If not for women

58 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Once you know the reality behind the Land of False Smiles and spend time overseas away from the constant garbage that we are constantly bombarded with it becomes crystal clear what a sh*thole Thailand really is, and any reason to visit becomes increasingly obscure. It is so dis-functional that it is difficult to know how the country functions at all. I've just returned from a period overseas, and the contrast is huge. The ignorance of the locals and their immature behaviour is staggering. I would leave in a heartbeat, had I not made the error decades ago of marrying a local and moving to the country. The only thing the country offers to many is that it is cheap, but that is fast becoming a thing of the past and I can think of no reason to travel halfway around the world when better attitudes and infrastructure and often cheaper prices can be found nearer to home. No reason at all.

Sorry but you sound like you'd be miserable anywhere, mate.

Usually, when foreigners slag off Thailand and its people so completely, it's because their own shortcomings have manifested themselves in their lives here.

Better you slag yourself off for not employing objectivity before marrying and moving here.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes they do, but only for their money.

Sorry but what else do they have to offer?

Farang wisdom that made their countries so appealing that they couldn't wait to up sticks and move halfway around the world?

Thais who know and love us want us here but as a nation, they probably couldn't give two shits.

1 hour ago, connda said:

I live in Thailand to engage in drunken sex fueled parties with bar girls <but shhhhh, don't tell the teerak>.  

But seriously, I'm here because of my marriage.  If that situation ever changes I'll completely reassess my living situation considering the Machiavellian immigration policies rather irritate me.  How many people in this world hammer the West for its liberal immigration policies because they want them even more liberal.  Yet not a peep about Thailand's over-enthusiastic enforcement of their borders?  
My suggestions for anyone considering living here - do your research before committing to that plan, especially if you're considering marrying a Thai.  You'll never be accepted here, ever. Understand that before you commit.  Seriously.

"You'll never be accepted here, ever. Understand that before you commit." Why do you expect them to accept you into their society? Do Americans or Europeans accept any Thais living there as one of their own? I don't think so.

Farangs think too much. Keep life simple.

27 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I enjoy the beautiful Thai women with their easy smiles, great legs, fabulous smooth skin, etc. but I also always wanted to live in a tropical country after being based in Singapore in the RN back in 1963. Of course a different world back then. So for me it is close to perfect with affordable prices, great women, jungle, love the weather, affordable internal plane flights, cheap rent, delicious variety of fruit, minimum clothes, living on the beach. All of these things would be unattainable back in California, especially the beautiful available women of any age on offer here. And I do not mean hookers or bar girls. I am a very healthy fortunate 73 with a 41 year old girlfriend. And she keeps me young and fit because she always is on the move doing stuff, happy, funny, sexy, and adorable. What more do I really need. The immigration stuff over a year is a minor inconvenience......but no country is perfect. So all you unhappy guys please leave at your convenience, and us happy ones will reap the benefits. Watch the door doesn't hit you in the ass as you leave. 555

Thanks for a great answer.  I wish the people who actually like Thailand has more of a voice on T.V. but the moaners seem to be in the majority.  I suspect it is because their life sucks and would do so wherever they lived.  Because their life sucks, they have time to bitch and complain, while those of us who love it here are actually out enjoying life.

The women were the only draw for me, and now I am totally bored with them. Hence, moved back to my country after living in Bangkok for three years. Will I ever come back for a visit? Don't really know: 20+ hour flight to get there, not as cheap as it used to be, and bored with everything Thailand. My next trips I believe I will visit Japan and the Philippines for the first time, and then head back to Vegas for some blackjack. The longer I am way from Thailand, the less I want to return. Nah, I am not coming back. 

7 hours ago, benalibina said:

My kids are my only connection to Thailand. For the rest I am done with this dishonest, immoral and bullying society. So, women or not, I dont care anymore.

I am going through a sticky patch right now and am leaving the wife ( another subject on another thread) plans to move from central issat to rayong area but your post made me halt and rethink. 

Selfish, rude,  dishonest, immoral, feckless, delusional, narcissistic are but some of the words used to describe our indig hosts but thereagain they are pretty much the same words that I use to describe some of the people with whom I am forced to deal ( esp estate agencies) back home. So on balance the weather and prefereable tax here swings it to yup I would stay ( actually will stay) but thanks for making me reconsider. 

If I wasn't in a relationship I'd be looking at moving elsewhere, it's not so much that I don't love Thailand but the constant crackdowns on visas, increasing prices... other places welcome farangs with open arms whereas Thailand continues to move in the opposite direction complete with creeping xenophobia.  

I personally love Vietnam having been there a couple of times but I'm also hearing great things about The Philippines (never been personally) including from a couple of people I know who use to live in Thailand that have relocated in the last 12 months.

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

If not for my wife, then no, I wouldn't live in Thailand....

Me too, if life had taken a different course I could be living in Malaysia, Korea or still in the UK.

5 minutes ago, boorsd said:

Thanks for a great answer.  I wish the people who actually like Thailand has more of a voice on T.V. but the moaners seem to be in the majority.  I suspect it is because their life sucks and would do so wherever they lived.  Because their life sucks, they have time to bitch and complain, while those of us who love it here are actually out enjoying life.

they arent all moaning because they wouldnt choose to stay in Thailand. I really like Thailand, but i travel enough to realise that there are plenty of other places equally as good or better. My wife and I gravitate back to Thailand because for her it will always be home but we appreciate the other country's that we have lived in too and they arent western country's. 

