BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jts-khorat

Learning Pali

Just that it would not seem that I abandoned this thread...

Over the last days I have been reading non-stop, and all the links provided here have been extremely helpful. A completely new world has opened itself to me and I just going through the stuff I have bookmarked or printed out so far will keep me busy for months.

Thanks for the good info!

Thirdly.

My learning progress and ultimate success will heavily depend on not doing it alone, and involving my current or future partners here in Thailand.

Are there sources that not only are English-Pali, but Thai-Pali in parallel (my Thai is pretty good in speaking and writing, so I am not limited here)?

Hi jts-khorat,

it is difficult to find English-Thai-Pali sources in WWW. Here ist a CD: http://www.buddhist-canon.com/PALI/

You can download it where this is written: 整片CD下載 (Windows ®版本) But it is a very, very slow download.

and here is a file with the eight precepts in http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=41296 .

With best wishes

ShinMeiDokuJoh

Yes, there are several Pali-English dictionaries on-line. The fonts they refer to are character sets that display the diacritics (accents and other symbols used to try and approximate the sound).

I didn't find a font that looks like the Pali I have seen on ruins and monuments around Thailand, or am I confusing that with Mon, Sanskrit, or some other language? You can tell I'm not a Pali expert.

My software would support the English diacritic style of Pali in the "phonetics" or "transliteration" field of each database record, as well as the English meaning, and the Pali word in Pali script.

I have Fontmaker and can make a Pali script font, if one does not exist, if someone can point me at suitable photos of the script.

Since my software supports multiple dictionaries in parallel, each Pali word entered would automatically have the French, German, Dutch, etc., equivalent already there, as well.

I didn't find a font that looks like the Pali I have seen on ruins and monuments around Thailand, or am I confusing that with Mon, Sanskrit, or some other language? You can tell I'm not a Pali expert.

I have Fontmaker and can make a Pali script font, if one does not exist, if someone can point me at suitable photos of the script.

Until fairly recently, Pali was written in Khom script in Thailand. Only with one of the Rama kings (I forget which one) was the first Tipitaka in Thai script produced. Pali doesn't actually have it's own alphabet, and throughout history it's been written in various local scripts. Hence a lot of Pali translators have to be able to read a number of different scripts. For example, my mentor is currently working on a group of Indo-Burmese non-canonical Pali texts (although that is paradoxical, I know, as Pali refers to Canonical and Commentarial material only, and the language is actually called Magadhi), for which he's had to work with those skilled in reading ancient Mon scripts.

Anyway, the point is you don't need to make a Pali script font, as there really is no Pali script. But you can download Pali fonts, using the Roman alphabet along with the appropriate diacritics. Some such fonts are available for download at http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp_pali2.htm. Also, you may wish to download the Alt-Latin keyboard or IndiUni keyboard, which allows for easy input of the diacritics using hotkeys. Saves a ton of time.

By the way if you are really interested in completing this project, it may behoove you to get in touch with the Pali Text Society, or the Fragile Palm Leaves Foundation or some other Pali foundation out there. They may be interested, and who knows, you may even get a grant!

Edited by tycann