Pattaya baht bus driver thought he was getting a good deal...

webfact

"Real ten pound notes would be worth around 840 baht at the current exchange rate."

not true as most of you will know actually ten pounds at todays rate is worth 433baht *2= 866.

lazy reporting

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't get too clever about this. Even FX shops get caught out and then post up pictures of scammers caught on camera. Most of us do not check every currency note that passes our way. We work on an element of trust. The difference here is that the local accepted a note in lieu of change. What was he supposed to do if the passenger said no local money?

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It's actually Chinese funeral money from Singapore or Hong Kong. Probably the former, given that the guys were 'Indian'.

Nice con.

It is not the paper money for Chinese funeral. According to the Chinese on the note, it is a sort of coupon sample (saying for practicing some sort of Kungfu). I surmise, it is from Mainland China as the Chinese is written in simplified version.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

It's play money not actually counterfeit.  Counterfeit doesn't have glaring in your face intentional mistakes.

it is illegal to use the Queens head etc. as 'play money' but he was an idiot anyway but Thais will be Thais

However, when he later went to change the money at the bank he was told the notes were just fakes.

Yet when a Ferang falls victim to the same scam he gets the old "Come with me sir, this won't take long..."

go-to-jail-monopoly-140x140.jpg

Guy is driving a baht bus trying to make a living. Scams are not acceptable or funny for anyone on the planet. Slamming his intelligence and laughing at another's loss are things children do in grade school until they are taught manners. Peace ?

That well trumps my leaving an expired firearm dealers licence from my home country as my drivers licence for security at a scooter rental place in Luang Prabang some years ago.  (P.S.  Is "trumps" the correct word in context here or should it be spelled with an upper case "T"?)

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The baht driver even gave back change in Thai baht?

it's not worthless...it can be used in Chinese monopoly 

will police be pulled from the traffic division to work on the case?

Not if they are collecting tea money they won't.

it is illegal to use the Queens head etc. as 'play money' but he was an idiot anyway but Thais will be Thais

Now you ARE saying that the Middle Kingdom is part of the Commonwealth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That well trumps my leaving an expired firearm dealers licence from my home country as my drivers licence for security at a scooter rental place in Luang Prabang some years ago.  (P.S.  Is "trumps" the correct word in context here or should it be spelled with an upper case "T"?)

Implying respect? Nah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thais scam us all day every day, it's their God-given right, but don't it pizzzzzzzzzzz them off big time when the tables are turned from time to time.55555555555, anyway great to see. 

I knew a Thai gal down South a few years ago who slept the night with a Vietnamese seaman who was in port for a night, he gave her 10,000 VND and the Thai gal showed me the money and asked how much THB it was worth, she was somewhat shattered when I told her she's spent the night with the seaman for about 15 baht.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

You spent it knowing it was counterfeit?

I don't blame him, as long as he did not pass it to the ordinary working man. Different if it is big business. I mean capitalist companies like McDonalds, BurgerKing etc.

I don't think the person at the till would lose it out of their wages in these circumstances.

Just now, possum1931 said:

I don't blame him, as long as he did not pass it to the ordinary working man. Different if it is big business. I mean capitalist companies like McDonalds, BurgerKing etc.

I don't think the person at the till would lose it out of their wages in these circumstances.

The problem might be that I think it is a criminal offence to knowingly pass on a counterfeit bill. 

I'm actually surprised the person who noticed it was counterfeit allowed him to keep it.

I thought any business finding such bills was legally obliged to keep them and report them to the authorities. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The problem might be that I think it is a criminal offence to knowingly pass on a counterfeit bill. 

I'm actually surprised the person who noticed it was counterfeit allowed him to keep it.

I thought any business finding such bills was legally obliged to keep them and report them to the authorities. 

Your post makes good sense, but your first priority is to yourself, as long as you don't hit back at ordinary people.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Your post makes good sense, but your first priority is to yourself, as long as you don't hit back at ordinary people.

I do see your point, but the money is being passed around and in the end some poor sod is going to end up with it, and lose out, when a legit business or bank catches the bill and confiscates it. 

Got to wonder how many of these bills the supermarket was passing on. 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have like a pile of Zimbabwe dollars, one quad-trillions dollars to be exact,

in crisp brand new banknotes, and I'll be looking to use them in

Pattaya on my next trip down there...

so, if these are like Zimbabwe dollars, they must be fake also.

3 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

I got a fake ten pound note at a supermarket at the back of St Pancras..went to pay for a cappuccino in Selfridges and the woman called the manager over who said it was a counterfeit.Apparently she could tell by the feel of the paper and when I looked at the rest of it you would have been hard pressed to even know.Anyway got rid of it at a well known burger outlet...but certainly no Chinese writing on it..LoL!!

So you continue to use it even after Selfridges staffs told you it was a counterfeit. You were in possession of a counterfeit note and attempt to use it- both a serious crime in Britain. You know that don't you?

I know you felt short changed when someone gave you a counterfeit so you didn't want to lose ten pound you quickly used it to buy a burger. But the law doesn't think that way, you are expected to hand it over to the police and a lot of questions and forms to fill. They try to trace or at least find out how many places the note had been circulated. They have a special team who does this work and very good at it.

3 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

I got a fake ten pound note at a supermarket at the back of St Pancras..went to pay for a cappuccino in Selfridges and the woman called the manager over who said it was a counterfeit.Apparently she could tell by the feel of the paper and when I looked at the rest of it you would have been hard pressed to even know.Anyway got rid of it at a well known burger outlet...but certainly no Chinese writing on it..LoL!!

Tut tut. It's an offense in the UK to pass counterfeit money. Your probably on the Met's most wanted by now :wink:

Archived