Pattaya baht bus driver thought he was getting a good deal...

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queue the 'quality Indian tourist' jibe.

54 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Those Indians are cheap bastards, I was on Ko larn some time back and two of them were refusing to pay for the beach chairs they were sitting on. The baht bus is only 10 baht, the driver should have woken up to the scam but the greed got the better of him. 

Whoop!... there it is!

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

As he was so happy, he was probably aware of the value of 10 GBP.
The question here is how this man really can believe that 2 people want to pay almost 850 each for travel in a bath bus.

This one is as dumb as they come.

My guess is he gave change - in which case he is out, bigly. Even yugely, relative.

In all seriousness , to come here on holiday and rip off the locals - who work long hard hours for a pittance - is just wrong.

Yes I've had some nasty baht bus drivers over my 14 years here. But I've most often had polite drivers who perform a job that would drive me crazy. Pattaya traffic is insane. And to cheat a guy who has invested in a truck and licenses and works long hours is just plain wrong. If you have been ripped off by a local - understand that there are many more hard working honest Thais,  trying to make vacations for visitors a positive experience. But their hard work goes unnoticed.

Don't paint all Baht Bus drivers with the same brush just because one nasty guy gave you a hard time. I could never get a ride for so cheap in my home country. Give a smile - get a smile back.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Because he was asking for 1000 baht each?

Guess I didn´t get that one. How can you be happy to get 150 Bath smaller than you ask for?
Just take it easy on whatever you are using.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

As he was so happy, he was probably aware of the value of 10 GBP.
The question here is how this man really can believe that 2 people want to pay almost 850 each for travel in a bath bus.

This one is as dumb as they come.

Actually 10 GBP is only about 420 

Well that makes a change,  try getting off the airport bus at Jomptien and getting a bht taxi to a condo,  agree a fare---2 kilometers 250 bht,   AH BUT WAIT,  he gets another 2 people in the same taxi, for another hotel and charges 300 bht.   this has to be stopped,  MAFIA at it's best.

11 minutes ago, DekDaeng said:

My guess is he gave change - in which case he is out, bigly. Even yugely, relative.

And that guess is based on thin air...or...what???

You know what you get if you mix thin air with reality? A dumb bath bus driver!

3 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Well that makes a change,  try getting off the airport bus at Jomptien and getting a bht taxi to a condo,  agree a fare---2 kilometers 250 bht,   AH BUT WAIT,  he gets another 2 people in the same taxi, for another hotel and charges 300 bht.   this has to be stopped,  MAFIA at it's best.

If you agree a fare of 250 bath for 2 km, then I guess you´re in the section of not knowing or dumb.

Take an ordinary taxi with a meter. Maybe you pay 50 Bath with tip. You also don´t get more people in the same car.

If people do that, there ain´t gonna be any business for mafia methods. Sounds a little bit better than just complaining, doesn´t it?

40 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

I got a fake ten pound note at a supermarket at the back of St Pancras..went to pay for a cappuccino in Selfridges and the woman called the manager over who said it was a counterfeit.Apparently she could tell by the feel of the paper and when I looked at the rest of it you would have been hard pressed to even know.Anyway got rid of it at a well known burger outlet...but certainly no Chinese writing on it..LoL!!

You spent it knowing it was counterfeit?

Some body here said it was not counterfeit but Chinese monopoly money,if this is true and the taxi driver accepted it he has no recourse?If you pay with play money and t is accepted you are in the clear?

Interesting.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

And that guess is based on thin air...or...what???

You know what you get if you mix thin air with reality? A dumb bath bus driver!

The observation that if they used the fake notes to pay a 20 baht fare (2 x 10) they were risking jail time if caught - so they had to get something more out of it. 

Story is very vague, go on, give us your profound insights.

1 minute ago, DekDaeng said:

The observation that if they used the fake notes to pay a 20 baht fare (2 x 10) they were risking jail time if caught - so they had to get something more out of it. 

Story is very vague, go on, give us your profound insights.

