Yingluck plans to make her own closing statement

webfact

Yingluck plans to make her own closing statement 

By The Nation

2082b09afd12443c306d8c4a75c4ed65.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra plans to make her own verbal closing statement to the court in response to charges against her of negligence for failing to prevent corruption in the controversial rice-pledging scheme during her tenure.

“I want to make the statement myself,” she said.

“I’m confident in my evidence presented to the court that I’m innocent and not neglectful,” she said. 

The ex-premier was speaking when she arrived at the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders on Friday morning.

Today's hearing is the second last as the court set the last round for July 21. After the last hearing, the court will allow the plaintiff and defendants to make closing statements. They can choose to submit the statements in documents or make verbal statements. 

She said she will ask for more witnesses to testify.

Yingluck also said she was in good spirits and pleaded with the junta not to view her supporters as political. They were only displaying love and care for her, she said.

Every time she has attended court, a huge number of her supporters have turned out to support her. Security authorities earlier said they will employ more military in addition to police force to help keep order at the final hearing on July 21.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30320126

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-07

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we to expect a Perry Mason moment type of dramatic closing arguments or

more like ' it wasn't me, and I 'm so sorry and I promises 

to do it do it again

plea, begging for the court's mercy?....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Yingluck also said she was in good spirits and pleaded with the junta not to view her supporters as political. They were only displaying love and care for her, she said.

"Yes it's <deleted> political
Everything's political
Yes it's <deleted> satirical
Everything's satirical
Yes it's <deleted> political
Everything's political"

Skunk Anansie 

Oh dear, more dumping on the lovely Yingluck. So what if she was derelict in her duties, ignored warnings? She basically had no choice, her piece of garbage Father/Brother (??????) was using her as his pawn. Yeah I suppose if Yingluck had a backbone she could have told Thaksin to go pound salt but this is Thailand and the men always have the power. Anyhow, I will be in the court with a bouquet of red roses lending my support and affection to my dream Thai lady, the lovely Yingluck.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

45 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Are we to expect a Perry Mason moment type of dramatic closing arguments or

more like ' it wasn't me, and I 'm so sorry and I promises 

to do it do it again

plea, begging for the court's mercy?....

Plus... '...I'm really a nice girl...'

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

But but every governments past and current have rice subsidies scheme. 

None as moronic, as unworkable, as poorly conceived, as riddled with corruption or as disastrous as this one though. 

10 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Long live the Shinawatras and hope that this politically motivated fiasco strengthens their existing ability to win majority support and anger the elite.

... and rip off the naive poor!

54 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

None as moronic, as unworkable, as poorly conceived, as riddled with corruption or as disastrous as this one though. 

Still all are subsidies right. Only in Thailand is a legal charge is open for interpretation. 

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Still all are subsidies right. Only in Thailand is a legal charge is open for interpretation. 

This wasn't a subsidy. 

It was an inept attempt to control world prices for rice.

It destroyed Thailand's rice export industry. 

The govt took the farmers rice and did not pay them for it. 

The whole scheme was riddled with corruption and incompetence. 

It was the height of mismanagement and economic stupidity. 

It was a complete betrayal of PTs core supporters  

29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

This wasn't a subsidy. 

Let me ask you.

Is attempt to control price a crime? If so, OPEC and other cartels will be in serious trouble. 

So you feel that the she was held responsible because of rampant corruption and incompetence. Then I like to ask you whether the police chief should be charge for malfeasance because of rampant corruption in his force and his incompetence.

If you said it wasn't a subsidy, do tell me what should this be called as all the information on public domain called the scheme a subsidy program. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Let me ask you.

Is attempt to control price a crime? If so, OPEC and other cartels will be in serious trouble. 

So you feel that the she was held responsible because of rampant corruption and incompetence. Then I like to ask you whether the police chief should be charge for malfeasance because of rampant corruption in his force and his incompetence.

If you said it wasn't a subsidy, do tell me what should this be called as all the information on public domain called the scheme a subsidy program. 

I will call on you to look up subsidy't that are touted as cost neutral / self financing and the losses are kept off book out of the central budget. Find something like that and your allowed to call it a subsidy. 

Subsidies are taken as costs of a central budget.. and are not self financing.  Had she put it in the central budget and not called it self financing then it was a subsidy. She did not as the central budget could not handle the cost of the scheme. But she needed this scheme to get elected (buying votes with taxpayers money), so they decided to call it self financing and kept it out of the central budget. That is not something that is done in normal countries or done if something is a subsidy. 

17 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Let me ask you.

It was a crime because of the corruption and fraud that riddled the scheme. 

Taking rice and not paying for it should be considered a crime. 

I am all for the BIB chiefs to be prosecuted for their corrupt practices. Bring it on. 

The attempt to control world prices was inept and incompetent. OPEC can control world prices (well to a certain extent they can) because they are a cartel that controls the product. Thailand at no point had any such control over the supply and demand of rice, as events proved. It was stupidity of the highest order to ever think it could be. 

The rice scheme was nothing more than moronic, incompetent idiocy. It had no chance of succeeding or benefiting the farmers. You can call it a subsidy if you want but in reality it was nothing like that. A subsidy supports farmers, this drove many of them to suicide. 

57 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

This wasn't a subsidy. 

None of the farmers around me got stiffed on the rice scheme, they all got paid good money for their rice and it improved their lives dramatically.  Many of those higher up scum bags stole the rice from the government and also imported cheaper rice over borders to sell to the scheme. I can't fault her for trying to help farmers but if she was aware of the graft then punish her. I think they better cover up the kick backs on big military purchases, as they are setting the bar on punishing one of the Nations leaders.

Archived