Dog nuisance and dog attacks - what the law says in Bangkok

webfact

Dog nuisance and dog attacks - what the law says in Bangkok

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Sanook ran a story yesterday following a number of cases of dog attacks and neighbors arguing over the animals making a mess and barking at all hours.

They quoted local laws which allow for fines of irresponsible owners.

Sanook said the problem of barking dogs and dogs fouling the streets and footpaths had caused assaults to take place between neighbors and even death on occasion.

There is also the issue of dogs biting after several high profile incidents.

A section of the bylaws in Bangkok from 1992 says that dog owners must control their animals at all times so as not to cause annoyance to others. Continual noise from barking is considered annoyance.

Secondly, dog owners are responsible for the cleanliness of the area where their dogs go. They must clean up after them.

The environment must not be adversely impacted by dogs.

When a dog dies they must be disposed of properly.

The matter related to taking dogs out on leads is less clear. It seems to imply that only fierce breeds of dogs - and Pitbulls and Rottweilers are mentioned specifically - must be kept on leads at all times.

Fierce dogs of this kind must also be muzzled when out.

Leads must be no longer than 50 centimeters in length.

The law seems to imply that more docile breeds do not need to be on leads or muzzled when out with their owners.

Fines in place are limited to 5,000 baht.

A dog owner whose pet bites another person is liable for their medical treatment and a fine.

Reports of infractions of the law can be made to the local authority for action but people should have evidence such as photographs ready, reported Sanook.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-11

39 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

A water pistol filled with ammonia shot in the face of these dogs does wonders

And a heavy fine and maybe a prison term for you does wonders too. ;-)

I'd see how you explain to the police why you're carrying a water gun with ammonia, hurting dogs deliberately.

This is not just a protection like a stick. You do it intentionally for really hurt the dog.

We used ground pepper, bought in 25kgs sacks in Chantaburi and had pepper all around the houses in our soi. 

Worked miracles, no more manure, no wild dog packs roaming in our soi - the dogs got it that our soi is "mad sanook" without harming them. 

It is high time the municipalities do something about those millions of apparently very fertile stray dogs - they rip open everything they can, crap all over the place and are a serious threat to people walking by or using bicycles or motorbikes. 

8 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

What about the dogs that do not belong to anyone? I guess there is no law covering them.

When A dog does something wrong, like biting someone, then it does not belong to anyone.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When A dog does something wrong, like biting someone, then it does not belong to anyone.

Yep.... get bitten and nobody owns it but wing it with a motorbike and supposed owners form a crowd. I'm fortunate in my local area because everyone knows that I will martyr any pooch in the event I feel threatened without so much as a by your leave. 

LAW STATES that no dogs are allowed to roam un attended regardless of breeds or any of the other garbage nation wide. If the owner of the dog is not with the  dog someone else has to be given the right  and responsabilty of the dog. In other words keep it in your house or on a tight leash or get a fine. Were the laws checked or is someone printing rubbish again?

We have 3dogs on several rai of land. The neighbours all have dogs and no yards at all. Their dogs dig up all our trees, pee and poop everywhere spread parvo, scabbies and are tick ridden. There all fed by the monks. Not one of the neighbours has fed there own dogs in the many years ive lived here. They kill each others chickens and cats and they get furious with each other. These people are Mental!

We asked the police about this situation because the dogs are destroying our property and they just sit and bark at us in our own house so my kids dont go out. Law states they must cover damages. Police wont bother even taking a statement though and said the people arent developed enough and will just say its a stray that stayed so not really theirs avoiding reaponsability for damages.

Well der... Its the Thai way.

Maybe if the police did there job things would be fairer for all which inturn would mean better care for the dogs. If irresponsible people cant have them then theres less cancer ridden, teet sagging ground dragging, hairless, rabbie infected, flea ridden mongrols roaming around. Makes sense!

I once asked my wife about what happens if you run over and kill a dog whilst driving. Her response was "If your car is damaged then nobody owns the dog. If your car is not damaged then everybody owns it (and wants to be paid for the loss)". 

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

A water pistol filled with ammonia shot in the face of these dogs does wonders

Ammonia is taking it too far, as point out by another poster. Also an accident waiting to happen if kids are around. A bit of vinegar mixed with water will probably do just fine.

i was bitten by a temple dog, had the rabies series which cost around $300.  went back to the temple and presented the bill to the abbot.  he just laughed,  i told him next time i would shot the dog. i have studied rabies, and it nothing to laugh about. the dogs need to be licensed neutered and vaccinated in CM.  i once saw a temple dog with open sores and brought this to the attention of the monks.  i said that the dog should be taken in for treatment. could not be bothered. shame on them.

