Thailand to get tough on foreigners working without work permits, employers also targeted

webfact

On 9/13/2017 at 7:49 AM, geronimo said:

Not really. Sitting in front of a laptop is not clearly defined as employment and very difficult to prove, and by the time they catch on, there won't be computers anymore!

I wouldn't bet on that. Immigration seems to be increasingly interested in the source of our incomes. It affects mainly visa runners; but apparently even retirees are being asked to document their cash flow, in addition to the 800. I refer here to some a recent thread, here on TV.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand is about 50 years behind of time. In the West I can work for any company in the world, wherever I stay. Why this should not be possible in Thailand and how they want to control digital nomads? When working for a company in my home country I am not working in Thailand.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:59 AM, AloisAmrein said:

Thailand is about 50 years behind of time. In the West I can work for any company in the world, wherever I stay. Why this should not be possible in Thailand and how they want to control digital nomads? When working for a company in my home country I am not working in Thailand.

After Brexit, Britains will find this far more difficult.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:52 AM, KiChakayan said:

I wouldn't bet on that. Immigration seems to be increasingly interested in the source of our incomes. It affects mainly visa runners; but apparently even retirees are being asked to document their cash flow, in addition to the 800. I refer here to some a recent thread, here on TV.

It's pretty clear that it's wwork under Thai law.

You are breaking 2 main laws, firstly visa and secondly you aren't paying tax and are living in the kingdom.

Not too difficult to enforce....especially if someone doesn't like you.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, Thai Ron said:

You've got all manner of deadbeats coming here, getting married and divorced inside a year and a lot of them can't even meet the 400k criteria for a 1 year extension.

Funny that! that must be  the same in the UK and US , how many people have 400k sitting around doing nothing every year. When salaries stay still and the cost of living keeps increasing. The fact one has a proven continuous work record , pays taxes and is debt free, has medical cover,  should be proof enough. 

12 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It's pretty clear that it's wwork under Thai law.

You are breaking 2 main laws, firstly visa and secondly you aren't paying tax and are living in the kingdom.

Not too difficult to enforce....especially if someone doesn't like you.

Now there is an interesting thought!

If there is any of "dobbing in", I wonder if it would be done by Thais, or other "Falangs"?

Hmm...

Teaching in Thailand below International school level where you get highly paid and full respect is akin to picking grapes in the outback of Australia.

It's usually a job for the Uni gap year student, traveller, relationship with a Thai hopefuls and the retired expats. That's why the crackdowns on people without WP's never happens.

Also the average school salary for foreign teachers is low. Pay peanuts and you get a monkey.

The only reason the Thai's might crackdown on teachers working without proper paperwork is:-

1) To gain face and promotion.
2) To show they are doing something.
3) Xenophobia rises and jealousy reigns
4) To mirror similar policies in neighbouring countries.
5) A powerful elite player with a grievence.

So all in all, nothing changes really. They still need backpackers to teach as they need qualified public school teachers in International schools.

Tighten the rules to much and whose gunner pick the grapes?

On 6/27/2017 at 9:05 PM, little mary sunshine said:

Something is wrong here.  Two British friends, each

with a Masters Degree in Education began teaching

in BKK last year B 65,000 per month!?

Depends. Thammasat way outside city is paying 60k appears to be reasonable hours, but can't retain teachers. Can be anything including living in Pathumthani. Srinakharinwirot is dying for teachers, paying 65k but it's actually an insane job - two 32k jobs put together.

I'm interested in university teaching but I just don't see the money, especially for a 57yo guy with only a BA despite a solid university and four excellent Thai secondary schools, extracurriculars and additional responsibilities.

All the third tier+ universities employ Filipinos because they are the only one with the "degrees" and will work for peanuts. As a rule, universities don't pay but I see that changing. It would change faster if the people in these positions shifted up to better jobs or left. Then they'd be confronted with the reality the secondaries are dealing with.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:20 PM, darksidedog said:

I suspect every reader here knows of more than one who has been set up and "fined."

set up? does ot mean that someone forced him to work under gun threat? no all those who were "set up" had their free choice to obey the law or not.

If you are looking to teach English, South Korea offering free airfares, free accommodation,  free feed, free visa and WP, better classroom conditions and a good salary.  Thailand good for a holiday, but too much headache for work.

