Looking For Housing

royg

I'm using an agent myself, and yes, in all but very unusual circumstances they're getting paid by the owner, not the renter (of course, I'm looking at 6-12 month leases, so for 3 they might charge you).

Also, I've found that the agents do seem to know more than you can find out on your own - at least if you're new and thai-illiterate (like me). What's more, every time I've checked the prices have either been identical or lower with the agent. Not big differences, but still, if you can't speak Thai and you're just getting to know the area, I think the agent is probably worth it - if only as a guide, translator, and most especially someone to help you get set up with ADSL, UTV, all that stuff. As a greenie, that was worth it for me.

All that said, what about that new place, Viang Bua (sp)? That sounds perfect for you - it's overpriced, sure, but on an expense account who cares. They've got cleaning, wireless internet, places that can get pretty big if you like, everything brand new... worth a thought. I think it's in the city, but not a busy area, so it might be just right for you. Their website is www.viangbua.com or something along those lines - google apartments in Chiang Mai and it'll come up towards the top.