6 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

If I wasn't in a relationship I'd be looking at moving elsewhere, it's not so much that I don't love Thailand but the constant crackdowns on visas, increasing prices... other places welcome farangs with open arms whereas Thailand continues to move in the opposite direction complete with creeping xenophobia.  

I personally love Vietnam having been there a couple of times but I'm also hearing great things about The Philippines (never been personally) including from a couple of people I know who use to live in Thailand that have relocated in the last 12 months.

Oh fellow Dark one, interesting post,any chance you could keep me in the loop by pm on this concept. Am at a crossroads myself right now

10 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

I have worked in Vietnam and Phils and rate both of them as a reasonable place to live. I didnt go too much for the bland Phils food (they have great international restaurants though) but the Vietnamese food was awesome. I dont know anyone who worked in either place that didnt love the experience and on both jobs there were guys that decided to make it their home. I also spent 3 years working in Indo and it was fantastic (Sulawezi and Sumatra) and rank those places too.

When you have a wrong perception right from the start then whatever comes after cannot be right or good, so you will be unhappy no matter where you go.

Think about it. 

I often wonder why the Thais should smile, why the prices should be cheap, why the beer should be good, why the women should be willingly. Why the Junta should be running the country the right democratic ways. 

Oh, Thailand is no good anymore I am leaving not coming back anymore ( as if anyone cares). 

One day it's the Thais who can't take it anymore(not farang who can't take it anymore) say to the farang, "Farang pai koh di kua, mai tong karp ma"

24 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Ultimately, the gild falls from all the lilies.

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Some might say they stay in spite of the women.....

If one were a pimp or bar owner, perhaps could call self "wh***monger"... most guys are consumers, not suppliers, if we use this definition of "monger": denoting a dealer or trader in a specified commodity.

But mongering has absolutely bugger all to do with fish.

Oh, wait...

9 minutes ago, madusa said:

One day it's the Thais who can't take it anymore(not farang who can't take it anymore) say to the farang, "Farang pai koh di kua, mai tong karp ma"

For a thai to say this unreadable meaningless sentence he's probably been at the lao khao all day, i wouldnt worry

??

Perhaps this thread should be retitled the whingers vs the rest.

I researched possible retirement destinations for six months, and settled on Thailand. Vietnam possibly second. Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia - forget it. That was nine years ago, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

I feel sorry for the TV posters who are disappointed in Thailand. They presumably lead sad lives. I regard Thailand as an ongoing adventure. My life here is far more enjoyable than it would be back in Australia.

The women are a bonus. One of my recreations is to simply sit in a shopping mall and watch some gorgeous females walk by - the dog percentage is very low here. And they age a lot better than most Western women.

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Depends. Farangs leaning toward "honesty" would tend to answer with "yes, it's the woman".

Others will be outraged by the question itself: "How dare you! Do I look like a w**re-monger? My Thai-Wife of 325 years and I have a beautiful ...etc, etc,etc

I know why I visit Thailand and I know why the overwhelming majority of Farangs visit Thailand. It's the temples, what else.....
Cheers.

My wife is not  from Thailand and she is the one  who wanted to come here. So, one woman in particular, was the reason I came here to live.

I stay because I like the even temperament of the locals, the courteous driving habits, the professionalism of the authorities, and the wide selection of steaks, cheeses, and wines.

27 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I stay because I like the even temperament of the locals, the courteous driving habits, the professionalism of the authorities, and the wide selection of steaks, cheeses, and wines.

When I first read this, I took it at face value, but had to snigger at the "professionalism of the authorities" phrase. I was wondering, "What are you thinking?"

Then I re-read the paragraph and realized that every single phrase was tongue-in-cheek!  Yes, I love it despite all these things, too! ?

The women are the certainly the best thing. The rest is mainly concrete and overhead wires.

Btw, if chercher la femme is your thing, I would also recommend Chile - beautiful, friendly,  intelligent women - and very amenable. A reasonably civilised country with a nice climate.

If it had not been turned into an utter sh**hole, the only place my (farang) wife of 43 years and I would rather live is Zimbabwe. As that is out of the question, Thailand suits us fine. It is certainly better than UK, a miserable country, full of miserable people, and unaffordable since the wanking bankers and the government stole our pensions! Even the rain here is ok - at least it is warm!

I moved here at the age of 43 whilst going through a bitter, angry, spiteful divorce from a New Zealand woman. It was like being handed a parachute from a plane in free fall. The lifestyle, weather and woman all contributed to my recovery. I'll always be grateful to Thailand for saving me from a lifetime of depression.

3 minutes ago, London Boy said:

I moved here at the age of 43 whilst going through a bitter, angry, spiteful divorce from a New Zealand woman. It was like being handed a parachute from a plane in free fall. The lifestyle, weather and woman all contributed to my recovery. I'll always be grateful to Thailand for saving me from a lifetime of depression.

My story is similar. I was going through a nasty divorce a decade ago and spent a week in Phuket after a business trip to Japan. On the way back to the US, I made a fateful decision to move here. It took me almost two years to turn the plan into reality, but here I am. 

I have no ties in the US any more. When I moved here, I resolved never to compare Thailand with the US. It's different... really different... but I don't ever stop to think whether it's better or worse. I simply concentrate on making my life here as best I can... and I'm happy... ?

Archived