Yingluck plans to make her own closing statement

webfact

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The attempt to control world prices was inept and incompetent.

Was Thailand not the largest rice producer when the scheme was first planned? If so then was it such a dumb idea 
to make a big pile and have a play with the market?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, webfact said:
4 hours ago, webfact said:

She said she will ask for more witnesses to testify.

“I’m confident in my evidence presented to the court that I’m innocent and not neglectful,” she said. 

those two statements do not swim together

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

Was Thailand not the largest rice producer when the scheme was first planned? If so then was it such a dumb idea 

It had a pretty major floor. One that seems easy to predict.

If you hoard rice there is a shortage. This causes the price to go up. This makes producers produce more.

If Thailand was the only country to produce rice, it would have some logic to it. But they weren't, so other rice producing countries increased production to fill the gap.

Now there is an oversupply of rice and the prices have fallen. The exact opposite to the desired effect.

And that's before you look at what happened to the rice that was horded, along with the vote buying.

Pretty awful really. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Let me ask you.

Is attempt to control price a crime? If so, OPEC and other cartels will be in serious trouble. 

So you feel that the she was held responsible because of rampant corruption and incompetence. Then I like to ask you whether the police chief should be charge for malfeasance because of rampant corruption in his force and his incompetence.

If you said it wasn't a subsidy, do tell me what should this be called as all the information on public domain called the scheme a subsidy program. 

They also called her a PM.

52 minutes ago, maxpower said:

As it cost the Thai people hundreds of billions of baht and now it is costing her a few billion, I'd say yes, it was a really dumb idea.

" However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Sir Winston Churchill 

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

As it cost the Thai people hundreds of billions of baht and now it is costing her a few billion, I'd say yes, it was a really dumb idea.

" However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Sir Winston Churchill 

Sir Winston Churchill as with all leaders had some big dumb strategies in hindsight but never got prosecuted for them.

Just now, Grubster said:

She was elected PM wasn't she?

She certainly was, offered enough electoral bribes and the mugs fell for it. however once in the position, she notable failed to live up to the job description. Acting as a puppet for an offshore fugitive criminal, failing to attend parliament to present and defend her policies, failing to act to reduce the obvious corruption and mounting losses of her major policy, mouthing STOP corruption while undercutting independent agencies and allowing her brother access to confidential cabinet meetings, being unable to report to the electorate on her policies - fail to make her any sort of PM.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

None of the farmers around me got stiffed on the rice scheme, they all got paid good money for their rice and it improved their lives dramatically.  Many of those higher up scum bags stole the rice from the government and also imported cheaper rice over borders to sell to the scheme. I can't fault her for trying to help farmers but if she was aware of the graft then punish her. I think they better cover up the kick backs on big military purchases, as they are setting the bar on punishing one of the Nations leaders.

"None of the farmers around me got stiffed on the rice scheme, they all got paid good money for their rice and it improved their lives dramatically."

And those dummies on this forum afflicted by tunnel vision, may well be further confused, If following an election, a party is elected, after 'claims' of causing widespread hardship.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

None of the farmers around me got stiffed on the rice scheme, they all got paid good money for their rice and it improved their lives dramatically.  Many of those higher up scum bags stole the rice from the government and also imported cheaper rice over borders to sell to the scheme. I can't fault her for trying to help farmers but if she was aware of the graft then punish her. I think they better cover up the kick backs on big military purchases, as they are setting the bar on punishing one of the Nations leaders.

Those who benefited were lucky. 

Many weren't. 

It was stupid. 

Even I saw why it wouldn't work from the get go. 

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I don't know why she bothers; this was decided years ago.

Some bright PTP spark had the  clever idea to keep her away from meetings, ostensibly well away, so she could deny, deny, and deny.

Unfortunately her appointing herself chairperson and then never bothering to attend any meetings let alone actually do the job rather undermines that clever idea.

Unless of course, she can explain her own unique management by absence science.

