BANGKOK 21 February 2019 04:16

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Samui Times Faces Libel Charge For Labeling Koh Tao 'Death Island'

Samui Times Faces Libel Charge For Labeling Koh Tao 'Death Island'

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

SamuiTimes-header-696x530.jpg

A screencap of Samui Times website

BANGKOK — Surat Thani governor told reporters Monday he intended to sue an English-language news website for nicknaming Koh Tao “Death Island.”

Uaychai Innak said such labeling by Samui Times “distorted” the situation there and damaged the island’s reputation as a tourist destination. A string of foreigners’ death has made the island infamous in recent years – most recently that of a Belgian tourist, ruled by police as suicide.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/07/04/samui-times-faces-libel-charge-labeling-koh-tao-death-island/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-04

Good idea. Then he can take the money and pay the police to do their jobs... or maybe not. Never mind.

The Times wasn't the first, or the only ones, to use that moniker.  And likely won't be the last. 

I am truly amazed that it has taken them so long!

While I am not a huge fan of the Samui Times , I give it full credit for their stories about the place. Unfortunately, I think the editor and owners are going into a world of hurt financially and perhaps otherwise. 

Keep your head up ST, you did good!

Disgusting!

Don't do anything, just try to kill off the messenger.

The lid is taken off from Pandora's box, and this action will throw the lid far away.

The international press will have a field day.

How do you libel an island?

They had it coming especially with some of the articles written by Ian Yarwood that were not aimed at getting to the truth but at ruining Koh tao's reputation, then you have the owner of Samui times who visited the B2 and took care of their mothers during the trial. So hardly impartial reporting.

I wonder how many people would believe what the Koh Tao times if the owner was Mons mum.

I assume he will be submiting a similar legal charge against The Telegraph, The Mirror, The Sun, News Com Au and many many other media sources who all use the same phrasiology to describe the island.

But then perhaps not.

A post using foul language has been removed.

Now I wonder how long it takes until some will press charges against the TAT labeling Thailand a safe tourist destination.

Protocol in action... just too funny... Where is the certain ethnic group to take the blame? That follows, right...    OK headlines... How about Negative outcomes at Turtle island?

32 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

They had it coming especially with some of the articles written by Ian Yarwood that were not aimed at getting to the truth but at ruining Koh tao's reputation, then you have the owner of Samui times who visited the B2 and took care of their mothers during the trial. So hardly impartial reporting.

I wonder how many people would believe what the Koh Tao times if the owner was Mons mum.

"...some of the articles written by Ian Yarwood that were not aimed at getting to the truth"

the articles were aimed to avoid hiding or falsifying the truth. Well done.

"They had it coming especially " ....  because truth is not welcome over there