Library

AjarnP

Hi y'all

I was just reading the thread on bookshops in CR and was just wondering.....

I have no less than three hundred paperbacks all in a 'once read' state. I'm pretty sure that many others amongst us are in the same situation.

It would be great to get some ideas on how we could share (not buy/rent as in pay for) our very own private libraries. Whilst I have no wish to see Orn's Bookshop or Gar Garon go out of business it seems to be such a waste to see these 'perfect' books just sitting around and using up valuable shelf space.

What would we need? space? a database? someone or sometwos or threes with a will to share and share alike the way I see it we could all be happy on the throne each morning for 'free'. One in one out with a deposit or an annual library fee to cover small administrative costs might work, no?

Lets see a few ideas coming and see what can't be put together.

Anyway, I've nearly finished my last book and in the absence of the Bangkok Post in my ceramic reading room; I'm getting desperate.

AjarnP :o

Edited by AjarnP

Hi y'all

I was just reading the thread on bookshops in CR and was just wondering.....

I have no less than three hundred paperbacks all in a 'once read' state. I'm pretty sure that many others amongst us are in the same situation.

It would be great to get some ideas on how we could share (not buy/rent as in pay for) our very own private libraries. Whilst I have no wish to see Orn's Bookshop or Gar Garon go out of business it seems to be such a waste to see these 'perfect' books just sitting around and using up valuable shelf space.

What would we need? space? a database? someone or sometwos or threes with a will to share and share alike the way I see it we could all be happy on the throne each morning for 'free'. One in one out with a deposit or an annual library fee to cover small administrative costs might work, no?

Lets see a few ideas coming and see what can't be put together.

Anyway, I've nearly finished my last book and in the absence of the Bangkok Post in my ceramic reading room; I'm getting desperate.

Good idea, as I said in the bookshop wars thread I already exchange books with a guy in Surin and the postage is very reasonable. I've got a lot of books I want to keep because I think a good book is like a good CD or movie (or woman if it comes to that), you can enjoy it more than once, but I have plenty I'd gladly exchange or even give away to a good home. PM me with a list of your favorite writers and perhaps we can meet at Big C when I come in to town to shop if I have anything you want. I'd even lend out my private stock but I'd want them back.

A friendly request (finally the occasion came):

Will all those who lent books from me during the past years just for one second consider to bring them back?

By the way: I have heard some rumours that Chiangraiguy is planning something in the direction of a library.

I think the Dutch (more than 35 expats) are the second language group.

I think one meter shelf would do for them :o

Limbo :D

A friendly request (finally the occasion came):

Will all those who lent books from me during the past years just for one second consider to bring them back?

By the way: I have heard some rumours that Chiangraiguy is planning something in the direction of a library.

I think the Dutch (more than 35 expats) are the second language group.

I think one meter shelf would do for them :o

Limbo :D

I don't think I'd have room for all the books I've 'lent' out over the years if they were returned now Limbo. Or for that matter, time to spend all the money people have borrowed and not returned if that came back!!.

Hi all

It's been awhile and am still healing. It will be a long one and in no way enjoyable, but that's life. On this topic, AUA is currently under new ownership, of the land, that is. We will still function as we normally have, however the new owner is planning to do a major revamp of the place sometime, I hope, this year. Along with this new building we are going to include a space for a library for the community. I am very excited about this as it has been something I've been working on for awhile. We already have a donation of over 800 books from a generous member of the community. Included in the donation are a number of novels and reference books about Thailand and SE asia. It's truly an amazing collection that will soon become available to you. We haven't yet worked out membership yet, but should be similar to Chiang Mai AUA library and pretty minimal cost, which we will need for operating and staffing the place.

I am urging anyone interested in donating books to please come by the AUA. We would tremendously appreciate any donations to get a good collection going. We can currently store any books that are donated and would be happy to put a name or plaque of some sort with the name of people who donate large volumes.

I really hope we can get an active community of readers going here in Chiang Rai. It is needed and I hope to provide it for you.

In terms of timelines, be patient. It's a work in progress, but we have a good start and have talked with the CR Chamber of Commerce to help with donations for bookshelves, tables, etc. and there is active interest.

I hope this helps and we can start something great for the CR community!

CRG :o

Happy new year CRG!

That sounds like a really nice plan and with that kind of start it will without a doubt get some attention as well. So it is going to be a general library for the community and not a special focus on students?

Hi all

It's been awhile and am still healing. It will be a long one and in no way enjoyable, but that's life. On this topic, AUA is currently under new ownership, of the land, that is. We will still function as we normally have, however the new owner is planning to do a major revamp of the place sometime, I hope, this year. Along with this new building we are going to include a space for a library for the community. I am very excited about this as it has been something I've been working on for awhile. We already have a donation of over 800 books from a generous member of the community. Included in the donation are a number of novels and reference books about Thailand and SE asia. It's truly an amazing collection that will soon become available to you. We haven't yet worked out membership yet, but should be similar to Chiang Mai AUA library and pretty minimal cost, which we will need for operating and staffing the place.

I am urging anyone interested in donating books to please come by the AUA. We would tremendously appreciate any donations to get a good collection going. We can currently store any books that are donated and would be happy to put a name or plaque of some sort with the name of people who donate large volumes.

I really hope we can get an active community of readers going here in Chiang Rai. It is needed and I hope to provide it for you.

In terms of timelines, be patient. It's a work in progress, but we have a good start and have talked with the CR Chamber of Commerce to help with donations for bookshelves, tables, etc. and there is active interest.

I hope this helps and we can start something great for the CR community!

CRG :D

Honestly speaking guys. My thoughts were of less of a commercial type arrangement. Say managed by a couple of expats with time on their hands and a will to assist the/our community in general.

I have a lot of time for AUA and all it has done for both farang and thai peoples. I might think twice though I about donating my collection in part or in full to such an operation. I could be persuaded otherwise, but is AUA genuinely a non-profit organisation??? (sorry about the 's' in that AUA but old habits die hard)

Keep it going guys, I'm sure we can collectively iron out the wrinkles and get started

Happy reading

Happy new year CRG!

That sounds like a really nice plan and with that kind of start it will without a doubt get some attention as well. So it is going to be a general library for the community and not a special focus on students?

Yes, it will be a library for the public and students alike. Although my faith in getting the Thai student population to read remains weak at best. So it will be a public library and yes, AUA is a non-profit org. I would surely have been fired by now if it were for profit. For the students, we plan to make a computer room and self-access center where students can come and do extra studies, tests, listening, etc. on their own time. Regardless of what you decide to do AjarnP, and whatever you decide is great, we will be going forward with the plan and just hope people are interested and hope to get some donations here and there.

I suggest you find a friendly bar that is opened and staffed already, make some book shelves and stock them.

Come in have a drink and swap books 1 for 1, no need to sort or organize the books, browsing is half the fun. More people donate and library gets bigger.

Harry's bar in Udon Thani does this with almost a thousand books on the shelf. When I need to restock my library I bring in 10 and take out 10.

Happy new year CRG!

Yes, it will be a library for the public and students alike. Although my faith in getting the Thai student population to read remains weak at best. So it will be a public library and yes, AUA is a non-profit org. I would surely have been fired by now if it were for profit. For the students, we plan to make a computer room and self-access center where students can come and do extra studies, tests, listening, etc. on their own time. Regardless of what you decide to do AjarnP, and whatever you decide is great, we will be going forward with the plan and just hope people are interested and hope to get some donations here and there.

CRG

I stand corrected. Happy New Year

When I get back from BKK I'll come in and CU

Cheers