"Expert gang" steal 370,000 baht from ATM outside minimart on Route 344 in Chonburi

webfact

"Expert gang" steal 370,000 baht from ATM outside minimart on Route 344 in Chonburi

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHONBURI/PATTAYA: -- A gang of thieves using gas apparatus cut their way into an Omsin bank ATM machine on the Ban Bung - Klaeng Road yesterday morning and stole 370,000 baht.

The ATM is located outside a minimart and local government sub-office in Nong Yai district.

Police and reporters were on the scene yesterday morning where minimart owner Saiphin Suraprasert 53, said that at 4.40 am she had

been awakened by the loud noise of a truck's horn that went on for some time.

She thought nothing of it and went back to sleep but when she go up she saw what had happened to the ATM and called the cops.

Mobile service computer expert Somsak Bunsom who was investigating the theft said that the criminals were experts as they had cut the warning communication cable that would have alerted the bank.

Documentation that was left behind by the crooks - thought to be a gang of severa men due to the work involved - showed that 370,400 baht was missing.

Unfortunately the minimart owner said there was no CCTV outside her shop as there had never been any trouble there before.

Several police stations are involved in the hunt for the thieves.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-29

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Surely cutting the communication cable should have alerted the bank as well ??

You would think eh? But maybe "mobile service computer expert Somsak Bunsom who was investigating the theft" has unwittingly pointed out to other wannabe ATM robbers that cutting the communications link isn't necessary so they need not waste time with it.

Maybe the bank ATM security alert watcher at some office in Lardprao has the same affliction as "minimart owner Saiphin Suraprasert 53, said that at 4.40 am she had
been awakened by the loud noise of a truck's horn that went on for some time. She thought nothing of it and went back to sleep"
and after hearing the "ATM communications lost" alarm, thought nothing of it and went back to sleep, surfed Facebook, LINE'd his girfriend, played Candy Crush, etc., etc..

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Unfortunately the minimart owner said there was no CCTV outside her shop as there had never been any trouble there before.

Typical... but is not that akin to locking the door once the horse has bolted??

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

So an early arrest is imminent.

I know , you are been sarcastic here, but in most similar cases the RTP get those criminals !!! apparently the robbers were professionals ? ?...those guys always make mistakes during or after there deeds...

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Actually, I don't think the bank or central server communicates with the ATM on an especially regular basis.  They tend to be transaction oriented.  In addition, some ATMs literally "dial up" a connection only when needed.

On 29/06/2017 at 3:49 AM, Get Real said:

Who just don´t care if they hear a big truck and a horn, that is ongoing for some time? I guess everything is "never mind".

It drowns out the sounds of barking dogs and arc cutters!

Yes amazing nobody got up to go see what the racket was.

22 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Good on the thieves. The banks are now robbing me of 220 bht every time I make a withdrawal in foreign funds.... three cheers!

Good on you for not realizing they now have an excuse to rob you of 250 bht.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:11 AM, webfact said:

"Expert gang"

21 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Than it must be those pesky farrangs again.

No, hence expert. The farang method, or at least the Brit method, is far less subtle.

Two Chonburi Brits “Dumb & Dumber” Arrested in Failed ATM Heist

Two British men used a car to pull out an ATM unit off the wall in Chonburi. The two suspects confessed that they needed extra cash.

--http://pattayadailynews.com/two-chonburi-brits-dumb-dumber-arrested-in-failed-atm-heist/

You may read 24 pages of TVF discussion here: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566264-two-britons-nabbed-for-atm-thefts-in-chon-buri/

23 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Good on the thieves. The banks are now robbing me of 220 bht every time I make a withdrawal in foreign funds.... three cheers!

No, no, no! The pure fact is that you are the one that gladly pay the fee by using a foreign ATM card. I guess nobody forced you to do that, right?

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

No, no, no! The pure fact is that you are the one that gladly pay the fee by using a foreign ATM card. I guess nobody forced you to do that, right?

Really pickin' at straws with that one.... how long you been here? 

Been here 14 years seen it going up from 50 bht to 220 so either you don't know what you are talking about or you have a money tree in your yard.

I still have to withdraw mine.

So GET REAL ... 

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Good on you for not realizing they now have an excuse to rob you of 250 bht.

Yeah... I guess they are going to have to make up for the lost money. Rob one ATM and then charge everyone for it... You so clever... why had I not thought of that...

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Been here 14 years seen it going up from 50 bht to 220 so either you don't know what you are talking about or you have a money tree in your yard.

So GET REAL ... 

Wow! Yep, but then I just beat you with 3 years. Been living here for 17 years. No, Money trees in the yard does not work, but if you stay here legally you can easy have one or more bank accounts here. As for living here 14 years, you would be aware of that.

You just made it even more stupid to use a foreign ATM for 14 consecutive years and complain about the fee.

By the way, I am as real as they come. You on the other hand seems to live in the blue.

I just found a better way to withdraw, like it seems. Doesn´t it? At least I save 220 Bath everytime I take out money.

Have a nice weekend! Cheers

On 6/29/2017 at 11:00 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

communications cable is also know as a garden variety network or internet cable. the machine would just show offline

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

Wow! Yep, but then I just beat you with 3 years. Been living here for 17 years. No, Money trees in the yard does not work, but if you stay here legally you can easy have one or more bank accounts here. As for living here 14 years, you would be aware of that.

You just made it even more stupid to use a foreign ATM for 14 consecutive years and complain about the fee.

By the way, I am as real as they come. You on the other hand seems to live in the blue.

I just found a better way to withdraw, like it seems. Doesn´t it? At least I save 220 Bath everytime I take out money.

Have a nice weekend! Cheers

You yap and yep and jabberwok a lot but don't offer solutions on avoiding costs at an ATM. Congratulations on being here 17 years you did beat me... I am rolling around in pain.

So get real, how do you avoid costs on importing money from abroad? Dying to know your secret.

Or maybe this is where you will realize that you just put your mouth in  it...

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

You yap and yep and jabberwok a lot but don't offer solutions on avoiding costs at an ATM. Congratulations on being here 17 years you did beat me... I am rolling around in pain.

So get real, how do you avoid costs on importing money from abroad? Dying to know your secret.

Or maybe this is where you will realize that you just put your mouth in  it...

Several ways ,but i have used www.transferwise.com to transfer money from a bank abroad to a Thai bank .Better exchange rate that main stream banks ,and small transfer charge .You will need to open a Thai bank account which is easy ,even on a Tourist visa .

On 6/30/2017 at 2:46 PM, LazySlipper said:

So GET REAL ... 

I been here 23 years & nothing in life is free, would you work for free? simple answer & i aint rich, is reality

Archived