I just can´t believe that anybody will risk jail time, when obviously paying with childrens play money you can buy in Indochina market or any other shop. Just guess the driver has to be more observant in this particular case. Even strongly believe that the police are just laughing at him.

Just now, Get Real said:

If you agree a fare of 250 bath for 2 km, then I guess you´re in the section of not knowing or dumb.

Take an ordinary taxi with a meter. Maybe you pay 50 Bath with tip. You also don´t get more people in the same car.

If people do that, there ain´t gonna be any business for mafia methods. Sounds a little bit better than just complaining, doesn´t it?

My point is the unsuspecting tourist being charged when they get to the condo---YOU SEE,   not knowing is near.  saying dumb is far too clever.      There are no meter taxis at the Jomptien bus station--OK.     I have been coming 37 years--not dumb and not complaining---have you heard the term AWARENESS---your answer is after brownie points.  YOU SEE NOT EVERYONE IS AS PATTAYA LEARNED AS YOU---get it.

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

Some body here said it was not counterfeit but Chinese monopoly money,if this is true and the taxi driver accepted it he has no recourse?If you pay with play money and t is accepted you are in the clear?

Interesting.

If the driver had video  of them saying they were English 10 quids, then fraud.

Might happen one day - cameras are a coupla hundred baht 

Heap all the scorn you like on the driver, but the message is clear. Never trust an indian ! Recently hears of a new scam they are up to, a complete change to the 10 in a room one. An indian will go into a massage parlor and enjoy 30 minutes of an hour long massage, at which point he will jump up, say the massage was terrible, and storm out of the parlor without paying !

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

There are no ordinary taxis that use a meter in Pattaya. There are no anything taxis that use a meter in Pattaya.

Just mafia backed thieves. The baht bus drivers have become very dishonest over the years also. I have witnessed it many times.

49 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

I got a fake ten pound note at a supermarket at the back of St Pancras..went to pay for a cappuccino in Selfridges and the woman called the manager over who said it was a counterfeit.Apparently she could tell by the feel of the paper and when I looked at the rest of it you would have been hard pressed to even know.Anyway got rid of it at a well known burger outlet...but certainly no Chinese writing on it..LoL!!

So you're admitting to passing counterfeit money. Nice work. And possibly some poor worker had to make up for it later?

1 minute ago, ginjag said:

My point is the unsuspecting tourist being charged when they get to the condo---YOU SEE,   not knowing is near.  saying dumb is far too clever.      There are no meter taxis at the Jomptien bus station--OK.     I have been coming 37 years--not dumb and not complaining---have you heard the term AWARENESS---your answer is after brownie points.  YOU SEE NOT EVERYONE IS AS PATTAYA LEARNED AS YOU---get it.

No, you probably have to walk to the first street outside, to get a taxi meter. Guess that´s hard work.
As always if you come to a country without caring about any knowledge how things work you loose. That´s dumb in my book.
No brownie points here.

Guess I hit a nerve. Sorry, let´s stop at this point then.

4 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

There are no ordinary taxis that use a meter in Pattaya. There are no anything taxis that use a meter in Pattaya.

Just mafia backed thieves. The baht bus drivers have become very dishonest over the years also. I have witnessed it many times.

I guess that changed in the last 2 month

Your the smart one or so you think,  Are you for real, everyone has been mafia'd here, or are you the only NOT DUMB ONE.

There are no meter taxi's on the outside road.  Do you know the area  ??   PLEASE READ AGAIN   the word is awareness, I was making a point to unsuspecting tourist.......BUT AS YOU SAY---they are all dumb for not knowing.  better you help rather than ridicule the dumb people.      SAWADEE.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

It's play money not actually counterfeit.  Counterfeit doesn't have glaring in your face intentional mistakes.

bus/taxie  man say oop's

4 hours ago, champers said:

So...has he lost out on 20 Baht, or did he quote the Indians an outrageously high figure? Looks like it could be a case of the biter being bit.

No..... he lost 20 quid that's why he reported it to the police. :laugh:

Archived