aborted landing at DMK

buick

i flew into DMK on a domestic flight on saturday, july 8 (i don't think i'm allowed to name the airline and it doesn't really matter that much anyway).  we were almost on the runway, i fly in/out of DMK regularly, always have a window seat, and know where the plane is during the landing process.  so the pilot aborts, hits the gas so to speak and we are back up in the air.  i'm always thrilled to have an aborted landing, better safe than sorry !!  but here is the twist, i like to check flightaware.com and see the flight path of my plane.  especially when it is delayed, i like to see where the circling was done as the plane waits to land, etc...  so i went to look at this flight i was on and it was not listed in the database.  it appears they refused to upload the data given the aborted landing issue ('save face' ?).  last year, i had an aborted landing in HK during a tropical storm and it showed up on flightaware.

Glad this was   an aborted landing  and not a crash.        I suspect there are scores of such events that happen daily and end up unnoticed.    Years ago when  my Icelandic Air  flight was landing in Reykjavik I was looking out the window and thought it was a fairly  long decent.    Suddenly when the plane broke through the fog I could see the bushes along the runway and the plane appeared from from being level.    The plane powered up and off we went with an aborted landing in the rear view mirror.

I decided it was time to pull out the emergency booklet in the seat pocket  in front of me and as my seat mate saw what I was doing he did the same in a New York second.

The first time is always for practice and on the second attempt all went swimmingly.

A Go-around as it is more accurately termed is not uncommon especially during the rainy season for obvious reasons.

There is no problem naming the airline or even the flight as it is actually a positive decision by the airlines flight crew. As one poster stated, better to do that than attempt an unstable landing and risk an accident.

On any given day in Thailand there will be a few go-arounds conducted between the airlines given the amount of daily flights. Some airports such as NST are synonymous with go-arounds (FOs are prohibited from landing at NST). Sometimes Capts will even have to do 2 there.

On 11/07/2017 at 3:41 PM, buick said:

it appears they refused to upload the data given the aborted landing issue ('save face' ?).

Thats not how that app works.

Maybe do even some  basic research before coming out with the "saving face" cliche that is wheeled out so often by poster that don't have a clue.

i was on FD3521 (buriram to dmk) on saturday, july 8th.  an airbus A320.  i do see that one other day of the last week is not shown.  as well as monday this week so i guess they have some aircraft that don't have the tracking system.  i've tracked alot of flights over the years and never had one missing.  but it sounds like that is the answer.  thanks for the input.

6 hours ago, psyvolt said:

Thats not how that app works.

Maybe do even some  basic research before coming out with the "saving face" cliche that is wheeled out so often by poster that don't have a clue.

i was raised in an area that is seriously subject to 'cliche' (newport beach, ca, USA) and went to university at USC (university of spoiled children).  i've dealt with it for decades and have no problem with it as it is generally true (as 'save face' is true for most thais, i've been here 10 years so i have more than a clue about it).  as far as research goes,  what you imply is kind of an 'old' process.  these days, you just ask the question on the internet and get the answer.  my experience on TV is only 1.5 years but i've learned alot and the members have vast knowledge.  next time you consider researching something, you might think of using TV as your resource.  i could have asked on flyertalk.com but i would have had to lookup my password.

On 7/11/2017 at 0:57 AM, Lakegeneve said:

A Go-around as it is more accurately termed is not uncommon especially during the rainy season for obvious reasons.

i'm not well versed on the terminology but i'd guess we were less than 30 seconds from hitting the runway before the plane powered up.  i saw an article about an air canada flight today, i think it was at SFO, where they almost landed on a taxiway full of planes, instead of the runway.  so who knows, maybe that is what nearly happened at dmk.  i have no complaints.  the folks in the cockpit got it taken care of.

7 hours ago, buick said:

i was raised in an area that is seriously subject to 'cliche' (newport beach, ca, USA) and went to university at USC (university of spoiled children).  i've dealt with it for decades and have no problem with it as it is generally true (as 'save face' is true for most thais, i've been here 10 years so i have more than a clue about it).  as far as research goes,  what you imply is kind of an 'old' process.  these days, you just ask the question on the internet and get the answer.  my experience on TV is only 1.5 years but i've learned alot and the members have vast knowledge.  next time you consider researching something, you might think of using TV as your resource.  i could have asked on flyertalk.com but i would have had to lookup my password.

