Samui Times Faces Libel Charge For Labeling Koh Tao 'Death Island'

webfact

1 hour ago, DiscoDan said:

Samui Times a great place for impartial reporting.

I don't like that woman one bit, but would you describe yourself as impartial? Probably, but everyone that reads these forums regularly know that there are a group of people, including you, that will defend the indefensible Koh Toa problems.

These people are Shills and may be paid, maybe not, but they certainly have an interest in discrediting any negative stories about Koh Toa.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

First referance I have found is Jan 2016

http://zway2go.com/death-in-koh-tao/

Thank you.

Yes, I also saw that article – 9th January 2016: "Death in Koh Tao – Paradise Island or Death Trap" – but missed the sentence in the middle over the photos saying "Death Island"; the site is named "AMAZING THAILAND Uncensored news that matters at your fingertips"...

It makes no difference who coined the term 'Death Island'. If the SuratThani government can plausibly convince the Court that persons have lost business on Koh Tao specifically due to the actions of Samui Times, then they have a case.

And ST may not have any physical presence in Thailand but they likely have bank accounts else how else do their Samui-based advertisers pay for their advertising space on the site?

6 hours ago, IslandLover said:

Dunno, but what's with the basket of flowers?  Oh dear, all those stern faces and tight uniforms.  They never miss a photo opportunity, do they? :smile:

If Deliverance had been filmed in Thailand.....

20 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

If the SuratThani government can plausibly convince the Court that persons have lost business on Koh Tao specifically due to the actions of Samui Times, then they have a case.

good luck with that one gov .....  :coffee1:

The weirdest aspect about this is we had a Koh Tao rescue worker writing to the Samui Times, telling blatant lies in support of the godforsaken place. But these blatant lies are ignored by the Surat Thani governor, who, instead wants to shoot the messenger. And look who's shown up centre stage in all of this: Woraphan Tuvichien :sad:. You just couldn't make these events up. Amazing Thailand again.

My favorite in the recent "SamuiTimes" is the article wherein the copy begins:

"Speculation also rose with regards to his surname being Miller, eerily the same as David Miller who was found dead on the same beach over a year earlier ..."
http://www.samuitimes.com/the-death-of-luke-miller-koh-tao-one-year-on/

So -- unless Luke Miller was asking a lot of people a lot of questions about the late David Miller's demise -- he musta DEC 2015 been the first 20-ish white male with the name of 'Miller' to arrive on Koh Tao since SEP 2014 else why didn't the others meet the same fate?

31 minutes ago, steven100 said:

good luck with that one gov .....  :coffee1:

One way do maybe do that is to find one or more Koh Tao travel agents who had their package tours canceled and when they asked the canceling customers WHY? they said that they read about the murderous serial killer on the loose in the Samui Times.

50 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The weirdest aspect about this is we had a Koh Tao rescue worker writing to the Samui Times, telling blatant lies in support of the godforsaken place. But these blatant lies are ignored by the Surat Thani governor, who, instead wants to shoot the messenger. And look who's shown up centre stage in all of this: Woraphan Tuvichien :sad:. You just couldn't make these events up. Amazing Thailand again.

On second thoughts it certainly looks like him.  The guy in the camouflage outfit on the right of the photo looks threatening.  Bodyguard perhaps?  Notice the way they have to mention "politics" on that placard?

10 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

On second thoughts it certainly looks like him.  The guy in the camouflage outfit on the right of the photo looks threatening.  Bodyguard perhaps?  Notice the way they have to mention "politics" on that placard?

All the important ones posing at the front of the photo have expressions that say 'Anybody dare to disagree with me?' They're the Deliverance hillybillys who run the show in that part of the world.

Bro was probably too busy mixing roofies to attend.

Well -- at least so far -- for the Koh Tao interests suing the media they are one-for-one.

14 AUG 2015 BANGKOK — "A Thai newspaper today published an apology for its coverage of the investigation into the murders of two British travelers in September on Koh Tao."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2015/08/14/1439558550/

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thank you.

