Belgian tourist's death on Koh Tao - police deny several online rumors

Jonathan Fairfield

16 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Wonder why the local police says she hanged herself and why did police keep this case secret to this day??????

"Police told the mother that the daughter had committed suicide and hanged herself on a tree. We have information from an eye-witnesses that the body of Elise was wrapped up in old T-Shirts or some cotton and a fuel bottle was found in a nearby small bag, too. The mother has confirmed this information and was passed on to her by the police, although she cannot accept why her daughter would have killed herself – she was acting normally during their last conversation and no signs of depression were visible, said mother Michele. She also wonders why she booked a transfer to Bangkok and then went into the jungle to commit suicide."

Cases of female hangings are incredibly rare. An experienced police psychologist in Germany said women kill themselves almost always by overdose or cutting there wrist but he never had a single case in his career with a young female taking a rope out in the unknown nature.

The coroner said she died of suffocation like with hangings. But the corps was so decomposed they were unable to identify her. But they are able for 100% to diagnose that?

BTW: we actually have famous belgian female singer that hung herself. So they do happen, but like you said overdose and wrist cutting are the more popular methods for women.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Koh Tao again in the spotlight after mother of dead Belgian woman questions cause of death
By The Nation 

477107da9d721861a7687c2d01a66358.jpeg

Elise Dallemange//her FB

KOH TAO: -- Police on the resort island of Koh Tao off Surat Thani province are on the hot seat again after the mother of a Belgian woman who was found dead on the island expressed doubts about the circumstances that led to her death.

Michele van Egten, the mother of Elise Dallemange, has appealed to the public asking anyone who knows anything about her daughter’s movements before her death to come forward, the Samui Times reported on Thursday. 

Thai police reportedly concluded that she had hanged herself.

After the story went viral online, Pol Colonel Preecha Klatsawat, the Surat Thani deputy police chief, told reporters that he had already assigned Pol LtColonel Chokchai Suthimek, a Koh Tao police commander, to file a report on Dallemange’s death within three days.

Koh Tao has a notorious reputation domestically and internationally after two British backpackers, Hannah Witheridge, 23 and David Miller, 24, were found brutally murdered on the island in September 2014.

Two Myanmar nationals, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, were arrested and charged with murders, and now face the death penalty after the Appeals Court upheld their sentences in March of this year. However, the police’s handling of the case made many people doubt whether the two men are the real killers.

According to the Samui Times, Dallemange contacted her mother via Skype on April 17 from the neighbouring island of Koh Phangan to inform her that she was coming home after 18 months of travelling in many countries including India, Australia and New Zealand. She was also a regular visitor to Thailand.

Initial information showed that she had arrived on Koh Tao two days later and checked into the Triple B Bungalows in Mae Haad Koh Tao, but three bungalows including her own had caught fire on her first night there. The owner of the bungalows said the blaze was caused by an electrical failure. 

Dallemange then reportedly walked several kilometres to Tanote Bay, where she booked a ticket to Bangkok via Chumphon province for April 24. 

Her luggage later arrived in Chumphon but her body was found on a rock above Tanote Bay on April 27.

According to the Samui Times, autopsies were performed at a Surat Thani Hospital and then at the Institute of Forensic Medicine Police Hospital in Bangkok. Because her body had been eaten by animals including monitor lizards, she was identified by her teeth and Xray photos provided by van Egten.

Preecha told reporters that her mother had come to Thailand and acknowledged the results of the autopsy. 

However, van Egten said she had not been contacted by police again. 

Preecha added that he would ask police in Chumphon to verify reports that her luggage had been found in the province, adding that he would also confirm that the body had been partially eaten by animals.

Dellemange was cremated in Bangkok two weeks after her remains were found.

The Samui Times reported that Dellemange reportedly had spent more than a year on Koh Phangan in a yoga and tantra community and she was also an active member of Sacred, an Indian religious sect associated with the Sathya Sai Baba cult. The group resides on Koh Phangan between Thong Sala and Hin Kong villages.

In her recent statements to the media, van Egten said she did not believe the police’s conclusion that her daughter had hanged herself, as she looked normal during their last conversation via Skype and did not show any signs of depression. She also questioned why Dellemange booked a flight to Bangkok if she was really about to commit suicide.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319476

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-30

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

This island's death toll is harder on Thailand's image than a gyrating teen singer.  Where is the outrage and section 44 about this? 

I hope the western media cranks up the pressure.

Don't need section 44 as Prayuth has already stated the the police there do an absolutely fantastic job, he even rewarded them after the arrest of the two Burmese and saving tourism and restoring the islands/Thailand's image.

5 hours ago, TheLobster said:

3 posts in a row observer90210, my pet hate, and it would suggest you have a vested interest in discrediting the possibility of death island & co. striking again.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/inside-the-bizarre-cult-backpacker-had-joined-before-being-found-dead-and-half-eaten-by-lizards-on-thailands-murder-island/ar-BBDrt60?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

It has taken 2 months to report this. Two <deleted> months.

A final point, never let your loved ones be cremated in Thailand, get them home for a real autopsy.

Problem with that they cremate quickly even without the consent of family.  

