BANGKOK 25 March 2019 04:06
howard ashoul

What kind of hobbies can you have in Thailand?

1 hour ago, howard ashoul said:

I can't remember first one.

Second one was 'you cannot lay your hands on mongeese'.

Third one was 'horning in on her territory'.

Mongeese is the less preferred plural of mongoose (mongooses is more commonly used).  "Lay your hands on" is simply a phrase meaning to find, obtain, or procure.  I've never heard that phrase "you cannot lay your hands on mongeese" before, but apart from its literal meaning, it could have an idiomatic meaning similar to "you can't catch a greased pig" meaning generally something very hard to do (in this case, maybe because mongooses are particularly agile).

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Stamp collecting.

Oh, and bar girl used knickers collecting.

So how many have you got now ?

18 hours ago, impulse said:

I bought a couple of Cu M of BS1088 marine ply in China, but my problem there was finding a decent epoxy (and the time- had plenty of space).  So the plywood ended up somewhere in the USA at a buddy's shop, though I doubt I'll ever see it again.

If you've got the space and the time, I'd suggest a strip plank construction. Then you're not at the mercy of the quality of the plywood.  The biggest Asian hiccup is finding a router table and bits to rout the bead and cove on the planks.  I found one table on Lazada for around 8,000 baht, but my 5th floor balcony just isn't big enough.  The epoxy and glass cloth is available in Thailand at boat dealers (and in bulk- but harder to find).  I still have the strips cut, waiting for me in China when my BKK contract ends...

My solution in China is a gorgeous fiberglass sit-in kayak, factory made.  In Thailand, all I could find was roto-molded.  Works fine but not as joyful to paddle as the  one I have in China.  But getting it to a beach without getting on an expressway is tough.

On an aside, there was a guy selling his strip built kayak shop near Kanchanaburi a few years back, but my contract precludes me from doing anything on the side (WP issues), so had to give it a pass.  That would have been a great hobby shop.

I have two Folbot folding kayaks which fit into one five foot bag, or to two five foot bags. They are great kayaks. I have done trips of 120 miles down rivers. (Utah) Also took one to Mongolia and did six hours down a river with snow on the river banks. Sadly the company went out of business, but I believe somebody was selling them in Thailand. Some models fit in a backpack. You can take in a car, small plane, big plane, and on the back of a big bike. Takes around twenty minutes to assemble. Fun stuff.

After I retired – a bit early as 56 years old – I don't understand how I ever had time for work.

I can even hardly find time for hobbies – perhaps I shopuld consider to spend less time with Thai Visa Forum..?:whistling:

• Like 2

Despite my earlier post, I seem to spend most of my non-work time fixing stuff around the house.

Currently being allowed to rest by SWMBO as it's hissing down.

Rain perfectly timed to watch the Lions - All Blacks match :smile:

• Like 1

I was bored out of my mind after my first year of retirement. I found leathercraft and leather carving to be great thing to learn. I've made wallets, handbags, passport holders , you name it, then learn to carve pics into the leather of what ever you want. Then you have all kinds of gifts to give away to hour family. The classes are really affordable and the couple who teach it are great. You just google craftsman gus. Good luck.

• Like 2

I would love a game where you have a joystick and fly a plane, on my first computer, back at the beginning of this century I had a game called the Red Baron or something like that, wish I could get something like that now. 

What's stopping you? A use a 55 inch screen as a platform, throttling, joystick and a powerful pc. Google pmdg 777 on you tube. It's amazing

https://youtu.be/QcLkByuxPHs

• Like 1

What about making ancient musical instruments? You don't have to be good at music to make ancient musical instruments. 

I am making a Greek "Lyra Pontian" which is like a violin but smaller and narrow with only 3 strings. Almost finish now and looking forward to play it .You get all the designs and also measurement from the internet. Just google.

What I like is I don't really spend a lot of money on this hobby. You need to know where the sawmill is to go buy the wood you need. You do need some good tools as well, still cheap compare with other hobbies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

Out of interest what is your resting heart beat ?

Measured after waking up and before getting out of bed, currently about 42bpm. 

Sex with my Thai GF

Golf with my friends

Watching my investments provide for me

Swimming

Eating good food in restaurants

Reading books over a good coffee

Driving my Benz coupe on the mountain roads

Nearly forgot - watching people make prats of themselves on TV.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Stamp collecting.

Oh, and bar girl used knickers collecting.

There's something fishy about this post.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

There's something fishy about this post.

Must be using the black-market for stamps.

• Like 2