Yes, I also saw that article – 9th January 2016: "Death in Koh Tao – Paradise Island or Death Trap" – but missed the sentence in the middle over the photos saying "Death Island"; the site is named "AMAZING THAILAND Uncensored news that matters at your fingertips"...

The label goes back to at least Jan 2015.

PM sent

6 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I don't like that woman one bit, but would you describe yourself as impartial? Probably, but everyone that reads these forums regularly know that there are a group of people, including you, that will defend the indefensible Koh Toa problems.

These people are Shills and may be paid, maybe not, but they certainly have an interest in discrediting any negative stories about Koh Toa.

No I don't as I have said 100 times before, if you can show me the evidence that proofs someone else murdered Hannah and David I will happily watch those people hang,

The question I ask you is would you be willing to watch the deaths of ZL and WP if in undeniable proof came out that they did it ?

24 minutes ago, les Dennis said:

Are they going to sue the British press too ?

Instead of suing the press, they should sue the police for the refusal of work and destroying evidence in every single case.

16 hours ago, JLCrab said:

If this lawsuit were in Court today, there would be no way any lawyer for the defense could make the claim that anyone was murdered on Koh Tao except for the late Ms. Witheridge and late Mr. D. Miller.

Dont be stupid , a lawyer can make any claim he wishes in court , proving the claim is a different story.

Thank you -- as to my above statement, I think I will remain stupid. The statement was made in the context of a libel trial and no attorney for the defense would be allowed to state that persons were murdered who have not been proven to have been murdered.

1 hour ago, DiscoDan said:

No I don't as I have said 100 times before, if you can show me the evidence that proofs someone else murdered Hannah and David I will happily watch those people hang,

The question I ask you is would you be willing to watch the deaths of ZL and WP if in undeniable proof came out that they did it ?

Undeniable proof , there was bugger all proof that they were guilty , thats why so many of us were appalled at the verdict. An honest , unbiased individual would surely ask why such a travesty occured, because it wasn't by accident.

I will concede that the other deaths might , I stress might , be a series of unconnected incidents but not the K2 affair.

That shambles of an investigation , or to be precise non investigation , shames the Island , it is indefenceable.

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thank you -- as to my above statement, I think I will remain stupid. Objection: Calls for speculation: the question asks the witness to guess the answer rather than to rely on known facts.

It all becomes somewhat moot when those known ' facts ' tend to eminate from sources that most people would consider unreliable.

What is not moot that in a libel case a defendant could not say that we were justified in saying that persons other than the 2 obvious were murdered when there is only conjecture on the part of certain persons that they were murdered.

Under Thai law, the libel case could maybe be made that the repeated stories suggesting that these other deaths were the result of criminal activities and that such stories caused specific damage to a person's interests on Koh Tao.

34 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Killings on Koh Tao go back at least to 2001 (?) when Mr Ban (owner of Ban's Diving) was shot and killed in public by a contract gunman.

Presumed another local business owner was unhappy. But the case was never solved.

The fact you have to go back 16yrs to find a shooting in a country with one of the highest gun crime rates in the world, just shows how safe Koh Tao really is.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

What is not moot that in a libel case a defendant could not say that we were justified in saying that persons other than the 2 obvious were murdered when there is only conjecture on the part of certain persons that they were murdered.

Under Thai law, the libel case could maybe be made that the repeated stories suggesting that these other deaths were the result of criminal activities and that such stories caused specific damage to a person's interests on Koh Tao.

How is your first paragraph relevent ?, its being called death island not murder island. 

It is a fact that there have been deaths , these I believe far exceed the per capita norm in Thailand. Leaving aside any conjecture , this alone makes the island noteworthy. Would ' Suicide Island ' or ' Damned poor run of luck island ' be more accurate and acceptable ?

49 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

The fact you have to go back 16yrs to find a shooting in a country with one of the highest gun crime rates in the world, just shows how safe Koh Tao really is.

Yes its extremely safe , just that a disproportionate number of people die there !

Archived