I have no idea what your rambling on about here.

It was you who made an incorrect reference about an app and then used a cliche to justify it. No matter how much you try and deflect from your post by you rambling post to me, your still wrong, and a very quick look online would have shown you that.

14 hours ago, buick said:

i'm not well versed on the terminology but i'd guess we were less than 30 seconds from hitting the runway before the plane powered up.  i saw an article about an air canada flight today, i think it was at SFO, where they almost landed on a taxiway full of planes, instead of the runway.  so who knows, maybe that is what nearly happened at dmk.  i have no complaints.  the folks in the cockpit got it taken care of.

I would sincerely hope that that is not what happened with your FD flight!

The Air Canada incident at SFO could have been a huge major disaster with at least 2-3, if not 4-5, A/C  involved! That is a very, very rare mistake for a jet pilot to make!

Novice pilots in smaller planes, eg Cessna, are more likely to make this mistake usually at unknown airfields. Even Hans Solo can stuff up on this front!

17 hours ago, buick said:

This may require a VPN for viewing but it is an eye opener.         Four full wide body planes and an Airbus.      11 seconds from a catastrophic event.   It would have  tragically  eclipsed  Tenerife.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/12/11-seconds-to-impact-expert-calculates-just-how-close-air-canada-plane-at-sfo-was-to-disaster/

I was in one go around, the most terrifying experience in my 30 year travel history sittting in the plane for 15 minutes with no announcement from the pilot, while looking at a white-faced flight attendant in the jumpseat aheadof me. Then they said there was another plane on the runway what was slow to exit. ( I later found out from a US Marine veteran air traffic controller this is the standard excuse, it may or not have been true.)

More likely the pilot flubbed the approach and came in too high to land. If they float too far planes cannot stop, ok, on the remaining runway, they don't have brakes on the landing gear wheels. They stop by reverse thrust and deploying the flaps.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Air America Landings in Vietnam were a Fall from Sky type,,anyone to tell us out there.?.emoji67.png?‍emoji574.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, not Air America but USAF. Going home on leave around 1969 I took a space available flight from Travis to McGuire, on landing the plane "fell out of the sky" resulting in a "pucker factor" of about nine on a scale of one to 10. Later I figured the pilot was practicing for an upcoming tour in VN.

On 7/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, psyvolt said:

I have no idea what your rambling on about here.

It was you who made an incorrect reference about an app and then used a cliche to justify it. No matter how much you try and deflect from your post by you rambling post to me, your still wrong, and a very quick look online would have shown you that.

it took me awhile to get back to this one as there were quite a few exciting threads the last few days (death, deportation, raids, etc..).

i asked a question on a forum and you suggested i do some research.  and in the post attached herein,  you mention it again, why should i go online to figure out the answer to a question when i can simply ask it in the forum ?  you are obviously on a crusade against 'farang thai bashers'  (not sure i would associate my 'save face' comment with all the usual stuff, thais can't drive, thais aren't capable of critical thinking, etc...).   how many of your posts are answering people's questions and being helpful ?  from what i saw over the course of a few days (we were on many of the same threads), you either crusade against a thai basher or tell the OP they are stupid (in one way or another).  

On 7/13/2017 at 0:00 AM, Lakegeneve said:

I would sincerely hope that that is not what happened with your FD flight!

The Air Canada incident at SFO could have been a huge major disaster with at least 2-3, if not 4-5, A/C  involved! That is a very, very rare mistake for a jet pilot to make!

Novice pilots in smaller planes, eg Cessna, are more likely to make this mistake usually at unknown airfields. Even Hans Solo can stuff up on this front!

right, harrison ford did that at my home town airport (SNA orange county) !!!

On 12.7.2017 at 6:46 PM, buick said:

i was on FD3521 (buriram to dmk) on saturday, july 8th.  an airbus A320.  i do see that one other day of the last week is not shown.

Unfortunately the free version of flightradar24 only shows flights back for one week (9 July onward). Too late.

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unfortunately the free version of flightradar24 only shows flights back for one week (9 July onward). Too late.

thanks for providing an alternate source, i will check flightradar24 in the future if i my flight isn't shown on flightaware.com.

