often force people to think about their own views and why they the feel the way they do. And they frequently create vibrant threads with huge traffic. clicky clicky...

In reality we should do what we can to protect free speech in forums and the internet in general. It won't last much longer. Winter is coming.

Just now, transam said:

Not yet, there is no "again", only happens once a year at Christmas time chummy...:stoner:

Again there is chummy. If it happens once a year therefore it will happen again and again and again chummy:stoner:

And we have "clickbait" threads that are posted onto the forums by the management in order to promote discussion and pump up the viewing figures so as to make it look more attractive to advertisers.

This does not apply of course to TVF.

1 minute ago, Flustered said:

And we have "clickbait" threads that are posted onto the forums by the management in order to promote discussion and pump up the viewing figures so as to make it look more attractive to advertisers.

This does not apply of course to TVF.

Why not, this forum is a business, which you and I can have fun with for free...:thumbsup:

It is not one of those third party forums where they have no actual control...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Why not, this forum is a business, which you and I can have fun with for free...:thumbsup:

It is not one of those third party forums where they have no actual control...

It was a tongue in cheek comment about TVF

I agree.  
There are some real instigators on here that like to kick start shit and there are some super sensitive types, usually the targets of the kick starters.  
Applying the definition above, would rule out the thread hi-jackers maybe solving a lot of the issues. IMO

There are many trolls that wouldn't be seen by all members and some of them go way beyond the pale. Most of the trolls are reported by other members and in many but not all they are reported merely because the member reporting has an opposing opinion to the reported post.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

There are many trolls that wouldn't be seen by all members and some of them go way beyond the pale. Most of the trolls are reported by other members and in many but not all they are reported merely because the member reporting has an opposing opinion to the reported post.

We are damned if we do and damned if of we don't.

12 hours ago, Ron19 said:

We are damned if we do and damned if of we don't.

Indeed, although I do find it mildly amusing that a thread about trolls doesn't seem to have attracted them.

Famous last words methinks :sad:

On 26/06/2017 at 5:08 PM, Morch said:

What would you consider to be a "troll post"?

Posts promoting the view that kids bear some responsibility for being abused. Stuff like that.

No, that comes under censoring opinions you don't agree with. Quite possibly some claims are incorrectly interpreted/remembered, or exaggerated or for attention-seeking purposes. You can't outlaw opinion or debate on such things, no matter how much you personally are outraged.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:40 PM, ddavidovsky said:

No, that comes under censoring opinions you don't agree with. Quite possibly some claims are incorrectly interpreted/remembered, or exaggerated or for attention-seeking purposes. You can't outlaw opinion or debate on such things, no matter how much you personally are outraged.

That would merely be your unsurprising opinion. In most situations and venues, people either exercise some measure of self-restraint or regulation with regard to their words, in many other cases there are also sets of external rules governing such interactions. Hence, opinions cannot be "outlawed",  while their expression certainly can be. The point of view touted above does not actually fully exist.

As for the example cited, my memory is actually in good shape, and so is my understanding of what was posted. I'd say that making the original posts mentioned was more related to attention seeking than calling them out.

Trolls do not seek to encourage discussion or to explore different point of view. They post in order to aggravate others and they come off on the attention and anger generated. IMO, many can spot them for what they are - with or without a whole set of definitions.

On 26.06.2017 at 10:06 AM, timkeen08 said:

Sometimes those little fleas make a swelling infection over a minor detail leading to an unrelated thread that is rarely funny, is usually iritating, is usually distracting, is usually meant to be sarcastically degrading, and sometimes just so hard to stop scratching. They seem to gather in groups and jump at you one after another at any and every opportunity.

I will not comment on what I think about the way that some moderators moderate or themselves troll. Some moderators seem to be very good and very fair at what they do.

Why doesn't TVF make a forum just for fleas to jump around on each other and leave the rest of us alone? If you want a laugh just click on that forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Very true and well said.

One could also tend to believe the little fellas who jump and bait on posts like a bunch of farm dung flies either with rude catty comments, racism, quotes taken out of their context or not fully cited or questions aimed to discredit posters........., these chaps perhaps just despicate that others had something to say, and themselves not as they did not think of it first????

Edited by observer90210

On 6/28/2017 at 7:28 AM, Crossy said:

Indeed, although I do find it mildly amusing that a thread about trolls doesn't seem to have attracted them.

Famous last words methinks :sad:

Give me time crossy, only just seen the thread.:cheesy: