want to do scuba dive course

songhklasid

G'day all, with my 60th birthday approaching december this year, I would like to learn scuba diving, was thinking of october this year, next question where is best weather/ visibility, was thinking koh tao ? or similan better ? Or should I wait to next trip in january ?

any information appreciated, cheers, Songhklasid.

Similans are a national park, no beginner diving courses should be conducted there.

October is nowhere the best, it is a month of change, but in Koh Tao there will be courses conducted, and it is the cheapest place to learn.

Koh Tao is not the place to go in October. That is monsoon season there and a lot of the dive shops close for either staff holidays or repair works.

Having said that, the seasons are changing everywhere, so you might get lucky with the weather. 

The diving on and around Koh Tao is average at best but this wouldn't really bother a complete novice.

My suggestion would be learn to dive with one of the companies in Phuket or even Koh Lanta. Then jump on a Live-aboard trip to the Similans to consolidate what you have just learnt and enjoy some reasonably good dives.

Archived