Samui Times Faces Libel Charge For Labeling Koh Tao 'Death Island'

webfact

8 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

If there was a newspaper saying the Burmese were guilty all the time  and we later found out it was run by Nomsods Mum you lot would have a field day, but when it's the other way round silence, what hypocrites.

Screenshot_2016-11-30-11-20-51.png

That's because nobody with any sense would trust the Tuvichiens as far as they could throw them, and says nothing toward the trustworthiness of the owner of the Samui Times, so no hypocrisy.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Chrome and M. Firefox basic translations of Thai media is the past 2-3 hrs It looks like this:-

The Sun, The Mirror, Der Farang, and other media online news agencies have also been slammed by the governor of Surat Thani for labelling Koh Tao as 'death Island'. So now it's not just Samui Times they blame. There is no mention of a libel law suit. A conference or meeting of some sort will take place to explain all the details of Koh Tao and the deaths that have occured there over the past 3 years, to clear up any misinformation the media has written about the island and its inhabitants.

Don't know 100%.

If you want to confirm go to google translate type "death island media" translate to Thai. Google search past 24hrs. Translate the Thai media sites that have articles 2-3 hours old.

Tukky

8 hours ago, JLCrab said:

The Governor and his legal advisers will maybe take your astute legal advice under consideration.

Nearly all the SamuiTimes advertising revenue is local and if the local audience cannot access the website they cannot see the ads and it makes no difference where the SamuiTimes has its incorporation of convenience.

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

This is the Samui Times media kit -- They be might be pleased to hear you refer to it as a cottage industry.

http://www.samuitimes.com/samuitimesmediakit.pdf

Maybe they have bank accounts in Thailand for their advertisers remit and maybe not. But if the Thai government by order of a Thai Court wants to block ST on all Thai ISP's, then that would cut off the bulk of their advertising revenues and they would not need a UK Court's permission to do so.

Anyone has the right to sue anyone from anywhere in their home jurisdiction. Whether the judgment can be enforced is another matter. It is just how vulnerable a defendant may be in the jurisdiction of the suit.

All I've talked about is what they they can if they so choose do under Thai law. You are the one who is waxing as to that they can't do or would be ill- advised to do. A Major newspaper here in Thailand has referred to any potential lawsuit as a farce. And so what?

Strange that you have reappeared on these forums when there is yet again a 'Koh Toa Crisis'.

I'm not a fan of Samui Times but find your focussed attacks on Samui Times extraordinary.

It would appear that you have a specific role on these forums and that is to discredit Samui Times or rather the information they are publishing.

Whilst I said I'm not a fan it would appear to me as an interested local that the news posts that they actually do make are informative. They go against the grain of the 'keep it in the closet' policy that means it is two months before anyone hears about a death on Koh Toa.

And this is the reason why they would need to be sued ..................... wouldn't you think?

I am interested in the legal process in Thailand. As many came on here to ridicule the Sutrathani possibility of a lawsuit against SamuiTimes, I was interested on what basis a lawsuit might proceed. I have never said whether they should or should not initiate a lawsuit.

As to the notion that SamuiTimes cannot be sued in Thailand as their corporate registry is in not Thailand, that is total mis-information. This is a recent verdict in US Court which US Publishers sued and won against a Russian pirate website in absentia.

"Whether the court’s orders will be fulfilled is questionable. Sci-Hub, for example, operates out of Russia. Its founder, Alexandra Elbakyan, lives outside the court’s jurisdiction and has no assets in the U.S., Nature reported on June 22."
http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i27/Lawsuits-progress-against-Sci-Hub.html

US Court Judgment: https://presspage-production-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1508/scihubruling.pdf
Also
http://newsroom.publishers.org/the-association-of-american-publishers-welcomes-major-judgement-against-sci-hub-pirate-site

I am interested in the legal process in Thailand. As many came on here to ridicule the Sutrathani possibility of a lawsuit against SamuiTimes, I was interested on what basis a lawsuit might proceed. I have never said whether they should or should not initiate a lawsuit.

As to the notion that SamuiTimes cannot be sued in Thailand as their corporate registry is in not Thailand, that is total mis-information. This is a recent verdict in US Court which US Publishers sued and won against a Russian pirate website in absentia.

"Whether the court’s orders will be fulfilled is questionable. Sci-Hub, for example, operates out of Russia. Its founder, Alexandra Elbakyan, lives outside the court’s jurisdiction and has no assets in the U.S., Nature reported on June 22."
http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i27/Lawsuits-progress-against-Sci-Hub.html

US Court Judgment: https://presspage-production-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1508/scihubruling.pdf
Also
http://newsroom.publishers.org/the-association-of-american-publishers-welcomes-major-judgement-against-sci-hub-pirate-site

Maybe the owner of Samui Times should join Julian Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy?

One thing is for sure if a libel case against Samui Times is filed then the British press will be covering it.

No, it's time for the Surat Thani governor to explain to everyone the facts on Koh Tao.

Tourists want to know everything the police know. Put to bed all mis information, rumours, conspiracy involved and also invite international media to ask questions.

No more hushing up media with threats. Just tell the world the honest truth. What has happened in the last 3 years on Koh Tao? What they know.

Confront the current situation with facts. Without that the misinformation will continue.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Maybe the owner of Samui Times should join Julian Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy?

One thing is for sure if a libel case against Samui Times is filed then the British press will be covering it.

No, it's time for the Surat Thani governor to explain to everyone the facts on Koh Tao.

Tourists want to know everything the police know. Put to bed all mis information, rumours, conspiracy involved and also invite international media to ask questions.

No more hushing up media with threats. Just tell the world the honest truth. What has happened in the last 3 years on Koh Tao? What they know.

Confront the current situation with facts. Without that the misinformation will continue.

