If not for women

2 hours ago, benalibina said:

Well good luck, sounbds like you really need It after reading your comment.

Why thanks Ben old chum, that went down really well. 

Hopefully "operation Dynamo" will be a go go go today. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, smotherb said:

My wife is not  from Thailand and she is the one  who wanted to come here. So, one woman in particular, was the reason I came here to live.

I stay because I like the even temperament of the locals, the courteous driving habits, the professionalism of the authorities, and the wide selection of steaks, cheeses, and wines.

Woah there Herb old chum, lay off the weed a bit.......

5 hours ago, Been there done that said:

I think he meant, all negative behaviour cannot be excused. 

Drop in the ocean :passifier: are the problems foreigners cause in Thailand. 

Christ man it's pretty pathetic when you have to spell it out to an apologist. Obviously left  his common sense at home today. 

8 hours ago, CLW said:

Don't know, never been there. Is it also warm there in winter?

8 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

What of southern Spain? I know that a lot of Brits gravitate there. Valencia seems nice.

Southern Spain is quite nice in my view, especially higher up from the coast and inland, very nice area,

laidback quiet, not costly.

Interesting arab influence there,  thats how far the arabs/muslims came up north (back in the medieval times).

Thats also where they made the Clint Eastwood (spaghetti western) movies.

Mild climate year round (normally) by the cost. Not so high up/inland - but very warm in the summer.

On 11.7.2017 at 3:34 AM, melvinmelvin said:

sure would, actually I do

getting rid of girlfriends and the like was a step forward, life became more pleasant,

now I can focus on my hobbies as much as I like, no worries

really enjoy the wife/girlfriend free life in LoS

(taxi drivers often ask me if I have Thai wife, normally I answer;

don't have wife, don't have mia noi, don't have girlfriend, don't have gik

don't have problems)

after having read some of the comments here I'd like to expand a bit on why I really enjoy my time here in LoS;

I find LoS as a whole quite laidback and quiet, suits me

To a large extent (within reason) you can do what you like / look as you like in LoS, suits me (an old anarchist) well

most things quite affordable - can do/amuse myself easily with stuff here that would be costly back "home"

enjoy the climate and the mild evenings very much

living 5-7 kilometers NW of Bangkok, (soi sleaze on Sukhumvit only 35 minutes/250 baht away by taxi if traffic is OK)

very rural and quiet, almost at the end of a dead end street, old wooden house on stilts by a canal, enjoy it A LOT

no hot/cold water or AC, just fine, no problem really

enjoy quiet evenings sitting in the sala chatting with neighbours - pleasant indeed

(neighbours are all Thai, mostly blue collar people on minimum salary)

enriches my life to learn about their ways and thoughts and problems

enjoy the very quiet mornings, see the light - later the sun coming and listening to birds/animals (and neighbours) waing up, good time for reflection

adapting to some Thai ways myself, am not a slave of farang time and punctuallity anymore, like I used to be,

I like that

focusing on jai yen and leaving jai ron for yearly short visits to Europe, probably good for me

comfortable with going to bed 9pm/10pm and start working 5am/6am

happy

like an old friend of mine used to say when drinking in thr early atmosphere in Madrid;

La vida en Espagne est muy agreable, muy agreable

14 hours ago, jenifer d said:

that is not completely true; if one TRULY comes to learn the language and LIVE the Thai culture,

one CAN be accepted and respected here- but it does take a willingness to be open to change,

in some respects radical change- my next door neighbors of 7 1/2 yrs and i talk about this often, they remark that they wish others who came here even understood 1/10th as much of the culture as i do...

But I thought you were advocating learning to play the guitar and singing...

Apolo. to the OP for digressing a (wee) bit, but this thread is probably a suitable thread for my question.

Higher up Ecuador, Bolivia and Colombia were mentioned as potential places to stay.

Up through the years I have been many times to these three countries (as well as a host of other SA countries).

Mostly as delegate to international (intergovernmental stuff) meetings. The vast majority of participants from

America but also Europe and Asia and Africa. Solid numbers from US and Canada.

My friends/colleagues from US/Canada were scared shitless about going to meetings in these 3 countries.

I am not exaggerating, it took the piss out of them,

Scared of robberies, shooting, blind violence, kidnapping - you name it.

They never never left the hotel for a beer or shopping or look around. Couldn't wait to leave the country.

(These were not your average US/Canadian civil servant but seasoned travellers who travel the world all the time.)