6 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Is there a serial killer on koh toa? So many  suspicious hangings and deaths - rhetorical question I guess 

Doesn't have to be a serial killer so much as others feeling they know that some 'cover ups' have probably occurred and so then why not they get to have misdeeds 'covered up' too. A sort of keeping up with the Jones is going on on the island, every tom dick and Somchai is entitled to at least one cover up.

7 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Is there a serial killer on koh toa? So many  suspicious hangings and deaths - rhetorical question I guess 

I think there's at least one, and if there are more than one, they act in concert,  and are protected figures.  These guys act with impunity.   The murders of Hannah and David were very inconvenient for them, because a huge amount of money was spent to cover it up, find scapegoats, and protect the protected.  Aside from this, there is nothing to govern their behaviour,  and they will continue until forcibly stopped.  I feel these guys are addicted to violence, power, and control, and they will continue to kill and rape until somebody who has power and actually gives a rat's ass stops them forcibly. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

She also questioned why Dellemange booked a flight to Bangkok if she was really about to commit suicide.

That certainly doesn't sound normal. As with every incident on Koh Tao, there are always unanswered questions, that do not tie in with the official account.

A suicide verdict without any goodbye note, from a woman according to her mother in fine spirits, who has booked onward travel, sounds highly implausible.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of all the places to go in the world, why do people choose that place. Don't they do any research when planning a trip?

Especially a lone female.  RIP

Why doesn't some ex spec ops, SAS, or wet works guy (a real one), just go down there, and drink beer during the day,, and covertly sort those out responsible after dark,,, The locals would blame it on a, "ghost",,,, and would absolutely terrify those responsible, including those that cover it up, and we all know how the locals feel about ghost's,,,, I for one, would LOVE to see the reports coming out of, "Death Island" about it.... It's OBVIOUS there is some one responsible, and the BIB only care about covering it up, and protecting the $ train....

10 hours ago, baboon said:

I meet / have met a fair few on their way there. You would be astonished by the number who are aware of the killings but simply couldn't care less, I'm afraid. Nor could they care less about lining the pockets of any mafia figures - It's all about them and their enjoyment.

Those of you who think that travel warnings will make the slightest difference to Ko Tao's tourist demographic are very sorely mistaken, in my opinion. That is not to say they should not be issued...

It's the "that will never happen to me attitude ".

9 hours ago, smedly said:

not speaking about Thailand  just a general comment - you have your own thoughts and opinions about what goes on  

when you have corruption with police and justice systems there are no barriers - it runs right through the whole system from top to bottom, from the police - forensics - coroner - local authorities - people of influence - courts - judges  and all ultimately linked to money or protection or both, it enables the outcomes of investigations to be completely manipulated - evidence hidden away - evidence made up to look a certain way without any way of proving otherwise - manufactured witness statements etc. the list is endless but the goal is the same, this is why in the west we have procedures for everything and we actually have police etc. who will do their very best to solve a crime and bring the right people to justice.

I agree with everything in your post, but why don't your beloved junta do something about it???

Silly me asking I know, because you' and the rest of the fanboys will have convinced yourselves that it isn't their fault and justify it (as usual) by saying that the previous governments didn't do anything either. 

Why do people go to Koh Tao "Death Island" ...All the Embassy's need to put out a warning about this place, or even make it off limits.....In the military we had places or area's that were off limits to us, it's not that hard to do.

9 hours ago, smedly said:

not speaking about Thailand  just a general comment - you have your own thoughts and opinions about what goes on  

when you have corruption with police and justice systems there are no barriers - it runs right through the whole system from top to bottom, from the police - forensics - coroner - local authorities - people of influence - courts - judges  and all ultimately linked to money or protection or both, it enables the outcomes of investigations to be completely manipulated - evidence hidden away - evidence made up to look a certain way without any way of proving otherwise - manufactured witness statements etc. the list is endless but the goal is the same, this is why in the west we have procedures for everything and we actually have police etc. who will do their very best to solve a crime and bring the right people to justice.

You certainly don't want to imply all the above does not exist in western countries?

Then you must be the fourth money, the one that has all the ailments of the other three.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of all the places to go in the world, why do people choose that place. Don't they do any research when planning a trip?

Because it is marketed hard as a backpacker paradise.

It has been off my list of places to go for many years.

53 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I agree with everything in your post, but why don't your beloved junta do something about it???

Silly me asking I know, because you' and the rest of the fanboys will have convinced yourselves that it isn't their fault and justify it (as usual) by saying that the previous governments didn't do anything either. 

I think you're overestimating the power of any leader here in LOS (or underestimating the power of money).  Do you believe that any guy in charge in Thailand (ever) isn't surrounded by employees who are also in the employ of special interests who report everything that happens, and may be called upon to take him out if their interests are put at risk?

The corruption has been decades (centuries?) in the making.  It's not going to be solved by one peaceful coup.

Tourism is big business and often will be protected at any cost.   

Even in Maui , Hawaii shark attacks are hushed up and not reported so as not to damage the islands "perfect Honeymoon destination" image .  

Certainly, a homicide would not look good for Koh Tao. 

Archived