Filing a UK Self Assessment Tax Return online - issue!

18 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes but where do you enter the £££££ earnings - Page TR 3 - Supplementary Income......?

Off the top of my head, I don't know, I only do it once a year, but when you fill the form in everthing falls into place. Have you ever tried filling one in on-line? 

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

Off the top of my head, I don't know, I only do it once a year, but when you fill the form in everthing falls into place. Have you ever tried filling one in on-line? 

Yes I used to do every year until I became non resident but then I did not have rental income.

16 hours ago, topt said:

Nobody (I don't think) is saying or even suggesting that. How, and in this case, what you decide to submit is obviously up to you but what I have been trying to find out is how you can submit the extra pages online that, in our position, I (and presumably OJAS)  currently complete a paper return for and specifically the property rental earnings.

You have already confirmed you do not complete a SA109 but what about the specific property pages SA105 (link in my previous post). If not can you tell us where  you declare your property earnings/profit and that should put this discussion to bed?  :thumbsup:

(Form SA100 is I think the form available to complete online)

Indeed, I do complete paper returns. But the stumbling block to filing them online in our case with the standard HMRC facility, I think, relates more to SA109 rather than SA105 (I also own UK property from which I derive rental income).

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Personally I think that deliberately excluding SA109 from the online submission service is daft and pointless (it's basically just a dozen or so tick-boxes and so is ideally suited to being done online), but since when did any bureaucracy use brains?

Completely agree. I recall a posting from a fellow TV member (who is a retired chartered accountant) some time ago in which he said that using the services of a commercial software supplier in order to include SA109 in an online return cost him £24 - which would appear to be considerably more than the postage for a paper return sent from LOS (except, possibly, by International EMS)!

16 hours ago, vogie said:

I enclose a photo of the relevant page, this I hope should clear up the topic, there are extra pages included with the software, but in all honesty it is just a continuation of the form. Anything else you need to know, I'll help if I can.

20170708_175510.thumb.jpg.3991abb683c5b164dd1dcaef643d0ecb.jpg

Above the "Additional Information" section at the top of the second column of your TR2 copy is this "Yes/No" section (numbered 8) which relates to SA109:-

Residence, remittance basis etc
Were you, for all or part of the year to 5 April 2017, one or more of the following:
• not resident
• not domiciled in the UK and claiming the remittance basis
• dual resident in the UK and another country?

HMRC have produced a Statutory Residency Test guidance note which you can download via
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547118/160803_RDR3_August2016_v2_0final_078500.pdf

It is 105 pages long, but I think that the nub of the matter in our case lies on pages 9 & 10

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Indeed, I do complete paper returns. But the stumbling block to filing them online in our case with the standard HMRC facility, I think, relates more to SA109 rather than SA105 (I also own UK property from which I derive rental income).

Completely agree. I recall a posting from a fellow TV member (who is a retired chartered accountant) some time ago in which he said that using the services of a commercial software supplier in order to include SA109 in an online return cost him £24 - which would appear to be considerably more than the postage for a paper return sent from LOS (except, possibly, by International EMS)!

Above the "Additional Information" section at the top of the second column of your TR2 copy is this "Yes/No" section (numbered 8) which relates to SA109:-

Residence, remittance basis etc
Were you, for all or part of the year to 5 April 2017, one or more of the following:
• not resident
• not domiciled in the UK and claiming the remittance basis
• dual resident in the UK and another country?

HMRC have produced a Statutory Residency Test guidance note which you can download via
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547118/160803_RDR3_August2016_v2_0final_078500.pdf

It is 105 pages long, but I think that the nub of the matter in our case lies on pages 9 & 10

I am sorry ojas you are having problems, I am sorry it appears that I have been no help to you, I just can't understand why I have no problems filling my SA100 out. I wish someone would come along and explain it to you better than myself. Good luck.

Just now, vogie said:

I am sorry ojas you are having problems, I am sorry it appears that I have been no help to you, I just can't understand why I have no problems filling my SA100 out. I wish someone would come along and explain it to you better than myself. Good luck.

I am having absolutely no trouble in completing my SA100 (nor, for that matter, SA105 and SA109), thank you very much. If sarcasm is the only way in which you can respond to my attempts to be helpful, then you can continue to paddle your own canoe with whatever outcome as far as I am concerned.

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I am having absolutely no trouble in completing my SA100 (nor, for that matter, SA105 and SA109), thank you very much. If sarcasm is the only way in which you can respond to my attempts to be helpful, then you can continue to paddle your own canoe with whatever outcome as far as I am concerned.

Whoa, you need help with your attitude, at no time was I trying to be sarcastic, my only aim was to help, goodbye!

I always download the tax return from HMRC web site print it off fill it in and post it back to the UK snail mail I then phone them after a few weeks just to make sure they have received it you can download in black and white it's acceptable

• 4 weeks later...

"Completely agree. I recall a posting from a fellow TV member (who is a retired chartered accountant) some time ago in which he said that using the services of a commercial software supplier in order to include SA109 in an online return cost him £24 - which would appear to be considerably more than the postage for a paper return sent from LOS (except, possibly, by International EMS)!"

Yep - that was probably me OJAS. I pay a reasonable amount of tax even though non-resident, so I have benefited from the extra few months of not paying. I would feel uncomfortable sending a paper tax return other than by EMS (about 1,000 baht). 100 quid late filing penalties for a non-delivered paper return (plus interest)? OK you probably have the online option as later backup to avoid that. I don't do paper where at all possible - better to have the files on my PC (properly backed up of course). 'Taxfiler' commercial software is much easier to use than the online HMRC stuff if you have long lists of share-related transactions to enter.

Works for me - can do everything from my desk at home, but I agree it may be overkill for those with simpler tax affairs. 

Archived