The security arrangements were quite massive actually, never seen anything like it anywhere else in the world, (and I have seen a lot). Very high security for all delegates all the way from aircraft to hotel to meeting venue.

When I (alone) now and then visited authorities for exchanges of views in Ecuador and Colombia I was always met at the airplane door by heavily armed soldiers/special police, they followed me through immigration/baggage/claim/customs (didn't help, just watching my back) and then to a couple of armed vehicles outside - off to hotel. And then same procedure next day for transport to Ministry or whatever.

(Personally I couldn't care less about the security but refusing it would probably not be conductive for the talks.)

Have finished this line of work now, so probably 8 years since last I was there - not too long.

Now,

I read here on TV and also in other forums that these 3 countries are highlighted as potential places to retire.

And I see Americans advocating retirement in these countries.

This really surprises me. Can't get it to match my experiences from travelling to these countries.

Also doubt that the places have gone from dangerous to agreeable for Americans over the past, say 10 years.

Any views/comments?

(and yes, plenty nice chicas in SA - they are not only in LoS)

Apolo. to the OP for digressing a (wee) bit, but this thread is probably a suitable thread for my question.

Higher up Ecuador, Bolivia and Colombia were mentioned as potential places to stay.

Up through the years I have been many times to these three countries (as well as a host of other SA countries).
Mostly as delegate to international (intergovernmental stuff) meetings. The vast majority of participants from
My friends/colleagues from US/Canada were scared shitless about going to meetings in these 3 countries.
They never never left the hotel for a beer or shopping or look around. Couldn't wait to leave the country.
(These were not your average US/Canadian civil servant but seasoned travellers who travel the world all the time.)

The security arrangements were quite massive actually, never seen anything like it anywhere else in the world, (and I have seen a lot). Very high security for all delegates all the way from aircraft to hotel to meeting venue.

When I (alone) now and then visited authorities for exchanges of views in Ecuador and Colombia I was always met at the airplane door by heavily armed soldiers/special police, they followed me through immigration/baggage/claim/customs (didn't help, just watching my back) and then to a couple of armed vehicles outside - off to hotel. And then same procedure next day for transport to Ministry or whatever.

(Personally I couldn't care less about the security but refusing it would probably not be conductive for the talks.)

Have finished this line of work now, so probably 8 years since last I was there - not too long.

Now,
I read here on TV and also in other forums that these 3 countries are highlighted as potential places to retire.
This really surprises me. Can't get it to match my experiences from travelling to these countries.
Also doubt that the places have gone from dangerous to agreeable for Americans over the past, say 10 years.

Any views/comments?

During travelling there I felt safe, no problems encountered.
It's good if you can speak Spanish.
Some trying to rip you off with dual prices but just avoid them.
Mostly you are seen there as "Gringo" the SA equivalent to farang.
But once you get in some conversation with locals they loose this attitude.

Travelled 2009 to Venezuela (Isla Margarita and the Table mountains, I forgot the Spanish name)
Avoided Caracas.
Everyone warned me it might dangerous.
One of the best holidays of my life.
Had connection with a family and they took me around like their own son.
Very nice and friendly people.
SA in general you have to expect a lot of control by police and military heavily armed but once they​ checked your documents everything is fine.

However medical care and infrastructure is very poor except the capital cities.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, Goldbear said:

I love Thai food, hate cold weather and I don't want to own any house/land or whatever. 

Soon or later you will own it, ?

It will be a small lot, but that's all we will need at the end. ?

Now,

Any views/comments?

I hope it's not too much off topic.
Here are some impressions from SA

The first pic from Venezuela.
Second one from BoliviaIMG_20170712_2744.jpgIMG_20170712_48192.jpg

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

after having read some of the comments here I'd like to expand a bit on why I really enjoy my time here in LoS;

I find LoS as a whole quite laidback and quiet, suits me

To a large extent (within reason) you can do what you like / look as you like in LoS, suits me (an old anarchist) well

most things quite affordable - can do/amuse myself easily with stuff here that would be costly back "home"

enjoy the climate and the mild evenings very much

living 5-7 kilometers NW of Bangkok, (soi sleaze on Sukhumvit only 35 minutes/250 baht away by taxi if traffic is OK)

very rural and quiet, almost at the end of a dead end street, old wooden house on stilts by a canal, enjoy it A LOT

no hot/cold water or AC, just fine, no problem really

enjoy quiet evenings sitting in the sala chatting with neighbours - pleasant indeed

(neighbours are all Thai, mostly blue collar people on minimum salary)

enriches my life to learn about their ways and thoughts and problems

enjoy the very quiet mornings, see the light - later the sun coming and listening to birds/animals (and neighbours) waing up, good time for reflection

adapting to some Thai ways myself, am not a slave of farang time and punctuallity anymore, like I used to be,

I like that

focusing on jai yen and leaving jai ron for yearly short visits to Europe, probably good for me

comfortable with going to bed 9pm/10pm and start working 5am/6am

happy

like an old friend of mine used to say when drinking in thr early atmosphere in Madrid;

La vida en Espagne est muy agreable, muy agreable

No hot/cold water or AC?

