Troops, police warn 'Arab' road racers in Pattaya

webfact

I can't see why this problem is hard to solve.

1.  They are foreigners - they can be removed from the country at any time.

2.  No helmets

3.  No Thai licences (maybe?)

If they are creating problems and delibrately breaking the law, arrest them, charge them, cancel visas and deport them.  The police need to stop beating around the bush and do something, it really isn't that hard.  Oh, and start enforcing the road rules, something they never seem to do either except for helmets.  

17 hours ago, jaiyen said:

There is no such thing as an International Driving Licence.  There is an International Driving Permit which is only a translation of your own licence and has no legal value. Its a rip off by the RAC or equivalent and is not required in Thailand.

That is not actually true, if you don't have one, you get fined.

I agree that this group of repressed Arab young men were out enjoying life in a way that

they are not allowed in their home countries.  Of course if they are the richest Arabs, maybe

they would have a few more freedoms than the regular Arabs.

Geezer

There is no such thing as an International Driving Licence.  There is an International Driving Permit which is only a translation of your own licence and has no legal value. Its a rip off by the RAC or equivalent and is not required in Thailand.

International Driving Permits are required by cops in Chiang Mai now. They don't care about any international conventions on road traffic.

A nice little earner.

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I agree that this group of repressed Arab young men were out enjoying life in a way that

they are not allowed in their home countries.  Of course if they are the richest Arabs, maybe

they would have a few more freedoms than the regular Arabs.

Geezer

Can you imagine if Buddhists or Christians were doing this exact same thing in their Muzlim countries? What would be the repercussions.....

17 minutes ago, dexjnr555 said:

Doesn't make it right. Deport them.

You obviously missed the sarcasm in my post but you really think they should be deported for revving engines and not wearing a crash helmet? I'd love to hear what you'd do to the proper criminals out there in that case.

On 7/4/2017 at 2:50 PM, JSixpack said:

Since the local residents were upset enough about it to complain once, they'll complain again if it happens again. Since it's Arabs the police will be happy to return and collect fines; and we'll certainly hear about it here. So we'll see. However, there's no way to know if it's the same group. Tourists come and go . . . .

Well.....we have seen. If you follow the news you'll see that  these foreigners

( mostly Kuwaits according to police )  have not stayed away and returned to the same place to annoy local residents. So on Friday morning :

34 were caught and their motorcycles impounded.

Many were not carrying a driver's licence or passport. 
Police issued tickets charging them with failing to wear a crash helmet and carry a driver's licence. 

From the Bangkok post or here :

http://pattayadailynews.com/arab-motorcycle-gang-busted/

All of which pretty much trashes your riposte to my first post. 

On 04/07/2017 at 0:55 PM, Denim said:

.....Told they need an international driving license.

Is that all ?

No helmets worn. ( probably )

And did the police check the tax and insurance policies. ?

Pathetic policing . So much for Pattaya crackdowns.

Quality tourist .

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, KittenKong said:

So this had been going on for a week but the police didnt notice it until it appeared on Facebook?

Maybe if they were out patrolling the streets they might have noticed it on the first night and nipped it in the bud.

It's been going on for ages. When I stayed in that area in 2016 it was very dangerous to walk on the narrow roads as those maniacs were speeding all the time and definitely Arabs.

For the benefit of a previous poster- NO HELMETS.

Telling them off one night is meaningless if the police don't patrol the area every night.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2017 at 4:42 AM, Pdaz said:

Ramadan-a-ding-dong is over. They have all arrived to get drunk and shag around after a Month of (supposed) abstinence. Hypocrites.

you need to get out a bit more, just because a person is an arab doesnt mean they are a devout muslim, plenty of young and even older arabs couldnt care less about religion

On 7/4/2017 at 2:07 AM, Baerboxer said:

Young Arab men, forbidden pre-marital contact with members of the opposite sex; not allowed booze (officially) and have plenty, in most cases, of money.

Can't think why they're interesting in going to a nice family seaside resort such as Pattaya? Maybe for the golf?

I thought they mainly head to Europe as "asylum seekers"? 

Archived