"Confront the current situation with facts. Without that the misinformation will continue."

You mean if they will not confront the situation with facts they will instead continue with their ongoing misinformation?

The Samui Governor has said:

“False accusations and distorted news coverage has caused a negative image to the tourism sector in the province,” Uaychai was quoted as saying by Matichon. “As the provincial governor, I represent someone directly damaged by this.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/07/04/samui-times-faces-libel-charge-labeling-koh-tao-death-island/

So maybe if there is a suit and he makes a reasonable case as to the above, the UK Press will cover that as well.

The Samui Governor has said:

“False accusations and distorted news coverage has caused a negative image to the tourism sector in the province,” Uaychai was quoted as saying by Matichon. “As the provincial governor, I represent someone directly damaged by this.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/07/04/samui-times-faces-libel-charge-labeling-koh-tao-death-island/

So maybe if there is a suit and he makes a reasonable case as to the above, the UK Press will cover that as well.

And the court case will be covered by many international news media agencies. I can see it now.
Samui Times calls in their first witness, Sean McAnna.
Sean "Can you tell the court of who chased you into the 7/11, that day back in 2014, and what they said they were going to do to you?"

Next witness Laura Witheridge , "What do you think happened to your sister and who do you think murdered her?"

Next Witness Rupert Murdoch, "Has news media you own printed negative stories about Koh Tao recently?"

Next Witness, mothers of the 2 Burmese boys sentenced to death. " Did the Samui Times owner help you when you had to appear in court for your sons court case? "

Next witness, Woraphan Touchien, " When the police in charge of the 2014 murders arrested your son Mon, why was the policeman in charge removed from the case and the new policeman in charge dismissed your son as a suspect and instead charged 2 Burmese boys instead?"

"Also who got the 4 million baht reward money you put up to find the real killers?"

Can't wait for the trial!!

There won't mostly be any trial in Thailand because, if the owners of the SamuiTimes were to receive a subpoena to appear in SuratThani Court, they probably wouldn't show up and they would default in any proceedings.

However any trial in Thailand if there were a trial in Thailand would most likely focus on what actual damages the plaintiffs could prove were directly attributable to the actions of the SamuiTimes and what anybody else did including the cast of characters above would be beside the point.

9 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Next Witness Rupert Murdoch, "Has news media you own printed negative stories about Koh Tao recently?"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Which planet are you living on again?

There won't mostly be any trial in Thailand because, if the owners of the SamuiTimes were to receive a subpoena to appear in SuratThani Court, they probably wouldn't show up and they would default in any proceedings.

However any trial in Thailand if there were a trial in Thailand would most likely focus on what actual damages the plaintiffs could prove were directly attributable to the actions of the SamuiTimes and what anybody else did including the cast of characters above would be beside the point.

So how could they prove that?
This libel case sounds like a farce already!

So there you have it.

At 1.30 pm today 7th July, a press conference was held by the Surat Thani police and the Surat Thani governor.

- All 7 cases of deaths by foreigners on Koh Tao were discussed in detail.

- Only Hannah and David were murdered.They caught the 2 responsible.

- Tourists have nothing to worry about.

- The libel suit against Samui Times is going to happen for distorted news and damaging tourism in the area.

Seems like an awfully big meeting, shame the same level of focus wasn't put into the investigations.

I expect to see some sort of case and most likely the Samui Times Website blocked in Thailand which would probably put an end to their advertising revenue.

14 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

So there you have it.

At 1.30 pm today 7th July, a press conference was held by the Surat Thani police and the Surat Thani governor.

- All 7 cases of deaths by foreigners on Koh Tao were discussed in detail.

- Only Hannah and David were murdered.They caught the 2 responsible.

- Tourists have nothing to worry about.

- The libel suit against Samui Times is going to happen for distorted news and damaging tourism in the area.

And the strange deaths will continue.

And the international press will flag these deaths up even more.

Well done Surat Thani.

35 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

The page seem to be made by a Claire Wyndham, Owner and Manager of Koh Tao International Primary, but appear as it's Koh Tao police asking people to sign a protest – did I understand that correct..?

On the School's Twitter-page it's stated that they "are a Not For Profit School on the island of Koh Tao, Thailand owned by Actor Eliza Taylor."

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

The page seem to be made by a Claire Wyndham, Owner and Manager of Koh Tao International Primary, but appear as it's Koh Tao police asking people to sign a protest – did I understand that correct..?

On the School's Twitter-page it's stated that they "are a Not For Profit School on the island of Koh Tao, Thailand owned by Actor Eliza Taylor."

https://www.gofundme.com/elizataylorschool

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

And the strange deaths will continue.

And the international press will flag these deaths up even more.

Well done Surat Thani.

The serial killer that can fool an array of UK coroners 

56 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

The serial killer that can fool an array of UK coroners 

The court in Thailand did not allow the UK autopsy performed on poor Hannah to be admitted as evidence because Mr Andrew Jonathan Hall presented the UK autopsy report and the person who performed the autopsy was not present in court.

Fair and independent judgment in your opinion I guess Dan?

Here is an array of 3 other UK coroner inquests besides the one conducted by Ms. Sumeray:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-40281095

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/nick-pearson-inquest-family-derbyshire-man-dead/story-25741734-detail/story.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3293703/Parents-backpacker-died-track-man-alive.html

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Very informative, thankyou for those news articles.

Although I fail to see what this has got to do a libel lawsuit being filed against the Samui Times for labeling Koh Tao as 'death island'.

Or as the petition from Claire Wyndham quoted says,

The Samui Times has continuously made false and inaccurate statements about Koh Tao island that have been quoted and shared by international news sources all over the World. The impact has been devastating on our small community, but also on the whole area, including Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.

Archived