Gunmen kill eight family members, including three girls in Krabi

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, swanny321 said:

Hate too sound cavalier but stories like this take some of the sparkle away from the 'paradise island' image.

although Ao Luk is on the coast (Ao meaning "bay") it is not anywhere near an island, it is on the main highway about 40 km north from Krabi near the provincial border  with Phang gna-

and although there are many guns in LoS, mass shootings such as this are, as the article says, quite rare

5 hours ago, pon2007 said:

soon everyone will need war weapons at home for protection, in this lawless society

i was far more fearful every single moment of 27 years in Los Angeles than i have ever been here;

usually one will have no trouble here if they treat people correctly, with respect and courtesy

5 hours ago, gbswales said:

arriving at 4 and waiting until 8 when he returned is explainable but if the objective had been to kill everyone why would the gunmen wait until later in the evening. before doing so. Clearly there must have been some discussion or negotiation between then which appears to have gone tragically wrong.  I cannot understand the mentality of anyone who is prepared to kill someone else, no matter what that person has done but to kill young innocent family members is beyond imagination.  The police should be looking for people who were known by the family and could therefore have been identified by them if they had just shot the headman and left.  A tragic situation and the sooner these people are behind bars for life the better.

that is presuming that the assailants weren't actual police, associates thereof, or known by them...

16 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

The 'Wild West' of Southeast Asia. Life is cheap. TIT :sad:

That title probably goes to the Philippines, but yeah Thailand is also right up there also. Thailand feels safe as a  typical tourist or as an expat who keeps themselves to themselves, but if you start actually integrating into society via marriage, business etc. that is when the risk levels rise significantly. 

5 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

DRUGS........what else!!  

actually in my experience here, the one corruption most headmen are NOT involved with is drugs;

that's for the boys in brown and green and their mafia buddies-

now, as for  dodgy land sales and transfers and such? well, as the Brit's say, "Bob's yer Uncle!"

14 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

i was far more fearful every single moment of 27 years in Los Angeles than i have ever been here;

usually one will have no trouble here if they treat people correctly, with respect and courtesy

yea yea yea  people have just DIED enough of your BS already

This is exceptionally rough, even by Thai standards which tend towards the cowboy shoot 'em up style.

That village headman upset the wrong people and being the village head he probably figured he was untouchable. It's too bad his attitude killed his kids.

I'm speculating of course, but I don't think I'm far off the mark. I read it was about a land dispute, but that doesn't seem very likely unless it involved enough land in a prime area to build a super mall.

6 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

According to witness/s the armed men show up at 4 PM, wait until 8 PM then shoots ever everyone at 11PM  and not one person thinks they should call Police even at 4 PM? For 7 hours not one person though it was unusual to have armed men in fatigues and do nothing about it?   Sad testament to how society responds to suspicious activity when they see it.  I'd be suspicious of the witness.

The most plausible reason that no one inside or outside the house called the police for the entire 8 hour ordeal: THE POLICE ARE IN ON IT.  

38 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

The safest I've felt, in 35 yrs going back and forth from the US to Thailand, is ......Burma.  I jest not.  You could walk the streets at 2 am every night for decades, and nothing foul would befall you.  Burma has about 1 criminal act for roughly every 3,000 that take place in Thailand.   

This story haunts my thoughts.  The thugs were there, tormenting the family for EIGHT HOURS, EIGHT BLOODY HOURS !!!!   and not one neighbor lifted a finger to help the family.  In a Thai village, if a girl has a pimple, everybody knows about it.   They know everything about everyone.   Sorry to say this, but Thai people in general and the village neighbors (at the murder vicinity) in particular, are sniveling cowards.  Disgusting. 

7 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Does anyone know of an honest village headman? Hate to say it but sometimes people get sick of the injustices taking place in villages around the country. These idiots only care about themselves. Mostly criminals building egos off tax payers money and other illegal activities. My family knows this pain. I don't want to condone or condemn without all verified facts but hope the government gets tough on corruption or i think we are going to see a steady pattern of the same. Certainly nothing new and it does happen all the time but just not basically whole families being taken out in this manner.