28 minutes ago, 473geo said:

"None of the farmers around me got stiffed on the rice scheme, they all got paid good money for their rice and it improved their lives dramatically."

And those dummies on this forum afflicted by tunnel vision, may well be further confused, If following an election, a party is elected, after 'claims' of causing widespread hardship.

Alas political parties and politicians do get elected time and time again after mediocre and abysmal performance. It's a wide phenomenon too - just look at the UK and other European countries.

Amazing how people will quickly forget the past when promised new wonderful things by politicians. All gonna be milk and honey tomorrow. 

45 minutes ago, Grubster said:

She was elected PM wasn't she?

By the PTP MP's who happened to all be receiving a salary from her brother paid in addition to their parliamentary one.

Number 1 party list for PTP, elected by PTP MP's, paid by her brother. 

55 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Sir Winston Churchill as with all leaders had some big dumb strategies in hindsight but never got prosecuted for them.

But he did attend and chair meetings; and did try is best. 

Not bunk off.

Yes - it was dumb and arrogant. But not surprising based on who thought it up - delusions of grandeur and power.

Unfortunately someone, like you, forgot that the second and third largest rice producer were pretty close and could also increase their supply. 

A gamble based on some very diverse variables, some of which are down to mother nature all being favorable. But a gamble with the tax payers' money not his own,

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Alas political parties and politicians do get elected time and time again after mediocre and abysmal performance. It's a wide phenomenon too - just look at the UK and other European countries.

Amazing how people will quickly forget the past when promised new wonderful things by politicians. All gonna be milk and honey tomorrow. 

Abysmal performance, for the country P&L yes, but for the rural population perhaps not so much as some try to make out.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Still all are subsidies right. Only in Thailand is a legal charge is open for interpretation. 

The other subsidies were on budget, included in the governments budget and had accounts.

This was off budget, apparently with no accounts but was assured to be self financing. 

Can you see the difference Eric?

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

But he did attend and chair meetings; and did try is best. 

Not bunk off.

By his own admission he could have been charged with 'Drunk in charge' could he not?

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Abysmal performance, for the country P&L yes, but for the rural population perhaps not so much as some try to make out.

I won't deny our family rice farmers profited from it. Sure, had to wait several months to get paid; and use me to bridge the cash flow gap. But end of the day benefited.

But the scheme as a whole, with seemingly no or not revealed management accounts, and riddled with corruption at all levels, was really an example of negligence. It needed to be very tightly managed, unless it was always intended as a money making scheme for the boys.

The tablet for kids fiasco, the several cabinet reshuffles and bringing in all the old TRT cronies when their bans expired. The more and more obvious control by Thaksin of the whole government; climaxing in the amnesty fiasco.

Really abysmal, But yes some, including tranches of the rural population did benefit.

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

By his own admission he could have been charged with 'Drunk in charge' could he not?

What was it he said "madam I am drunk and you are ugly - but in the morning I shall be sober"!

But he played a big part in saving the UK, Europe and other parts of the world from fascist domination. Sadly he couldn't save some from Soviet domination and could along with Roosevelt be accused of betraying those peoples.

However, to be fair, I wouldn't put Yingluck in the same category as Churchill, Roosevelt or any other world leader!

3 hours ago, maxpower said:

Go on go on, bore us with the twisted details and satisfy your appetite to argue for the sake of arguing.

You believe Thaksin then - that he and his family have never done anything wrong, in their lives, never ever?

Research how many of them have convictions and ongoing court cases against them.

26 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The other subsidies were on budget, included in the governments budget and had accounts.

This was off budget, apparently with no accounts but was assured to be self financing. 

Can you see the difference Eric?

Please please find me a definition of subsidy with the mode of funding. I am waiting.

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Please please find me a definition of subsidy with the mode of funding. I am waiting.

Please find me a definition of a subsidy that says it can be self financing, off the government budget, not require any financial and management accounts, and yet still be funded by tax payers money? I'm waiting

Archived