3 hours ago, buick said:

it took me awhile to get back to this one as there were quite a few exciting threads the last few days (death, deportation, raids, etc..).

i asked a question on a forum and you suggested i do some research.  and in the post attached herein,  you mention it again, why should i go online to figure out the answer to a question when i can simply ask it in the forum ?  you are obviously on a crusade against 'farang thai bashers'  (not sure i would associate my 'save face' comment with all the usual stuff, thais can't drive, thais aren't capable of critical thinking, etc...).   how many of your posts are answering people's questions and being helpful ?  from what i saw over the course of a few days (we were on many of the same threads), you either crusade against a thai basher or tell the OP they are stupid (in one way or another).  

I'm flattered that you have taken a personal interest in me, enough so to go looking thru my previous posts.

Sooooo, what part of do some research isnt answering your question? Or do you think its cool to be lazy and make others do the work for you? I would have thought that anyone with any logic would have actually taken the I initiative and actually looked it up. Oh but that's right, that might require some effort.

And your right, a lot of my posts are too the racists on these boards that get a very sick jolly out of taking the mickey of Thais. Whats your point? If they can dish it out, so can I.

Not once in the last few days have I called anyone stupid, but hey - if they can't read a post correctly and think that I have - then I'm not going to correct them.

23 hours ago, psyvolt said:

I'm flattered that you have taken a personal interest in me, enough so to go looking thru my previous posts.

Sooooo, what part of do some research isnt answering your question? Or do you think its cool to be lazy and make others do the work for you? I would have thought that anyone with any logic would have actually taken the I initiative and actually looked it up. Oh but that's right, that might require some effort.

And your right, a lot of my posts are too the racists on these boards that get a very sick jolly out of taking the mickey of Thais. Whats your point? If they can dish it out, so can I.

Not once in the last few days have I called anyone stupid, but hey - if they can't read a post correctly and think that I have - then I'm not going to correct them.

i won't carry on any further but i do appreciate your effort to provide a response (and one that is more than a four letter word !!!). 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:09 AM, Jdietz said:

And here you go:

FD-3521 July 8th, Flightradar 24.

Included the KML file. Imported it in Google Earth.

Looks like a standard holding pattern, initiated quite a way from the landing strip at about 3,000 feet, not an aborted landing.

fd3521-jul-8.png

FD3521-e01c10b.kml

fd3521-jul-8-ge.png

Flight_FD3521_(e01c10b).csv

thank you for the info.  i've been through quite a few 'holding pattern' moves, this sure felt different.  i guess this pilot liked to give it a little extra gas on his maneuvers. 

Yeah it looked like he didn't get landing approval when he expected it, so plane would have been in landing configuration already (wheels down, flaps full, speed low). 

So when either no approval received at all, or waved off, he would have had to add some extra power to stay at the same altitude instead of continuing descent, raise wheels and flaps, and turn. Can be a bit bumpy.

Or he just hit the TOGA button and let the plane handle it all.. not very gracefully, but you'll live :)

For some more information about the latter option:

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeoff/Go-around_switch

Go-around

The go-around setting is used during approach. If a pilot finds that he or she is unable to land safely, activating this switch (usually positioned on the back of the throttle levers) will increase the power to go-around thrust. Most importantly, the TO/GA switch modifies the autopilot mode, so it does not follow the ILS glide slope anymore and it overrides any autothrottle mode which would keep the aircraft in landing configuration. On Airbus aircraft it does not disengage the autopilot, but causes it to stop following the Instrument landing system (ILS) and perform go-around manoeuvre automatically. In an emergency situation, using a TO/GA switch is often the quickest way of increasing thrust to abort a landing. On Airbus planes pushing throttles to TO/GA detent does all regarding flight path and speed.

Some aircraft make the TO/GA switch to command the autopilot to fly a missed approach pattern, if the autopilot is programmed to do so.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Air America Landings in Vietnam were a Fall from Sky type,,anyone to tell us out there.?.emoji67.png?‍emoji574.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They're known as a 'tactical penetration descent' I've been in C130s that have used this approach a few times, when the natives were deemed to be somewhat less than friendly! It's a way of staying clear of hostile fire for as long as possible.

Used often in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Scary aren't they. 

On 7/13/2017 at 6:22 PM, Techno Viking said:

they don't have brakes.

On 7/13/2017 at 6:22 PM, Techno Viking said:

Did your US Marine veteran also tell you this  :cheesy::cheesy:

Yes, gave me  laugh too. What do they do when the reach the gate. Throw out the anchor! :cheesy:

Archived