New immigration boss vows deep investigation of expats

webfact

13 hours ago, jpinx said:

A person on retirement is allowed to apply for citizenship if they want.  Their current status will not help, but it certainly does not prevent them from going through the process.  Your postings imply that a person on an extension based on retirement is somehow not allowed or is prevented from applying.  That is patently not true.

I suppose people on retirement extensions could attempt to begin to apply for permanent residence but they would be wasting their time and money.

The point I was making which is the absolute truth is that being on retirement extensions in Thailand does NOT provide a path towards permanent residence as it does in some other nations that offer formal retirement visa programs.

If you want to get into the ethics of this, I will do so here.

Imagine a person here 20 years on retirement extensions with nothing to go back to in their home country, but still living on a one year leash. Something goes wrong at immigration, then this now definitely ELDERLY person is totally screwed. They made Thailand home but not in the eyes of the Thai government. 

So there is a basic HUMAN COMPASSION aspect to nations offering a chance at an upgrade in residence security for people that have lived there for several years.

But again, in Thailand, for those on retirement extensions, they do not. So take it or leave it. 

As far as applying for permanent residence with any hope of success while on retirement extensions or marriage extensions I think this post will give you the definitive answer about that --

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/933827-best-visa-to-get-for-a-6-month-visit-with-thai-wife/?page=3#comment-11002705

Look at this long topic for info or do a post there: Camerata's Guide to Permanent Residence

I can assure you it is not possible without working for at least 3 consecutive years. I considered it myself and found out it is not possible now. I will soon be applying for my 9th extension based upon marriage.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will add that Thailand now offers a TEN YEAR scheme for retired expats.

The general consensus is that because of various reasons (much higher cost and the health insurance requirement which seems half baked compared to the actual insurance market here) most retired expats will continue to use the annual extension method.

But it is true an offer of ten year's of residence security though not permanent is better than only one year. 

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you want to get into the ethics of this, I will do so here.

Imagine a person here 20 years on retirement extensions with nothing to go back to in their home country, but still living on a one year leash. Something goes wrong at immigration, then this now definitely ELDERLY person is totally screwed. They made Thailand home but not in the eyes of the Thai government. 

We all make decisions in life and sometimes meet the face of the consequences or grace of those decisions. Though, everybody knew or should have known the boundaries of retiring in Thailand. It would seem they have been consistent about the expectations and reasonable about the meeting the requirements of staying in Thailand. Even within our own native countries we sometimes wish we had made different plans for retirement. Taken a different path. Like the movie, Thailand has become "No County for Old Men", especially the elderly Farangs with limited resources, or connections.

I sympathize with those who nurtured families, community, and embraced the country with little options to call Thailand home. For me, in the US Mexico is a better option, they have a path to residency, about the same cost of living as Thailand. There are safe communities. Plus, a quick flight to Medicare or VA Healthcare. Might visit Thailand, its too unpredictable, 90 day dress downs, or the yearly stress of catching a IO on a bad day or some quirky interpretation of the rules. 

23 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

We all make decisions in life and sometimes meet the face of the consequences or grace of those decisions. Though, everybody knew or should have known the boundaries of retiring in Thailand. It would seem they have been consistent about the expectations and reasonable about the meeting the requirements of staying in Thailand.

The problem is that NOW, the requirements for staying on extensions is constantly changing, and varies from office to office.

In the past it was simpler and more certain to get an extension than now.

If I learnt only one thing in life, it's never to trust bureaucrats to make anything easy.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The problem is that NOW, the requirements for staying on extensions is constantly changing, and varies from office to office.

If I learnt only one thing in life, it's never to trust bureaucrats to make anything easy.

Ten years of staying on annual extensions based on retirement have shown me only a few small administrative changes to the requirement and the process. ;) 

On 7/11/2017 at 2:20 PM, Jingthing said:

I can assure you it is not possible without working for at least 3 consecutive years

i find it irrational to tie perm resid to work; what about volunteers , who have to get work permit, and have no tax returns to prove work, would the work permit by itself be sufficient ? from what i read it is tied to the tax returns

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You got examples of that?  Maybe a few changes but mostly they are probably just enforcing what has been on the books.

I just got my extension this week in a little less then an hour at Chonburi.

Sure, it is not certain I guess if you don't meet the requirements. 

why not make residency available to the retired who have been here years on extensions, why do you have to have paid tax for three years? 

Because the government prefers an easy way to end the visit. They don't ask all that much for one year permission but they don't give all that much either. It's not particularly unfair but it is limited.

