Authorities fire back over Koh Tao ‘Death Island’ label

rooster59

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

and sometimes rumors just end up being rumors.

That will take someone or few coming forward with demonstrable irrefutable corrabable evidence and not just the hearsay that 'everybody knows'  and so what?

Have been reading a book online that is blocked in Thailand . The list of Tourist deaths in Thailand is shocking. For some reason there is no warning given to people visiting Thailand about the dangers that are there.

1 hour ago, DiscoDan said:

The other paper is saying the defense team of the B2 failed to lodge an appeal to the supreme court  and the case is now closed, anyone else heard this ?

I read that too, but from the same source as you. Have yet to see it reported in another source. 

According to the link below, the final appeal extension & deadline granted was 23 May. Have yet to read anything other than the BP that indicates the defense missed that deadline. 

Though I note one troubling thing from the article: the interpreter was barred from visiting the B2 along with the the lawyers (hence the request for the extension back in April). 

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/thai-court-sets-final-appeal-deadline-for-koh-tao-murder-case.html

14 minutes ago, docshock13 said:

I read that too, but from the same source as you. Have yet to see it reported in another source. 

According to the link below, the final appeal extension & deadline granted was 23 May. Have yet to read anything other than the BP that indicates the defense missed that deadline. 

Though I note one troubling thing from the article: the interpreter was barred from visiting the B2 along with the the lawyers (hence the request for the extension back in April). 

They said they had managed to get an extension till the 21st July, let's see if the defense comes out and refutes this claim.

No warning about the dangers?? This is from the UK Government Travel website:
Foreign Travel Advice: THAILAND

CRIME
Violent sexual assaults and unprovoked attacks have been reported in popular tourist destinations, including in the Koh Samui archipelago and Krabi province. These are particularly common during the monthly Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars.

Drink spiking has been reported in tourist destinations around Thailand, with both male and female victims. Be careful about taking drinks from strangers and at clubs and parties, or leaving your drinks unattended, particularly in Koh Samui, Pattaya and at the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan, where date rapes have been reported.

Alcohol and drugs can lead to you being less alert, less in control and less aware of your environment resulting in accidents, injuries, robbery, assaults and lost travel documents. If you drink, know your limit. Drinks served in bars overseas are often stronger than those in the UK. Some British nationals in Thailand have suffered severe psychiatric problems because of drug use, resulting in some suicides.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

That will take someone or few coming forward with demonstrable irrefutable corrabable evidence and not just the hearsay t and just hearsay.hat 'everybody knows'  and so what?

And if they can't then the rumor will stay a rumor and just hearsay.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

read it the same as you

if true

then disappointing

From the BP article , Christina Anneseley ; no other human dna, and died from taking drugs and alcohol.

There was another person with her a few hours before Christina was discovered, and no toxicolgy report with no investigation to determine if the mixture was sufficient to cause her death.

18 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

And if they can't then the rumor will stay a rumor and just hearsay.

In my opinion, everybody thinks they know because someone who says they know talked to someone who thinks they know because someone told them what they think they know.

36 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

They said they had managed to get an extension till the 21st July, let's see if the defense comes out and refutes this claim.

Who is 'they' and where did you read this?

13 minutes ago, StealthEnergiser said:

Another blunder from police :

Another news source is  quoting  "Pol Maj Gen Apichart saying  that the window to supreme court appeal has closed without one being filed."

Maybe he didn't get the memo?

That's right: If AIR is what you got then you got nothing but AIR.
But if you want to play Abbot & Costello that's fine with me:

Costello: What's the guy's name on first base?
Abbott: No. What is on second.
Costello: I'm not asking you who's on second.
Abbott: Who's on first.
Costello: I don't know.
Abbott: He's on third, we're not talking about him.
Costello: Now how did I get on third base?
Abbott: Why you mentioned his name.
Costello: If I mentioned the third baseman's name, who did I say is playing third?
Abbott: No. Who's playing first.
Costello: What's on first?
Abbott: What's on second.
Costello: I don't know.
(ETC. ETC.)

I would not suggest any son or daughter to travel to Koh Tao as an individual. But if he/she were part of a group that arranged to go to KT I would not tell him or her not to go but not to go out alone or stay out too late.

I would not want him or her to have to tell her school group friends or other group that had arranged for the trip that he/she cannot go with the others because her father spent too much time reading ThaiVisa.

Just now, JLCrab said:

I would not suggest any son or daughter to travel to Koh Tao as an individual. But if he/she were part of a group that arranged to go to KT and I would not tell him or her not to go but not to go out alone or stay out to late.

I wouldn't want my daughter to visit Koh Tao; whether in a group or with a friend.

So when you tell your kid not to go with the group, the 99+% chance outcome is that the other kids come back from the trip and tell your kid what a great time they missed because of their paranoid father and the kid is embarrassed and ends up hating you.

Just now, JLCrab said:

So when you tell your kid not to go with the group, the 99+% chance outcome is that the other kids comeback from the trip and tell your kid what a great time they missed because of their paranoid father and the kid is embarrassed and ends up hating you.

When youngsters go on holiday they can drop their guard easily. I would not want my daughter going there (or my son if I had one).