Too native for most I think

16 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You  can't have it both ways. The  steaks, cheeses and wines are extending our lifespan with respect to stroke and heart attacks. The driving habits are helping us falangs maintain our reflexes and ward off Alzheimer's. I suspect if the Thai authorities fulfilled your professionalism criteria, we would be suffering mass bruxism.

As for the even temperament, I'm reminded of what Sam Snead said about a fellow professional, Clayton Heafner.

" Clayton's the most even-tempered man I've ever seen on a golf course. He's always angry".

Why not? I like to have what I want when I want it and how I want it.

28 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

No hot/cold water or AC?

I was very sceptical when I moved in 4/5 years ago, VERY sceptical. (Used to be a AC heavy)

Hot/cold water never concerned me, but no AC did. Especially since it was May, the hottest period.

I liked the house so I ended up deciding to give it a try, the house is wooden so it doesn't really heat up as such.

It is by a klong/canal, there is almost always air moving along the klong.

Tur

29 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

No hot/cold water or AC?

No hot/cold water or AC?

I was very sceptical when I moved in 4/5 years ago, VERY sceptical. (Used to be a AC heavy)

Hot/cold water never concerned me, but no AC did. Especially since it was May, the hottest period.

I liked the house so I ended up deciding to give it a try, the house is wooden so it doesn't really heat up as such.

Tur

No hot/cold water or AC?

No hot/cold water or AC?

Tur

No hot/cold water or AC?

37 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

No hot/cold water or AC?

Tur

37 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

No hot/cold water or AC?

2 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

No hot/cold water or AC?

Agree.

I've no hot water either (other than in the shower), but no running 'cold' water would be a step too far.

The aircon is appreciated a few times a year :smile:  - and pretty much every Thai appreciates aircon at least every now and again!

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree.

I've no hot water either (other than in the shower), but no running 'cold' water would be a step too far.

The aircon is appreciated a few times a year :smile:  - and pretty much every Thai appreciates aircon at least every now and again!

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree.

hmm,

I gather that I expressed myself poorly,

sure have running water, both here and there and a few other places

but no hot/cold temperature regulation

(no, I don't shower and brush my teeth in the canal as many locals do)

On 7/11/2017 at 0:30 AM, Been there done that said:

Loyal man :smile:

Same here...I only remain in Thailand because I am committed to my SO...she knows this, and appreciates it...but if the relationship were to ever end before I die, I'm out of here the next week...there is an layer of danger, instability, and insecurity that lies just beneath the surface of Thai society that makes me very uneasy whenever I consider its true magnitude and implications.

3 hours ago, hdkane said:

Same here...I only remain in Thailand because I am committed to my SO...she knows this, and appreciates it...but if the relationship were to ever end before I die, I'm out of here the next week...there is an layer of danger, instability, and insecurity that lies just beneath the surface of Thai society that makes me very uneasy whenever I consider its true magnitude and implications.

Hi,

Could you expand on your last sentence, be interested to know your view (s).

47 minutes ago, Been there done that said:
4 hours ago, hdkane said:

there is an layer of danger, instability, and insecurity that lies just beneath the surface of Thai society that makes me very uneasy whenever I consider its true magnitude and implications.

I'll give you my perspective...

Forty years ago Thailand was predominantly rural; the economy was driven by agricultural production. 

Then industrialisation and globalisation took hold. A fair slice of the rural population moved to Bangkok to take relatively higher-paying factory snd service jobs. In many cases, the kids are left in Isaan with the grandparents (or just grandma, if grandpa has already run off). 

These are the Thai migrant workers... more secure than the Burmese migrant workers, but not by much.

This migration has had major implications for the social fabric. The benefits of industrialisation and globalisation helped the upper and middle classes far more than the workers. While the workers may be be better off in terms of pay, their living costs increased substantially.

Thailand is now ranked third in the world in terms of income inequality. How in an age in which Facebook and Instagram immediately illustrate how our peers are living, can this inequality not generate jealousy, insecurity and envy? 