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

Yep.... get bitten and nobody owns it but wing it with a motorbike and supposed owners form a crowd. I'm fortunate in my local area because everyone knows that I will martyr any pooch in the event I feel threatened without so much as a by your leave. 

Yawn. Another keyboard warrior.

Will laugh uncontrollably when you get your throat ripped out.

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

Yes but be careful, everybody knows you and what you will do, but if someone else harms a dog, ie poisons it,  certain Thais in your area will be after you, and

I don't mean just one or two.

After seeing all the soi dogs that wander all over the country, I certainly see that the whole country

of Thailand has a huge problem with these stray animals.  I have seen some dead dogs near back roads

and know they won't be picked up any time soon, so I find other routes to avoid the rotting smell.

When I read comments from the dog lovers, who think that the other people who take care of some dogs

because the police will not do their jobs, and these other people should be punished.  I think that the dog lovers

should be rounding up all these strays and take care of them all, or just not worry what other people do to try

control this dog problem.  There are a few stray dogs where I live as well, but at least we can all call the animal

control and the dogs are promply rounded up and taken to the SPCA.

Geezer

this is a fantasy  article! no where in this country have i EVER seen a thai clean up after his dog! AND how would you know whose dog it was anyway? especially in the northeast, the owners let their dogs out at night and when the females are in heat it sounds like a war! any male dog that can is scrogging! a few more months later up pops more soi dogs.no shots, no collars, and no thai responsibility. if it were not for some kind hearted people the soi dogs would starve. and the ones tat keep their dogs behind fences at night can sleep through all the barking, fighting . bottom line most thai's are not responsible enough to have a dog much less take care of one.

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

After seeing all the soi dogs that wander all over the country, I certainly see that the whole country

of Thailand has a huge problem with these stray animals.  I have seen some dead dogs near back roads

and know they won't be picked up any time soon, so I find other routes to avoid the rotting smell.

When I read comments from the dog lovers, who think that the other people who take care of some dogs

because the police will not do their jobs, and these other people should be punished.  I think that the dog lovers

should be rounding up all these strays and take care of them all, or just not worry what other people do to try

control this dog problem.  There are a few stray dogs where I live as well, but at least we can all call the animal

control and the dogs are promply rounded up and taken to the SPCA.

Geezer

and where do you live? AND what is animal control? not being funny, just have never seen any organization like that in thailand.

You are right I do not live in Thailand and actually will not be living there except for

one or two months of holidays in the Winter.  I guess Animal control is something that

happens in Canada, and maybe a bit in the USA as well.  Certainly not in Thailand, or likely

in India either.

Geezer

'

On 7/11/2017 at 8:13 AM, webfact said:

A section of the bylaws in Bangkok from 1992 says that dog owners must control their animals at all times so as not to cause annoyance to others. Continual noise from barking is considered annoyance.

What a laugh, as I am reading this about 12 dogs are barking in neighboring house yards, they go out to work and leave them all day. Mrs complained to next door once about them leaving their dogs over a weekend when they barked all night, their response was 'well all dogs bark' , and they never spoke to us again. Dogs are a major social problem here and like most other problems nothing is ever done about it. People need to take things into their own hands, there is not an alternative.

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

'

Mrs complained to next door once about them leaving their dogs over a weekend when they barked all night, their response was 'well all dogs bark' , and they never spoke to us again.

I had exactly the same answer when I very nicely (and bearing gifts of dog food) dropped into conversation (in a very Thai round about way) that her dogs were barking 'a bit'. 

After 5 more (and less and less polite approaches) she finally just told me 'yes dogs bark' and turned her back on me and went back into the house.

She started with 1 black dog... then her collection grew to about 14 different kinds over about 2 years.  They were seriously neglected and left tied up on rusty sharp metal sheeting with no protection from weather, usually not even any water.  Hairy ones matted and the smell was so bad. 

It felt so bad for me because I actually cared about the dogs, not just annoyed with the noise of screaming, yapping and howling.

Over the past year they have been dying off.  Now she only has a few.  Noise problem gone, but very sad and cruel for the dogs.

I told lots of people about it, even the head man and the tessabaan office.  But nothing got done.  So these laws in the article are totally pointless and just paying lip service.

On 11/07/2017 at 11:23 AM, gandalf12 said:

What about the dogs that do not belong to anyone? I guess there is no law covering them.

They would be the responsibility of government and councils and if they ignore the problems these dogs cause then they should be 100% responsible if one of THEIR dogs attacks

Archived