BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

howard ashoul

What kind of hobbies can you have in Thailand?

Although I previously lived in Thailand for 15 years, I now live and work in Naypyidaw, Myanmar.  There's not a great deal of leisure activities available.  I took up cycling as an outdoor activity, and my fitness level has hugely improved.

I'm a technical guy (radio amateur), and to past the time indoors, I build electronic kits, such as radio receivers, transmitters etc.  To avoid component sourcing problems in Myanmar, I order the complete kits online from overseas.  Then I can, at my leisure, construct the electronics item.

Sex is one of my favourite hobbies. I like to do it as often as I can.

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Sex is one of my favourite hobbies. I like to do it as often as I can.

Solo ?

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

With Mrs Palm and her five daughters maybe ?

Lady Palm never says no.

5 hours ago, superal said:

Solo ?

Good question.. I was wondering if there was somebody else involved.. 

When I lived in CNX, I did not even consider cycling. Moving 150km, on the third day I was hit head on by a pickup. I am now wheelchair bound for the rest of my life. 

The locals here have a mindset of not thinking or caring.

So that changed my life entirely - no sport.

At age 69, I have no interest in updating my language skills. I  could speak reasonable Thai but here they speak Thai Lanna.

So life can change in a nanosecond. 

7 hours ago, superglue said:

When I lived in CNX, I did not even consider cycling. Moving 150km, on the third day I was hit head on by a pickup. I am now wheelchair bound for the rest of my life. 

The locals here have a mindset of not thinking or caring.

So that changed my life entirely - no sport.

At age 69, I have no interest in updating my language skills. I  could speak reasonable Thai but here they speak Thai Lanna.

So life can change in a nanosecond. 

That was a bad deal and you have my sympathies . How do you pass the time of day ? do you have a wife or partner to help you ?

It is not easy but opportunities arise. The local temple seeks my advice on their retreats.

Music - I  have a huge range of CDs. Listening to them is good medicine for the mind.

Social media - this & another did provide interest but that has waned.

I spend more time communicating with my wife. Although we have been together 14 years (there is a huge age gap), I never cease to learn.

Computer games - zero by choice.

Where I live there are very very expats. I knew 4 but all have relocated.

If other members have ideas, please reply.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:49 AM, tso310 said:

Over the years there have been a few threads about r/c aircraft.

There is or was a  farang guy who teamed up with Thais to make some incredibly large and realistic R/C flying models of jet military aircraft.  Absolutely stunning - world class.

I'd like to futz around with some of the little long-tail racing boats, or even plodders.  Need to be near a lake or klong or ocean for that.

When I get back over, I may take up blacksmithing.  I understand that recent changes in foreign employment rules might make knifemaking a legal trade.

The whole concept of 'having a hobby' has always escaped me. 

Of course if you don't have a garden or a house to look after, or are too lazy to do the work yourself then maybe you do need to occupy your mind.

How about visiting Farang prisoners? Or helping out at an orphanage? Learning Thai? I don't consider any of those to be 'hobbies'.

Sorry, I didn't take the time to read the previous 6 pages, I have to go cut grass for the cows soon.

Have a look at Geocaching, which is a hobby which takes you out of your four walls at lets you learn a lot about the country. It will take you to places, where you would never go without it.

How about resurrecting old threads on TV?  Hours of fun to be had.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:40 AM, superglue said:

It is not easy but opportunities arise. The local temple seeks my advice on their retreats.

Music - I  have a huge range of CDs. Listening to them is good medicine for the mind.

Social media - this & another did provide interest but that has waned.

I spend more time communicating with my wife. Although we have been together 14 years (there is a huge age gap), I never cease to learn.

Computer games - zero by choice.

Where I live there are very very expats. I knew 4 but all have relocated.

If other members have ideas, please reply.

What are your physical limitations ?