Red Wine

Lite Beer

What is the best way to serve red wine in LOS? Some keep it in the fridge which is too cold while others just leave it in the room where it is usually too warm. Apart from putting it in the fridge for a short time I cannot really think of any other way.

Strictly speaking red wine should be served 'room temperature' - in most places in 'Europe' this is 14ish degrees. If you can maintain this, do so. However, a point already made is drink it the way you enjoy it. Good red wine tastes better if it's room temperature, the better the wine the more this applies.

If you are talking about 'spy' (I think that's what it's called) drink it cold to mask the taste!

Enjoy the vino.

What is the best way to serve red wine in LOS? Some keep it in the fridge which is too cold while others just leave it in the room where it is usually too warm. Apart from putting it in the fridge for a short time I cannot really think of any other way.

Here's a guide:

http://www.cellarnotes.net/serving_temperatures.html

If the (outside)-temperature is high I prefer to drink red wine if it's a bit chilled since warm wine is really terrible....

LP

european cellar temps are about 10.5 to 12 deg celsius.

room temps in asia are somewhat higher.

which mean very slightly chilled for most reds, but generally lighter reds like boujalaise can be more chilled while heavier ones like graves could hardly do with any chilling.

serve it the way you enjoy it ,

and to hel_l with the wine snobs .................

Whilst I agree with this, it is true that the heavy reds are better warmer - some of them even up to 16 ish degrees. Experiment and see what you think.

Enjoy your vino!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought Dr P, would of been able to answer this one for you as he likes a few glasses himself.

I store mine in the coldest part of the house and 1 hour before I open it, I put it in the fridge. Wine should be around the 12 to 16 degrees mark I think?

Did you buy the red wine here? Kinda iffy...

To keep it sorta cool, put the bottle in the toilet tank.

And if I'm around leave a corkscrew in the hornng nam. :o

I was always of the brainwashed "serve it at room temperature brigade untill I got to LOS

For me serve it chilled from the fridge, if it's too cool a few minutes standing will sort it out even in an air con environment.

Yes, I agree. The prob is Thai room temp is not Euro room temp. As you said, a short visit to the fridge before decorking should stabilise the temp. Don't know how it affects the taste. I only drink white here unless someone brings a hand-carried bottle over on the plane. The diplomatic pouch wine is always good.

I'd say room temp as the flavor ob red wine diminishes wid cold serving temps...however room temp in Thailand ain't the same as in temperate climes...somewun said put the boddle in the toilet tank, that sounds good...

who can afford to drink good red wine in asia anyway :o...can get 2 boddles ob cheap vodka fer the same price...

Did you buy the red wine here? Kinda iffy...

To keep it sorta cool, put the bottle in the toilet tank.

And if I'm around leave a corkscrew in the hornng nam. :o

I was always of the brainwashed "serve it at room temperature brigade untill I got to LOS

For me serve it chilled from the fridge, if it's too cool a few minutes standing will sort it out even in an air con environment.

What? You wanna hit on me in the hong nam and drink my wine, too?