Online Uproar Forces School To Cancel One-By-One Greeting Policy

webfact

Online Uproar Forces School To Cancel One-By-One Greeting Policy

By  Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

19756387_1446273328775078_37432207872873  

Students line up in front of Udonpittayanukoon School in Udon Thani on Monday.

UDON THANI — We all know what it’s like to be stuck in traffic for more than an hour in Thailand. But how about being stuck in an hour-long line to enter your own school?

Five thousand Udonpittayanukoon School students in Udon Thani found themselves in a chaos when school opened Monday. Under a new order from the director, they were required to line up and properly greet, or waii, their teachers at the gate – one by one. The change resulted in a long line snaking around the school and prompted many students to complain on social media.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/07/05/online-uproar-forces-school-cancel-waii-greeting-policy/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-05

Where some teachers need that coffee in the morning to get them through the day, other teachers need that wye of validation for their fragile egos. Well done, director. Just stick to collecting those brown envelopes. 

Is this school or military camp?

“The act of waii is not only a policy, it’s the identity of Thainess,” school director Sujin Khaokaew said Tuesday.

He added, “School does not only teach academic lessons to students, it must also teach Thai manners, which is the identity of our culture.”

Conform

Obey

Wait in line 

Still at least I now know what "Thainess" is. 

"School director Sujin admitted the policy led to long lines, but blamed teachers for positioning themselves too close to the gate which blocked the flow of students. Teachers have now been moved to stand and receive the waii inside the school compound, he said.

“Kids these days don’t have much patience,” Sujin said. “So, apart from teaching academic lessons to them, we have to teach them how to be patient.”

It's going to be a long, long, long school year, kids.

This has  been the policy at every school I have worked in or  visited  But the " gate duty "  was only a small group of teachers accompanied by some students But we had our duty 1 time a week. it never caused delays because it ws just the quick greeting wai not the full low stoop wai

Udon Pit is a very large school situated on a very busy road . I cannot understand why there were problems unless the teachers were stopping every student and making them wai every  one of them individualy , instead  of a quick  wai as they were walking which is the normal way 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“The act of waii is not only a policy, it’s the identity of Thainess,” school director Sujin Khaokaew said Tuesday.

He added, “School does not only teach academic lessons to students, it must also teach Thai manners, which is the identity of our culture.”

Conform

Obey

Wait in line 

Still at least I now know what "Thainess" is. 

after all that waiing i wouldn't have thought that they had any time for academic lessons

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The school director does not seem to have thought about the effects of his order. It represents the existing level of education very well.

yes, but now that the order has gone out he can still delay its implementation under section 44.

Little wonder the Thai education system is in a state of collapse when it operates along the lines of a military day camp.

Read this story from only 6 months ago and be horrified. Not hard to see what's coming. Welcome to the new North Korea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-23/thai-junta-introduces-idealogical-boot-camp-for-kindergarten/8145362

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Little wonder the Thai education system is in a state of collapse when it operates along the lines of a military day camp.

Read this story from only 6 months ago and be horrified. Not hard to see what's coming. Welcome to the new North Korea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-23/thai-junta-introduces-idealogical-boot-camp-for-kindergarten/8145362

Scary.  But thanks for brining it to my attention.  I lived in Damascus in 2003 and the school uniform for kids there was also a military style uniform.   I can't understand how the junta can keep getting away with this madness without people doing something about it. I know it's illegal to protest but enough people did, they couldn't stop it from happening. You can't arrest everyone.  The country is being run by a demented lunatic, and what's even more bizarre is foreigners on TV actually rushing to his defence.  I know a number of them have a pathological hatred of Thaksin but that doesn't mean you need to endorse the current maniac.

3 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Scary.  But thanks for brining it to my attention.  I lived in Damascus in 2003 and the school uniform for kids there was also a military style uniform.   I can't understand how the junta can keep getting away with this madness without people doing something about it. I know it's illegal to protest but enough people did, they couldn't stop it from happening. You can't arrest everyone.  The country is being run by a demented lunatic, and what's even more bizarre is foreigners on TV actually rushing to his defence.  I know a number of them have a pathological hatred of Thaksin but that doesn't mean you need to endorse the current maniac.

This is why Prayut is trying to censure the media. He has his fingerprints are all over it. He doesn't want this to get out to the rest of the world. All Thai children will become soldiers. It is the cunning transformation of Thailand into militarisation.

Everyone should read this and spread it far and wide. Diplomats take note. POTUS take note.

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

It was just a special program that 180 kids participated in so it's not actually trying to make all kindergarten kids wear uniforms.

You really want people to go out and protest that? At least they're only wearing uniforms and not putting guns in the hands of the kids like lots of American parents seem happy to do.

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It was just a special program that 180 kids participated in so it's not actually trying to make all kindergarten kids wear uniforms.

You really want people to go out and protest that? At least they're only wearing uniforms and not putting guns in the hands of the kids like lots of American parents seem happy to do.

That and a lot more! Yeah!

7 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I know it's illegal to protest but enough people did, they couldn't stop it from happening. You can't arrest everyone.  

No they can't arrest everybody, but they can start killing people again.

This school has a very stupid staff indeed if not one of them had the brains to say, lets  go into the school

grounds so the line up of the students are not holding up traffic on the street. No brain power shown

by the director, as well.  Must be Thailand!!!

Geezer

Thai public schools are notorious for adopting rigid army-like disciplines adopted from the time when the country was ruled by a military regime six decades ago. Legacies of that era include mandatory army haircuts for boys and short hair for girls, corporal punishment and emphasis on hierarchy.

:WPFflags:

Archived