Thailand to get tough on foreigners working without work permits, employers also targeted

webfact

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Slavomir said:

Bad news for digital nomads?

They will probably continue to claim that working as a digital nomad from Starbucks is exempt, in all

countries.

I'm aware of one character who claimed that the Thai government wants every citizens to have their own website, facebook and twitter accounts and more and the Thai government gives work permit exemption for the foreigners doing this critical important work.

He went on to say 'how can you survive without a website, facebook, etc etc'?

49 minutes ago, bannork said:

A Thai friend of mine has a car care business. He employed Mon workers from Myanmar, 3 days ago they all had to quit due to no work permits. They've gone back to try to get legal, how much it's going to cost is still uncertain but my friend swears by them. Hardworking and on time. They couldn't believe it when he gave them a New Year bonus last year.

As he said, Thais don't want to do dirty , hard or dangerous work, not that I would put car cleaning in any of those categories!

I remember seeing hundreds of Myanmar workers on a project on Bangkok Sukhumvit opposite Emporium a couple of years ago. I used to have to make my way through them in the morning on my way from soi 18 to Villa on 33. 

I assume like all the crackdowns it will be followed up until next weeks crackdown and then a new way for BIB to make a few quid

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

They will probably continue to claim that working as a digital nomad from Starbucks is exempt, in all

countries.

I'm aware of one character who claimed that the Thai government wants every citizens to have their own website, facebook and twitter accounts and more and the Thai government gives work permit exemption for the foreigners doing this critical important work.

He went on to say 'how can you survive without a website, facebook, etc etc'?

You can get 4G Wi-Fi bundles with all the mobile providers for next to nothing.

Very few nomads sit in Starbucks these days

You guys can poke fun at them all you like but they're not lying awake at night wondering how low their home currency will be against the Thai baht like more than a few of the fixed income people are.

3 hours ago, Slavomir said:

Nomads aren't employed by Thai companies, at least the majority of them. 

Besides, tourist authority officials clearly mentioned that digital nomads can work under the premise of obtaining just a tourist visa. I think TAT is in the works of providing a separate and unique work visa based on the nomad structure, but it's still in the consideration. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

We are not working in Thailand , we just live here as tourists. Pay taxes to home country etc. 

"Pay taxes to home country etc."  Aye right!  Referring to the UK here.  

4 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Think Indonesia also got 5 years if no work permit

I suppose it would put people of doing it. Probably would depend on where the offender came from , can't see them banging up German bar managers of English teachers for 5 years

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

why not? you can bring in all the laws you want but if the authorities dont enforce them they aren't worth the paper they're written on. and thailand doesn't have a great record of enforcement of legislation (unless there is something in it for them)

They are not going to enforce any laws if there are brown envelopes getting passed around.

Working in Thailand is a lot of hassle, unless someone else does all the paperwork for you I would not recommend it, there's plenty of other countries which make things a whole lot easier.

I know someone who was fined for painting a wall and know of someone else who was fined for momentarily holding some cables up for a workman.

If you work in Thailand as a foreigner and you will be surveilled by under cover police and they will pounce if you so much as make one tiny 'mistake' - this is with a work permit.

Crap. You are misinformed.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Working in Thailand is a lot of hassle, unless someone else does all the paperwork for you I would not recommend it, there's plenty of other countries which make things a whole lot easier.

I know someone who was fined for painting a wall and know of someone else who was fined for momentarily holding some cables up for a workman.

If you work in Thailand as a foreigner and you will be surveilled by under cover police and they will pounce if you so much as make one tiny 'mistake' - this is with a work permit.

Im in a group with 130 people all working with work permits

Nobody has had any issues. Not a single one.

Bangkok, chiang mai, samui.

All in IT. 

We're lucky or its because our profession or?

4 minutes ago, hobz said:

Im in a group with 130 people all working with work permits

Nobody has had any issues. Not a single one.

Bangkok, chiang mai, samui.

All in IT. 

We're lucky or its because our profession or?

Do you got work permits for Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Sura thani (Samui) provinces?

3 hours ago, Slavomir said:

Possible, there's several groups.

Digital nomads without work permit.

Digital nomads with questionable work permits.

Bar/restaurant/hotel owners without work permits?

Migrant workers from myanmar, cambodia, etc.

English teachers without work permit.

The problem with these kinds of government announcements/pronouncements is it's always kind of hard to tell:

--if this is the 1 out of 100 pronouncements that they'll actually be serious about enforcing on an ongoing basis?

or

--if this is like the 99 out of 100 other pronouncements where it matters for a few days and then back to business as usual after that?

13 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Crap. You are misinformed.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I assure you, I'm not misinformed. This happens in Hua Hin all the time. I don't know much about the rest of the country.

If you work in a place where you can be seen and tested they will come and watch and test, simple as that.

Archived