Belgian tourist's death on Koh Tao - police deny several online rumors

Jonathan Fairfield

It's now the end of June. Why so long to report this? Quick burning of the body made sure there was no proper investigation. The Russian tourist is still missing. Thailand once again covers up its crimes for the sake of its golden cow tourism.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

I crossed Koh Tao off my bucket list a long time ago.

It should be OK but make sure it's the last place on the list that you visit!

Time for some top international investigative journalism on this island.

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The culprits came from a close border, swam across and committed the crime - case closed.

More seriously, time to purchase some good CSI approved DNA investigation equipment and training, rather then spend billions the the US Made military crap...could save far more lives.

Maybe the European Union could wake up and walk down from it's throne in Bruxelles and ask Thailand for some clarifications?

In the meantime, girls, especially those travelling alone, should take extra caution and even avoid the area if possible....but that is IMHO... I'm sure the parents of this poor girl would think the same if they could travel back in time...

Deepest sympathy to her familiy and close ties.

Requiescant in pace©

If the European Union tried to do that, it would run into trouble with some or all of its members as individual countries reserve that right to themselves. This would be especially the case where there is already diplomatic representation in the country.

If you want someone to blame, you should look to each of the governments of the nationals who died there. It is they who have done nothing.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

There are too many deaths, and too few explanations that are accepted.

Koh Tao SCREAMS for a thorough investigation.

Enough already!

well I agree with you but there are several problems with that

- who in Thailand would you trust to carry out such an investigation

- in order to investigate you need access to all original evidence even if it was not presented to a court, if there is corruption then any such evidence that would expose it would have been destroyed. 

-  witnesses too scared to tell the truth or are no longer available to do so

11 hours ago, smedly said:

not speaking about Thailand  just a general comment - you have your own thoughts and opinions about what goes on  

when you have corruption with police and justice systems there are no barriers - it runs right through the whole system from top to bottom, from the police - forensics - coroner - local authorities - people of influence - courts - judges  and all ultimately linked to money or protection or both, it enables the outcomes of investigations to be completely manipulated - evidence hidden away - evidence made up to look a certain way without any way of proving otherwise - manufactured witness statements etc. the list is endless but the goal is the same, this is why in the west we have procedures for everything and we actually have police etc. who will do their very best to solve a crime and bring the right people to justice.

and the perpetrators not only know it but feel it is encouraged by lack of any pushback by any serious power; that and the fact the behavior has been entrenched for years

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Aren't the Thais on the island concerned about all the farang ghosts haunting the place?  

They then will advertise Koh Tao not as death island but as Ghost Island.

Come to Koh Tao and meet ghosts..

But I think, it's better to send Hercule Poirot over for an investigation  than have it done by the RTP.

First it was said, that the victim was found lying on the ground covered up with some old T-shirts. It was also said, that a monitor lizard was moving forth and back to a certain spot in the jungle, and folks following the monitor lizard finally found the corpse, which was partly eaten by lizards.

Now the official version is, that she hanged herself and the police offered a photo, in which she could not be identified, and the corpse was (hastily) cremated, (to erase traces), And then we also have that Russian girl, which mysteriously disappeared.

If you ask me, the real culprits of the David Miller and Hannah Witheridge are still on the island going about their gruesome business.

This old article convinced me and formed my opinion:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run/

..especially the fact, that Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen was suddenly removed from this case, and replaced, two days later the 2 Burmese were the new suspects, tortured to confess and finally convicted.

Koh Tao police chief Pol Lt Col Chokchai Sutthimek on Thursday confirmed the tourist’s death but said Elise was “found with a rope tied to her neck from a tree in the jungle and evidence showed that she could have died between April 23-24”.

Michele said she had never been shown pictures of her daughter where police claim she was found — normal practice for officers and rescue workers to photograph the scene.

So from being seen running from the fire she mysteriously managed to get herself hung?  Death island is a good name for the place, local influential people & blind police.  Tourists should just stay away from this place.. paradise it is not !

4 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There was also another couple of suspicious deaths, the guy that was found dead in the swimming pool shortly after the murder of the British couple is the one that springs to mind.

Looks like Thailand has another Charles Sobhraj on their hands. 

Or maybe the Boston strangler"s son

Having working in the field of Forensics and numerous types of cases of injury/death. I can tell you that this case along with many cases in Thailand, the police work is woefully  awful. The training for crime scene investigation is horrible to nonexistent. Trained investigators barely exist. The US (FBI) over the years have conducted numerous exchange programs and seminars with the various Thai police forces, with little to no benefit. Add a health dose of organized corruption and the accurate timeline of events will not be determined. "Bagged with accompanied excuses" becomes the norm. 

They're missing out on a potentially huge "murder tourism" market.

Bring your intended victim to Thailand and bump them off in a way that can possibly be called out as suicide by the cops.  Just do it in an area with no working CCTV cameras.

That's what I'd do if I wanted to get rid of someone with a negligible chance of being caught.  I suspect some folks would pay big tourist $$$ to get rid of someone causing irritations in their life.

3 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

Having working in the field of Forensics and numerous types of cases of injury/death. I can tell you that this case along with many cases in Thailand, the police work is woefully  awful. The training for crime scene investigation is horrible to nonexistent. Trained investigators barely exist. The US (FBI) over the years have conducted numerous exchange programs and seminars with the various Thai police forces, with little to no benefit. Add a health dose of organized corruption and the accurate timeline of events will not be determined. "Bagged with accompanied excuses" becomes the norm. 

The exchange programs would be treated by the police who do them would be just a great holiday in America  Thais are never serious about nothing

3 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

The exchange programs would be treated by the police who do them would be just a great holiday in America  Thais are never serious about nothing

True. In addition, the FBI has come to different cities countless times to provide basic and advanced coursework. I have a bit of firsthand knowledge of this. Unfortunately, it was easily discarded.

14 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

True. In addition, the FBI has come to different cities countless times to provide basic and advanced coursework. I have a bit of firsthand knowledge of this. Unfortunately, it was easily discarded.

Lets be honest here  Do they really care about who murders who? When the names were read out on who was going to America t do this exchange the big Thai smile would of got bigger Free Holiday In america would of been first thought lol

14 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

Kind of tough to adopt modern techniques when someone who controls your destiny (and your family's future) gives you the answer in advance, and your job is to make their answer seem plausible to the masses.  No matter how ridiculous you may think the answer is.

It is interesting to note that there have been a series of untimely deaths by relatively young people. While suicide is not to be discarded in any of these events, it is not a logical conclusion for all. People don't often go on holiday and contemplate suicide, rather, they are often escaping from the perceived angst in their home countries. Suicide is more common in terminal illness cases or when drugs/alcohol is involved, or when people run out of money and contemplate dramatic lifestyle changes (repatriation).

This woman, in particular, had previously spent a few months on neighboring Koh Phanagan, with a guru Raaman. No mention of interview with the cult following.

The russian man, who years ago was found hung with his hands bound behind himself, VERY uncommon for suicides.

They simply don't add up.

The "fake" suicide by hanging or pitching off balconies is quite common in Thailand of a means of disposing of people.

Someone (or someones) is behind all this.

Archived