It took me ten minutes to get a letter from K Bank yesterday, five minutes for photos and photo copies at the Immigration copy office place,  zero minutes waiting time at the desk and just five minutes to hand it in and check everything is in order and two minutes to go back and pick up the passport this morning. 

An enterprising person is now offering parking just opposite the office now on a piece of waste land for 40 Baht if you cant find a place on the road.  

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i find it irrational to tie perm resid to work; what about volunteers , who have to get work permit, and have no tax returns to prove work, would the work permit by itself be sufficient ? from what i read it is tied to the tax returns

I think not.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You got examples of that?  Maybe a few changes but mostly they are probably just enforcing what has been on the books.

I just got my extension this week in a little less then an hour at Chonburi.

Sure, it is not certain I guess if you don't meet the requirements. 

Examples of that? Yes - does the necessity to provide a Google map showing grid locations of your place of residence appear any where in the regulations? Does providing a medical certificate (with blood test results and XRay results) appear anywhere in the regulations?

49 minutes ago, sambum said:

Examples of that? Yes - does the necessity to provide a Google map showing grid locations of your place of residence appear any where in the regulations? Does providing a medical certificate (with blood test results and XRay results) appear anywhere in the regulations?

OK, thanks for the examples.  It appears this is a Samui requirement?

I would not have a problem meeting these, but am glad I can/went to Chonburi with less hassle. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

OK, thanks for the examples.  It appears this is a Samui requirement?

I would not have a problem meeting these, but am glad I can/went to Chonburi with less hassle. 

And less expense! 

On 7/12/2017 at 6:00 AM, Kim1950 said:

We all make decisions in life and sometimes meet the face of the consequences or grace of those decisions. Though, everybody knew or should have known the boundaries of retiring in Thailand. It would seem they have been consistent about the expectations and reasonable about the meeting the requirements of staying in Thailand. Even within our own native countries we sometimes wish we had made different plans for retirement. Taken a different path. Like the movie, Thailand has become "No County for Old Men", especially the elderly Farangs with limited resources, or connections.

I sympathize with those who nurtured families, community, and embraced the country with little options to call Thailand home. For me, in the US Mexico is a better option, they have a path to residency, about the same cost of living as Thailand. There are safe communities. Plus, a quick flight to Medicare or VA Healthcare. Might visit Thailand, its too unpredictable, 90 day dress downs, or the yearly stress of catching a IO on a bad day or some quirky interpretation of the rules. 

What is a 90 day dress down?  Something to do with singlets or short shorts and black socks?  I must be confused I thought you were the guy who couldn't figure out how to get a retirement extension in Thailand?  Now you think Mexico would be a better option?  I've spent 20% of my relatively long life in Thailand and never had any problems, since you can apply for a retirement extension 30 to 45 days early never any stress.  I think most of the horror stories are agents trying to seed the market.  Best talk to Immigration yourself and eschew the internet experts and fake news organizations. 

Some off topic posts that are hijacking the topic have been removed, topic is about about a New immigration boss  in Pattaya.

If you wish to discuss visa procedure please do so in the visa forum thank you.

I have from a reliable source that 2 weeks ago 25 plain clothes inspectors were moved from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Their task is to clean up Pattaya from foreigners who engage in illegal activities, working without work permits, running businesses without license etc.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:47 AM, janclaes47 said:

I have from a reliable source that 2 weeks ago 25 plain clothes inspectors were moved from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Their task is to clean up Pattaya from foreigners who engage in illegal activities, working without work permits, running businesses without license etc.

so every farang in pattaya will now be acosted

1 minute ago, YetAnother said:

so every farang in pattaya will now be acosted

The only thing i know is that an extra 25 plain clothes inspectors, on top of the one that were active already, can investigate a lot of foreigners without them being aware.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, jpinx said:

Ten years of staying on annual extensions based on retirement have shown me only a few small administrative changes to the requirement and the process. ;) 

Different offices have different requirements.

If the new boss wants to, he can make it so difficult to get an extension, than many would give up. That would solve the "problem" of pesky farangs wanting to stay long time in LOS.

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the new boss wants to, he can make it so difficult to get an extension, than many would give up. That would solve the "problem" of pesky farangs wanting to stay long time in LOS.

Why should different offices have different requirements? There should be a standard procedure that is applied across the board, and all Immigration Officers should be aware of this procedure from the day they begin their employment!.

Why should different offices have different requirements? There should be a standard procedure that is applied across the board, and all Immigration Officers should be aware of this procedure from the day they begin their employment!.

Wrong country. Should? 55555

17 hours ago, sambum said:

LOL.

You are applying western logic.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

this is my real fear; this would thin out the farang, which it seems a growing number of people believe

Archived