According to my wife and her understanding of the news, it was just the opposite with this headman.  He is said to be an honest man who refused to be a party to corruption of any sort. The assumption is that he refused a bribe in the land deal and revenge was taken on him and his family.  That may not be the case in the end, so we'll just have to see how it all pans out.

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

This story haunts my thoughts.  The thugs were there, tormenting the family for EIGHT HOURS, EIGHT BLOODY HOURS !!!!   and not one neighbor lifted a finger to help the family.  In a Thai village, if a girl has a pimple, everybody knows about it.   They know everything about everyone.   Sorry to say this, but Thai people in general and the village neighbors (at the murder vicinity) in particular, are sniveling cowards.  Disgusting. 

If they knew who the killers where,they would probably have known what they were capable of

Its called self preservation

This is not a normal event for Thailand, well not on this scale anyway 

7 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Does anyone know of an honest village headman? Hate to say it but sometimes people get sick of the injustices taking place in villages around the country. These idiots only care about themselves. Mostly criminals building egos off tax payers money and other illegal activities. My family knows this pain. I don't want to condone or condemn without all verified facts but hope the government gets tough on corruption or i think we are going to see a steady pattern of the same. Certainly nothing new and it does happen all the time but just not basically whole families being taken out in this manner.

I know a few people that should be taken care of in this manner.  Corruption and people that choose to be involved and that don't live up to the normal expectancies of decency and truthfulness and honesty don't deserve to continue to breathe the air we all breathe.  If you live by the sword of corruption than how can you expect anything except to die by the sword.

All that said, we don't know the details and probably never will know.

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Thai philosophy of - "It doesn't involve me, none of my business".  

That philosophy is present in most countries nowadays,not only Thailand.

9 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Another possibility is terrorism. There are lot of believers in terrorism living there.

They never move their tree-wheeler less than 400 baht per a trip, operated in a syndicate.

"........lot of believers in terrorism living there" ,really ?? Please tell us more or maybe you mixing up Krabi with the 3 provinces in the Deep South ?

Tragic, it is terrible to kill children especially so brutally. I suspect the father was warned about something "or we will kill your entire family" and they followed thru

I am heart broken to hear of this

is there any family left for my heart to go out to?

This slaughter of a whole family, was not a regular mass shooting.

It could have been revenge, or a settling of accounts, but it was an end of

a family. RIP to all of them, they did not deserve to die like this.

Geezer

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

This slaughter of a whole family, was not a regular mass shooting.

It could have been revenge, or a settling of accounts, but it was an end of

a family. RIP to all of them, they did not deserve to die like this.

Geezer

this was an execution carried out by the highest order.over 8hrs.and not a bib.in sight.he [headman] must have done something rearly bad to put his whole family at risk.who knew that they all would be home at 4pm.with the headman coming home later.

4hrs.and not a call from him to them. how long ago where they saying there is no mafia on the islands.

this is the action of someone big who everyone knows.

words are not enough to give comfort and sympathy.

RIP.TO YOU ALL. 

Just now, meatboy said:

this was an execution carried out by the highest order.over 8hrs.and not a bib.in sight.he [headman] must have done something rearly bad to put his whole family at risk.who knew that they all would be home at 4pm.with the headman coming home later.

4hrs.and not a call from him to them. how long ago where they saying there is no mafia on the islands.

this is the action of someone big who everyone knows.

words are not enough to give comfort and sympathy.

RIP.TO YOU ALL. 

Why the children? what did they EVER do to these murdering scum?  anything less than hanging these scum would be an injustice. Who could do it?  kill innocent children right there in their home?  and what will happen?  all forgotten soon.

A real tragedy that happened over HOURS, think of the suffering and the torment especially of the kids. There should be NO MERCY if and when they find them ( a BIG if). 

A few miles further south and this could have all been blamed on insurgents.

Begging the question how many of the murders in the far south are really business disputes or personal scores blamed on the insurgency.

13 hours ago, jenifer d said:

actually in my experience here, the one corruption most headmen are NOT involved with is drugs;

that's for the boys in brown and green and their mafia buddies-

now, as for  dodgy land sales and transfers and such? well, as the Brit's say, "Bob's yer Uncle!"

90+% Drugs,drug money.  10% dodgy stuff

Archived