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Teaching in Thailand below International school level where you get highly paid and full respect is akin to picking grapes in the outback of Australia.

It's usually a job for the Uni gap year student, traveller, relationship with a Thai hopefuls and the retired expats. That's why the crackdowns on people without WP's never happens.

Also the average school salary for foreign teachers is low. Pay peanuts and you get a monkey.

The only reason the Thai's might crackdown on teachers working without proper paperwork is:-

So all in all, nothing changes really. They still need backpackers to teach as they need qualified public school teachers in International schools.

Let alone teach people that "gonna" is the colloquial form of "going to", whereas "gunner" is a term to describe a soldier who fires a crew served weapon...

I learned that at the Koh Sahn Road University - the lecture notes are in my backpack somewhere.

When I do my Master's I will learn about the difference between "to", "too" and "two".

5 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

If you dislike Thailand leave. You are not a citizen of Thailand. They are an autonomous country. Let's stretch, they could throw you out of Thailand or seize your property. They can change their laws. They can permit only people with high pensions or assets, and only if they don't work or work. No extended visas for people younger than 55. You are there at the will of their country. You can take your complaint to this forum at the will of Thailand. They don't hsve to listen. And, if they do listen they can make miserable for you. Good luck pissing off a older person who might employ you or fire you.

5 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

If you dislike Thailand leave. You are not a citizen of Thailand. They are an autonomous country. Let's stretch, they could throw you out of Thailand or seize your property. They can change their laws. They can permit only people with high pensions or assets, and only if they don't work or work. No extended visas for people younger than 55. You are there at the will of their country. You can take your complaint to this forum at the will of Thailand. They don't hsve to listen. And, if they do listen they can make miserable for you. Good luck pissing off a older person who might employ you or fire you.

It amazes me that people still think that this old cliche is some kind of argument.... what rock have they been under?

I did not read all the posts obviously - get your house in order if you are not following the law must be an obvious comment. And I for one support that - stop whinging about others and side issues - just get your own house in order.

10 hours ago, JAG said:

Let alone teach people that "gonna" is the colloquial form of "going to", whereas "gunner" is a term to describe a soldier who fires a crew served weapon...

I learned that at the Koh Sahn Road University - the lecture notes are in my backpack somewhere.

When I do my Master's I will learn about the difference between "to", "too" and "two".

I'm further ahead than you JAG. I'm currently  studying for my doctorate just up the road from Khaosan at Soi Rambuttri  University I'm currently learning how to use apostrophes which I can see Wilsonandson is still struggling with 

What does he mean by the Thai's might?

Which Thai's might or power is he referring to? He doesn't say.  

And what is a Thai hopefuls?

Never mind. Between picking grapes or bananas in the outback, I have some free time to upgrade his written English, and hey, after all, he only needs to pay me peanuts.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:11 PM, Suttisan said:

Doesn't sound like good news for the TEFL industry. 

All a part of Thailand withdrawing from the non-ASEAN world I fear.

Scorched Earth in doing his masters bidding.

19 hours ago, kwilco said:

After Brexit, Britains will find this far more difficult.

Nonsense!  

As a Norwegian I work as a digital nomad , my customer base is in Norway . EU got nothing to do with your work . We've never been a member . 

13 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

Oh,  A go home post,  this is most unusual on Tv nowadays.

Sounds a bit like Ex-pat bashing. :smile:

3 hours ago, balo said:

Nonsense!  

As a Norwegian I work as a digital nomad , my customer base is in Norway . EU got nothing to do with your work . We've never been a member . 

A semi-member perhaps

Some of the benefits, none of the work.

4 hours ago, balo said:

Nonsense!  

Sadly it seems you like many others are unaware of the ties, treaties and agreements between Norway and the EU ... as Britain will lose all these, in particular free movement of Labour I find your premise rather lacking.

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Sadly it seems you like many others are unaware of the ties, treaties and agreements between Norway and the EU ... as Britain will lose all these,

I am aware of everything , and Britan will not lose the ties completely .  Britain will negotiate better deals , just like Norway had to do for 30 years. 

You worry too much , as a Brit you should be happy . 

Archived