Video: Pattaya 1994

Hard to believe what has happened in just 10 years.

Compare Jomtien beach with the video of 1984:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/990459-video-jomtien-beach-1984/

1 hour ago, ferguston said:

The main change I can see is motorbike riders have become even worse.

No Entry / No Problem :sleep:

Wrong way through "walking street".
Oops, a policeman who cares :biggrin:

No, forget Pattaya 1994. Looks way to primitive and boring. The Beach rd was basically a mess. If you like that scene there are shabby  places all over the gulf that look like that now.

Actually I would take Pattaya 2017 over 1994. Now compared to Pattaya 2004 - Forget about it. Was the  best of two worlds.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

saw one guy wearing a helmet.  Obviously some wierdo!!!

I was there that year.  A much better place then.

Because nobodies wearing helmets ? Did you have a death wish  ? 

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

No, forget Pattaya 1994. Looks way to primitive and boring. The Beach rd was basically a mess. If you like that scene there are shabby  places all over the gulf that look like that now.

Actually I would take Pattaya 2017 over 1994. Now compared to Pattaya 2004 - Forget about it. Was the  best of two worlds.

1994 just before Pattaya Bay became plasticised and then resembled any other beach in the world:sad:

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya really was a great fun place back then. Of course one had to be there then to know. I was and glad I was there before greed destroyed it.

Absolutely, Pattaya was better in many ways back, "in the day."  Been coming to Thailand since 1971 US military.  I live just North of Pattaya on the beach in Naklua.  It's actually very nice.  The "zoo" is only 15, 20 minutes away on the bhat bus.  Still great fun. Nothing like the old days though.  We were really treated like kings then.  Knowing the "ropes" and a little Thai makes a big difference on the fun factor.  Limiting the booze is key.  It's nice to be able to get away to peace and quiet and much cleaner place around the Centara Grand Mirage area.  Different world really... http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/cmbr/

29 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Absolutely, Pattaya was better in many ways back, "in the day."  Been coming to Thailand since 1971 US military.  I live just North of Pattaya on the beach in Naklua.  It's actually very nice.  The "zoo" is only 15, 20 minutes away on the bhat bus.  Still great fun. Nothing like the old days though.  We were really treated like kings then.  Knowing the "ropes" and a little Thai makes a big difference on the fun factor.  Limiting the booze is key.  It's nice to be able to get away to peace and quiet and much cleaner place around the Centara Grand Mirage area.  Different world really... http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/cmbr/

You don't have to go that far away to find peace and tranquillity. You can find it a stone's throw away from Walking Street in the Pratumnak Hill area.

8 hours ago, morrobay said:

Were you there in 1994? I was and it was way, way better then, unless you're into big shopping malls I guess. Its not about the physical state of the road. Its about the attitude of the people, the ease of getting around, the atmosphere in the bars and shops. Today, 2017, is way to commercialized, cynical, crowded and unpleasant. You may have a point though about 2004 being the best time of the three.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> Lam Morrison live at Saloon Bar, 1984:

Minute 3:30 in this video:

At minute 3'16" is Bier Kutsche.  Was my favourite German restaurant until one year, when I arrived on holiday, it was gone.  Great fun seeing this video; started visiting here in '83.

1 hour ago, LarryLEB said:

At minute 3'16" is Bier Kutsche.  Was my favourite German restaurant until one year, when I arrived on holiday, it was gone.  Great fun seeing this video; started visiting here in '83.

Was our favourite place too, around the turn of the eighties, fantastic steaks with stacked toppings.

14 hours ago, tropo said:

You don't have to go that far away to find peace and tranquillity. You can find it a stone's throw away from Walking Street in the Pratumnak Hill area.

Yep.  I never liked that area though.  Always got weird vibes there.  Like too many ghosts around...

10 hours ago, charmonman said:

Were you there in 1994? I was and it was way, way better then, unless you're into big shopping malls I guess. Its not about the physical state of the road. Its about the attitude of the people, the ease of getting around, the atmosphere in the bars and shops. Today, 2017, is way to commercialized, cynical, crowded and unpleasant. You may have a point though about 2004 being the best time of the three.

Indeed.  We were treated like kings in those days. For pennies...

• 8 months later...
23 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Thai drivers, eh?!?! Complete idiots! Oh no their FOEIGNERS - what a surprise, somethings never change - no hats, not signals and no idea.

Don't forget the video was taken 24 years ago at a time when it really was laid back with literally nothing compared to the traffic we have now.

For me, at that time (1994) the changes were happening slowly and steadily. But I still think the biggest changes happened around 1999 - 2000. I moved to Phitsanulok in 1999 and came back to Pattaya for a holiday the next year. Was completely knocked on my behind with what they had done to the place in such a short time.

Perhaps it was a case of if you live it you don't notice the changes so much. But, IMO, it was a much better time back then for Pattaya...............:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Don't forget the video was taken 24 years ago at a time when it really was laid back with literally nothing compared to the traffic we have now.

For me, at that time (1994) the changes were happening slowly and steadily. But I still think the biggest changes happened around 1999 - 2000. I moved to Phitsanulok in 1999 and came back to Pattaya for a holiday the next year. Was completely knocked on my behind with what they had done to the place in such a short time.

Perhaps it was a case of if you live it you don't notice the changes so much. But, IMO, it was a much better time back then for Pattaya...............:thumbsup:

History doesn't mitigate bad driving. What it does do is show that Foreigners were and have a history of dreadful driving in Thailand.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, HHTel said:

I saw one guy wearing a helmet.  Obviously some wierdo!!!

I was there that year.  A much better place then.

For the first 5 minutes of the video I thought that maybe helmets were illegal back in 1994, but then I saw not just one but TWO riders wearing them.

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

History doesn't mitigate bad driving. What it does do is show that Foreigners were and have a history of dreadful driving in Thailand.

Oh please don't get me wrong, I would be one of the last to disagree with you regarding foreigners driving badly here in Thailand.

On 7/2/2017 at 12:24 PM, charmonman said:

place really went downhll after 2006.  2004 was my first time and thought it was fantastic

Thanks for posting the video, I have not seen before, and there are many on Youtube, loved the bit coming out of Jomtien beach and round the corner to virtually nothing

I am guessing Jomtien Plaza was just about finished around then, I remember seeing it being built and thinking one day I would like to live there, ten years later i did.

Archived