aborted landing at DMK

buick

Go take a flying lesson. I have. Moving the control column on the ground does nothing it is not a car, it moves the ailerons! On the ground jets taxiing turns/braking are on the nosewheel, which is moved with another handle by the captains side. Not used at high speed of takeoff landing due to skidding concerns.

Anyone who has ever been to an airport can tell you the plane is secured at the gate with wheel chocks not wheel brakes. Light aircraft literally are chained down, they can be flipped over and damaged by high winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Go take a flying lesson. I have. Moving the control column on the ground does nothing it is not a car, it moves the ailerons! On the ground jets taxiing turns/braking are on the nosewheel, which is moved with another handle by the captains side. Not used at high speed of takeoff landing due to skidding concerns.

Anyone who has ever been to an airport can tell you the plane is secured at the gate with wheel chocks not wheel brakes. Light aircraft literally are chained down, they can be flipped over and damaged by high winds.

To what, or whom are you referring?

18 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Anyone who has ever been to an airport (That's me) will know that an aircraft stops at the gate using its own brakes, then the chocks are inserted and the brakes released.

Those brakes, by the way, are on the main undercarriage wheels, not on the nose wheel as you suggest. And another by the way, those brakes are applied using toe pads on the rudder pedals, not with a 'side handle'. That only applies to nose wheel steering and it's called the tiller.

If you want anymore lessons gleaned from my 45 years experience in the aviation industry, I'll make a charge. :smile:

I think I'll pass on the flying lessons.

I have seen an American pilot wearing cowboy boots, but never one wearing those ridiculous toe shoes. How do they manipulate these "toe pads"?

A tiller is the handle that moves the rudder on a small sailboat. Reasearch the Southwest airlines accident at Burbank, California. The pilot came in to fast with a tailwind (DANGEROUS). Then landed too far down the runway and did NOT deploy the thrust reversers and flaps in time.

That is why the airplane went through the airport fence and killed a boy in a motorcar, nothing to do with brakes.IMG_7751.JPG.7b213242e56b033ebc79e3dc2c6665e3.JPG

They accident could have been prevented if they HAD done a go-around. The pilot flubbed the approach, it is the safe thing to do but as I said before they don't announce the reason for the go around as pilot error, less embarrassing to say there was another plane in the runway, the standed excuse.

8 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Reasearch the Southwest airlines accident at Burbank, California. The pilot came in to fast with a tailwind (DANGEROUS). Then landed too far down the runway and did not deploy the thrust reversers and flaps in time.

That is why the airplane went through the airport fence and killed a boy in a motorcar, nothing to do with brakes.

Brakes alone wont slow down an airplane.

51 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Brakes alone wont slow down an airplane.

Quite true. They use a combination of brakes, reverse thrust and spoilers on the wings (similar to airbrakes).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived