BANGKOK 24 July 2019 10:03

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thailand to get tough on foreigners working without work permits, employers also targeted

Thailand to get tough on foreigners working without work permits, employers also targeted

wp.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK:-- Thailand has introduced new laws aimed at controlling the amount of migrant workers in the country, as well as foreigners who work in Thailand illegally.

Under the new laws, which have now come into effect, people who employ foreign workers illegally will also face tougher punishments, with employers set to face fines of between 400,000 – 800,000 THB for each foreigner they employ illegally.

Foreigners found working without a work permit face fines of between 2,000 - 100,000 THB or imprisonment of a maximum of 5 years.

Foreigners who engage in work different to that which is registered in their work permit will be fined up to 100,000 THB.

Under Thai law, some foreigners are prohibited from working in certain professions such as manual work, agriculture and secretarial work. In total there are 39 occupations prohibited to foreigners.

Meanwhile, the new laws will also help to protect the rights of migrant workers in Thailand.

Any employer found to be violating the rights of a migrant worker or who withholds important documents from the worker will face fines up to a maximum of 100,000 THB.

The new penalties were published in the Royal Gazette in a document dated 22 June 2017.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-27

Working in Thailand is a lot of hassle, unless someone else does all the paperwork for you I would not recommend it, there's plenty of other countries which make things a whole lot easier.

I know someone who was fined for painting a wall and know of someone else who was fined for momentarily holding some cables up for a workman.

If you work in Thailand as a foreigner and you will be surveilled by under cover police and they will pounce if you so much as make one tiny 'mistake' - this is with a work permit.

curious to know what work permit the Russian girls have in Pattaya?

Sexy Real Estate Agent or Head Nurse?

Thailand to get tough? That's hysterical. They have been making themselves busy for years, creating situations that can be loosely interpreted as work to screw farang out of money, but now they are going to actually get tough on it. I suspect every reader here knows of more than one who has been set up and "fined."

Do they mean they are actually going to start issuing receipts for the "fines?"

21 minutes ago, Slavomir said:

Bad news for digital nomads?

Too much work to catch a digital nomad and proving the case.. easier to hold them out by not granting visa's

What do they care, it seems that the Thai establishment are always going out of their way to make life harder for foreigners; this is just another example. Legitimately married foreigners ought to be given the right of residency and the right to work.

some foreigners are prohibited from working in certain professions such as manual work"

Good luck getting the Thais to do it

Foreigners who engage in work different to that which is registered in their work permit will be fined up to 100,000 THB.  My lawyer told me to register too be able to work in all positions in the company to protect myself. I was informed that I could only work at the address my company was registered at, this is another stupid rule if you are working countrywide. 

Did I fall asleep and April 1st rolled around again without my noticing it?

Surely 5 years in jail for not having a work permit is a bit harsh. I can't think of another country where that would be threatened

1 hour ago, Slavomir said:

Bad news for digital nomads?

We are not working in Thailand , we just live here as tourists. Pay taxes to home country etc.