Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonathan Fairfield

Video: Pattaya 1994

Recommended Posts

The main change I can see is motorbike riders have become even worse.

Liked the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pattaya really was a great fun place back then. Of course one had to be there then to know. I was and glad I was there before greed destroyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to believe what has happened in just 10 years.

Compare Jomtien beach with the video of 1984:

 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/990459-video-jomtien-beach-1984/

 

1 hour ago, ferguston said:

The main change I can see is motorbike riders have become even worse.

 

No Entry / No Problem :sleep:

Wrong way through "walking street".
Oops, a policeman who cares :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one guy wearing a helmet.  Obviously some wierdo!!!

 

I was there that year.  A much better place then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, forget Pattaya 1994. Looks way to primitive and boring. The Beach rd was basically a mess. If you like that scene there are shabby  places all over the gulf that look like that now.

Actually I would take Pattaya 2017 over 1994. Now compared to Pattaya 2004 - Forget about it. Was the  best of two worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HHTel said:

saw one guy wearing a helmet.  Obviously some wierdo!!!

 

I was there that year.  A much better place then.

 

Because nobodies wearing helmets ? Did you have a death wish  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL> Lam Morrison live at Saloon Bar, 1984:

 

Minute 3:30 in this video:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, morrobay said:

No, forget Pattaya 1994. Looks way to primitive and boring. The Beach rd was basically a mess. If you like that scene there are shabby  places all over the gulf that look like that now.

Actually I would take Pattaya 2017 over 1994. Now compared to Pattaya 2004 - Forget about it. Was the  best of two worlds.

1994 just before Pattaya Bay became plasticised and then resembled any other beach in the world:sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya really was a great fun place back then. Of course one had to be there then to know. I was and glad I was there before greed destroyed it.

Absolutely, Pattaya was better in many ways back, "in the day."  Been coming to Thailand since 1971 US military.  I live just North of Pattaya on the beach in Naklua.  It's actually very nice.  The "zoo" is only 15, 20 minutes away on the bhat bus.  Still great fun. Nothing like the old days though.  We were really treated like kings then.  Knowing the "ropes" and a little Thai makes a big difference on the fun factor.  Limiting the booze is key.  It's nice to be able to get away to peace and quiet and much cleaner place around the Centara Grand Mirage area.  Different world really... http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/cmbr/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Absolutely, Pattaya was better in many ways back, "in the day."  Been coming to Thailand since 1971 US military.  I live just North of Pattaya on the beach in Naklua.  It's actually very nice.  The "zoo" is only 15, 20 minutes away on the bhat bus.  Still great fun. Nothing like the old days though.  We were really treated like kings then.  Knowing the "ropes" and a little Thai makes a big difference on the fun factor.  Limiting the booze is key.  It's nice to be able to get away to peace and quiet and much cleaner place around the Centara Grand Mirage area.  Different world really... http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/cmbr/

You don't have to go that far away to find peace and tranquillity. You can find it a stone's throw away from Walking Street in the Pratumnak Hill area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, morrobay said:

No, forget Pattaya 1994. Looks way to primitive and boring. The Beach rd was basically a mess. If you like that scene there are shabby  places all over the gulf that look like that now.

Actually I would take Pattaya 2017 over 1994. Now compared to Pattaya 2004 - Forget about it. Was the  best of two worlds.

Were you there in 1994? I was and it was way, way better then, unless you're into big shopping malls I guess. Its not about the physical state of the road. Its about the attitude of the people, the ease of getting around, the atmosphere in the bars and shops. Today, 2017, is way to commercialized, cynical, crowded and unpleasant. You may have a point though about 2004 being the best time of the three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> Lam Morrison live at Saloon Bar, 1984:

 

Minute 3:30 in this video:

 

 

At minute 3'16" is Bier Kutsche.  Was my favourite German restaurant until one year, when I arrived on holiday, it was gone.  Great fun seeing this video; started visiting here in '83.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LarryLEB said:

At minute 3'16" is Bier Kutsche.  Was my favourite German restaurant until one year, when I arrived on holiday, it was gone.  Great fun seeing this video; started visiting here in '83.

Was our favourite place too, around the turn of the eighties, fantastic steaks with stacked toppings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tropo said:

You don't have to go that far away to find peace and tranquillity. You can find it a stone's throw away from Walking Street in the Pratumnak Hill area.

Yep.  I never liked that area though.  Always got weird vibes there.  Like too many ghosts around...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...