I think Thailand is a powder keg just waiting for a spark... moreover, Prayut and friends know this all too well. Why do you think they are so single-mindedly focused on stifling comment and dissent?

On 11/07/2017 at 8:29 AM, alant said:

Same for me, as a nation I feel Thailand does not want foreigners. 

I don't see it like that at all.

The authorities just want to keep a check on who and where we all are, it can be a pain for us sometimes, but i agree with it - Better than in Europe where there are millions of immigrants running around, raping and killing, and nobody knows how many, or where they all are.  

As for the people, like any country, you have the haters - but i have found most thais are very friendly and welcoming.  Don't know about Patong and Pattaya, but in the real thailand it's very friendly.   Except for when they are behind the wheel, then they become monsters...5555.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:54 AM, Scooby and Puppy said:

I don't see it like that at all.

The authorities just want to keep a check on who and where we all are, it can be a pain for us sometimes, but i agree with it - Better than in Europe where there are millions of immigrants running around, raping and killing, and nobody knows how many, or where they all are.  

As for the people, like any country, you have the haters - but i have found most thais are very friendly and welcoming.  Don't know about Patong and Pattaya, but in the real thailand it's very friendly.   Except for when they are behind the wheel, then they become monsters...5555.

I do not disagree with you with respect to the people being friendly and welcoming but I don't agree about how those in power view foreigners, arrive in country, TM6 says where you are, The same day or within 24 hours TM30 to Say where you are, 90 days report to say where you are. Visa annual extension, say where you are or in the case of being married 1 month extension then 11 months extension. Just the paper used is massive. Run a business, cannot, own land that a house sits on, cannot. Then we read that some have been here for tens of years on overstay? Many other countries seem to welcome immigrants and enable such things as residence and the like.

On 15/07/2017 at 0:20 PM, alant said:

I do not disagree with you with respect to the people being friendly and welcoming but I don't agree about how those in power view foreigners, arrive in country, TM6 says where you are, The same day or within 24 hours TM30 to Say where you are, 90 days report to say where you are. Visa annual extension, say where you are or in the case of being married 1 month extension then 11 months extension. Just the paper used is massive. Run a business, cannot, own land that a house sits on, cannot. Then we read that some have been here for tens of years on overstay? Many other countries seem to welcome immigrants and enable such things as residence and the like.

What else can we do though?  They make the rules, it's their country..so we have to abide by it, or leave.  It is a tad over the top, but where i live they don't want us to do a TM30, I go away a lot, and don't bother doing one anymore because they said they didn't want it.

It doesn't bother me that much to do my extension, or the 90 day report. There is a post office just down my road to send my '90 day' by EMS, and i put 50 baht in the envelope to pay for an EMS return. Because twice before my (90 day) mail didn't arrive back by ordinary mail.

As for the extension, i used to be on a 'marriage' extension, but got so bogged down with papers, i changed to a 'retirement', so much less hassle.  Once a year doing that is no big deal.

It is annoying though that WE bring our money with us, and have to have passports and visas and extensions to stay legally,  but in europe and America everybody seems to just waltz on in illegally with no visas or papers, and then get more in benefits than a pensioner (i'm not one yet) who paid for his/hers all their working lives. Now THAT p*sses me off, and i don't even live there.

1 hour ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

What else can we do though?  They make the rules, it's their country..so we have to abide by it, or leave.  It is a tad over the top, but where i live they don't want us to do a TM30, I go away a lot, and don't bother doing one anymore because they said they didn't want it.

It doesn't bother me that much to do my extension, or the 90 day report. There is a post office just down my road to send my '90 day' by EMS, and i put 50 baht in the envelope to pay for an EMS return. Because twice before my (90 day) mail didn't arrive back by ordinary mail.

As for the extension, i used to be on a 'marriage' extension, but got so bogged down with papers, i changed to a 'retirement', so much less hassle.  Once a year doing that is no big deal.

It is annoying though that WE bring our money with us, and have to have passports and visas and extensions to stay legally,  but in europe and America everybody seems to just waltz on in illegally with no visas or papers, and then get more in benefits than a pensioner (i'm not one yet) who paid for his/hers all their working lives. Now THAT p*sses me off, and i don't even live there.

Yes agree, we are aliens in Thailand and if we wish to stay we abide by the rules. I have no problem with that even if I think it is rather daft for the various rules to exist. I also have to smile about Thailand 4.0, information technology age! Really?

I too am thinking of changing back to retirement visa from marriage visa, such a fag.

Archived