Plenty of places to go in Thailand to enjoy themselves.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Have been reading a book online that is blocked in Thailand . The list of Tourist deaths in Thailand is shocking. For some reason there is no warning given to people visiting Thailand about the dangers that are there.

Well there is a warning report on FB about all this.

Has many many replies all of summed up by:
-Ridiculous sensationalism
-i went there an im ok

Many even say:
-if you do stupid things bad stuff happens.

There are so many replies that supporting the island you must actually search very hard to see anything negative.

Id say 1 post in 50 will say something bad

Id say many know already but for sure it not stop them going there again even some there at the time of the double murders

2 hours ago, DiscoDan said:

There best chance of a fair hearing was at the supreme court according to their supporters.

In reality they never had a "best chance of a fair hearing" and even if they do get a hearing, then again it won't be fair.

They have no chance of succeeding now that the "decision" has been made and backed by people in power because of a "loss of face" not only for them, but for the Thai country as a whole.

There are so many things which have never been explained, or make any sense, and these things would mean that the case would have been thrown out of court in a normal country/society, but that's not how things work in Thailand.

As soon as the case was "settled" on the supposed DNA match from the semen sample which was "all used up" and nothing provided as proof other than a piece of paper which said that the DNA matched (which is why the defence never challenged that, because it was a waste of time) then the fate of the two Burmese was sealed.

The whole thing reeks of a set up, and something which has always puzzled me and I've never found an answer to, was how poor David had around eight small neat puncture marks in his head, so neat and precise as to be just about impossible to have been caused by the hoe produced as evidence?

Having said that, those of us who have lived here for a few years know full well how power, money and corruption rule the country, so although we may despair for the lives of the two Burmese boys, there's nothing we can do about it.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

When youngsters go on holiday they can drop their guard easily. I would not want my daughter going there (or my son if I had one).

Plenty of places to go in Thailand to enjoy themselves.

I agree plenty of other places to go but sometimes that is a group decision and your choice is to tell your kid whether or not they will be allowed to go with all the other kids whose parents may or not be as well informed as yourself.

Whether there is or isn't some sort of resident evil on Kho Tao I can't speculate. However those young people who have so sadly lost their lives there are in an age group that is unfortunately and statistically prone to misadventure. It could have happened to me in so many ways when I was young.

Justice, professional Police work, uninfluenced media reporting and possible indifference to the problems of foreigners in Thailand by the Thai authorities. Now that's a different story altogether.

17 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I agree plenty of other places to go but sometimes that is a group decision and your choice is to tell your kid whether or not they will be allowed to go with all the other kids whose parents may or not be as well informed as yourself.

My daughter did visit with two female friends late last year. Arrived in Phuket and traveled up country to see me before leaving back for London. When I found out she was visiting,  I advised her not to go to the place (as it happened she knew about its dark side anyway).  I would have been extremely concerned for their safety if they had gone to Koh Tao. She didn't and that is that. Others might not feel that they need to advise youngsters on things like this.

I think there is a 'dark side' to the island. I haven't research the incidents, like others, but safety first is not a bad policy here in the LOS anyway.

If I had a daughter from UK traveling with 2 female friends I would probably tell them to skip Koh Tao as well. But I was assuming your daughter was here in Thailand and would be traveling with a school group or similar. I would probably tell a farang daughter with 2 female UK friends to skip a lot of other places as well.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My daughter did visit with two female friends late last year. Arrived in Phuket and traveled up country to see me before leaving back for London. When I found out she was visiting,  I advised her not to go to the place (as it happened she knew about its dark side anyway).  I would have been extremely concerned for their safety if they had gone to Koh Tao. She didn't and that is that. Others might not feel that they need to advise youngsters on things like this.

I think there is a 'dark side' to the island. I haven't research the incidents, like others, but safety first is not a bad policy here in the LOS anyway.

Two friends of mine asked me to be the LOS point of contact for their 20-something daughters on their separate vacations. They both had 'islands' on their itineraries but I didn't proffer any advice on avoiding anywhere. Nobody called.

7 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I would probably tell a farang daughter with 2 female UK friends to skip a lot of other places as well.

As our children get older, 'tell' gradually changes into 'advise'. If I went back to London this particular daughter - a firefighter in east London - might advise me not to go to certain places. She has her finger on the button, so to speak, just as I hope I have here regarding safety.

Good luck to those who are planning to file criminal defamation charges against The Samui Times.  The publisher, editor and owner, Suzanne Buchanan, moved back to the UK last year and the website is now hosted and operated from there. Since defamation is not a criminal offence any more in the UK (nor in any other Western democracies), extradition under the 1913 Anglo-Siam Treaty is not an option for Thai prosecutors.  If Ms Buchanan declines to answer a summons and appear in a Thai court, there is no way to prosecute a case against her or the online publication.   Given the enemies she has already made in Thailand prior to this episode, it seems unlikely that she had any plans to ever return to Thailand  when she returned home.  

A civil action would not require the presence of the defendant in court but since neither the publication, nor Ms Buchanan have any assets in Thailand and Thai courts have no jurisdiction overseas, there would be no way of enforcing a judgement.     

Archived