Hua Hin students wowing tourists as they act as interpreters for the police

webfact

Hua Hin students wowing tourists as they act as interpreters for the police

hh.jpg

Picture: Daily News

HUA HIN: -- A group of senior students from Klai Kangwon School in Hua Hin have been impressing tourists who come into the local police station.

The five young people have been helping the tourists, the police and themselves by acting as interpreters in English, French, German, Chinese and Japanese.

Daily News caught up with the group after a member of the public told them of the initiative.

The idea was a collaboration between the students' teachers Suchira Khreuaphan and Khanitha Malaiphong and the local cops who were having trouble with all the foreigners they couldn't understand.

So the M5 and M6 students are working at the station during the day at weekends and public holidays explaining about documents, procedures, fines and suchlike.

One of the students Fayada Bamrungpong, in M6 or the last year of high school, said that it was great to help out the tourists and the police with her language skills.

"And I get a chance to practice and improve my English as well," said Fayada.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-03

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

95% of Thai students can hardly speak ENGLISH
Really want to be a fly around in that police station to see how they deal with the other languages......

At the other hand, they should oblige every cop who deals with tourists at least speaking some

decent English since tourism is a major income stream in TH !  Too much SHIT happens in LOS

between cops and tourists as they dont understand each other...

I'm sure they mean well, but have the students learned to say 'I'm sorry, I don't understand' without losing face? It is typical of earlier generations to give the assurance 'Leave it to me, I can fix it!' when they haven't a clue what they're doing, but then they can't back down without suffering humiliation, sometimes risking a disaster. More information is required.

When I visited Japan in 83 there was somewhat similar program for students of English to practice skills acting as guides in Nara. They were English majors, one was fond of J D Salinger novels, as I recall. The guides weren't there just to help with police, and service was free (I did buy the two young ladies lunch, however).

Miserable Farang's always complaining , go back home to your own countries and look yourself in the mirror , maybe it's not that perfect at home. I think you should give both the kids ant Police credit and you can't change everything overnight . A very good initiative... 

1 hour ago, LoongJohn said:

I'm sure they mean well, but have the students learned to say 'I'm sorry, I don't understand' without losing face? It is typical of earlier generations to give the assurance 'Leave it to me, I can fix it!' when they haven't a clue what they're doing, but then they can't back down without suffering humiliation, sometimes risking a disaster. More information is required.

How many cops would feel embarrassed (lose face) by having to listen to an M4, M5 school girl explain something to them?

I think this is a great idea. And just perhaps the Thai schoolkids will learn from the farang NOT to just accept what they are told just because someone is of a higher status than themselves. maybe they will learn to ask more questions if the first answer does not solve the problem...maybe the kids will learn to THINK for themselves...When the farang is not happy with what they are first told and pose further questions that the kids then have to ask in Thai of the police officer....maybe the kids will start to learn to NOT fear asking questions/seeking more information from an older person of higher station in life than themselves >>>>>>>>>. Just maybe . 

to all the farangs who are long term semi residents....learn thai dont complain...i met some guys around ten years here and not to be able to order food....i know its not easy but if u make ur life plans ( house car retirement ) in los at least u should aquire decent communication skills...

1 hour ago, biplanebluey said:

You guys can never see anything right with anything anyone does in thailand---UGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was thinking the same thing, its because there live are so sad, they sit in the bar all day long and have nothing better to do than pick faults out of everything

Love to be a fly on the wall Be lots said like" speak slowly, not understand,  Can you repeat,  Looking at the big guy sitting there he must have broken the law The school girl is probably telling him you must pay 500 baht bribe or you go to jail But in all honest the guy who said 95% of Thai students cant speak english he is right

I went to my local immigration office where they had a similar situation, though the students were doing 'work experience'. One young lass  assisted me in correctly filling the necessary forms. At the end she said in English, how was that. I replied that it was much easier with her assistance and thanked her. She replied, 'what no tip'…my laughter could be heard everywhere. I thought, you are not even a permanent employee, but already you have mastered the essential language of a Thai government employee…555…and no she did not get a tip!

1 minute ago, Queenslander said:

I went to my local immigration office where they had a similar situation, though the students were doing 'work experience'. One young lass  assisted me in correctly filling the necessary forms. At the end she said in English, how was that. I replied that it was much easier with her assistance and thanked her. She replied, 'what no tip'…my laughter could be heard everywhere. I thought, you are not even a permanent employee, but already you have mastered the essential language of a Thai government employee…555…and no she did not get a tip!

They learn quick dont they

39 minutes ago, free123 said:

to all the farangs who are long term semi residents....learn thai dont complain...i met some guys around ten years here and not to be able to order food....i know its not easy but if u make ur life plans ( house car retirement ) in los at least u should aquire decent communication skills...

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

3 hours ago, Regyai said:

Surely this wont replace gumps in quasi-paramilitary fancy dress with "me pay bar you" linguistic levels?

Actually their linguistic levels are fine, just not in English.  This is Thailand.  Why don't you learn Thai and come back and tell us how great your Thai is in two years?  It's not easy.  

1 hour ago, novo58 said:

I think this is a great idea. And just perhaps the Thai schoolkids will learn from the farang NOT to just accept what they are told just because someone is of a higher status than themselves. maybe they will learn to ask more questions if the first answer does not solve the problem...maybe the kids will learn to THINK for themselves...When the farang is not happy with what they are first told and pose further questions that the kids then have to ask in Thai of the police officer....maybe the kids will start to learn to NOT fear asking questions/seeking more information from an older person of higher station in life than themselves >>>>>>>>>. Just maybe . 

Yes sir, that's real education when that happens!

32 minutes ago, Queenslander said:

Ha ha good luck to the kid. I hope you slipped her a couple of bob!

It's a good try and does not deserve such stupid comments. Some grumpy old Men, almost ever the same here go better back to her homecountrys. They will be for sure welcome there for their big mouth and sozial competence.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

How many cops would feel embarrassed (lose face) by having to listen to an M4, M5 school girl explain something to them?

....you have no Idea about Thailand and the lose Face theme.

Archived