Waterfalls - Beautiful but dangerous

sambum

"A young man has fractured his skull after plunging 260ft from a waterfall in Thailand.

Luke Scott, 20, also fractured his eye socket, broke two ribs, his nose, knee, hip and ankle as well as fracturing his jaw and losing five teeth when he slipped on a rock and plummeted down the steep Na Muang Waterfall in Ko Samui."

For the second time in as many weeks, someone has been severely injured after falling down a waterfall in Thailand, and a few weeks ago someone was swept to their death by a sudden "flash flood" at one of these beauty spots.

Should the authorities not be warning tourists of the dangers of these hazardous features? I have seen numerous people slip on the rocks, and the locals seem to be quite content to let visitors climb these potential death traps in nothing more than a pair of flip flops. 

It's the old saying. When you're stupid, you have to be tough. It's a wonder there are not more injuries and deaths. It does seem very common for tourists to leave their brain at the airport.

21 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Littering the place with "warning" signs will be as effective as flying red flags on a beach when tidal conditions are dangerous

"stupid" will ignore any and all attempts to protect his/her safety.

I agree with your last comment, but even if a warning sign prevents one serious accident it will be worth the expense of putting one up.

Regarding your first comment, I am sure that flying red flags have saved a few lives in the past, but I am amazed by the fact that some people do not even know what they mean!

From an article re beach safety at Phuket :-

"Some people may never have been to the beach before and some might have been to a beach that didn’t have a flag warning system.
How many beachgoers know them all? Red means beach closed; do not enter water; red and yellow, patrolled area – the safest swimming area; yellow, warning – potentially dangerous conditions; blue, aquatic activity allowed within the boundary; and red and white chequered, evacuate the water." 

"This can be done through an inflight video, pamphlets at the airport, hotels, tourist attractions and huge signs at the beaches."

Granted, the above is re beach safety, but some of the criteria could be applied to waterfalls!

When I was a younger man I climbed many a "dangerous" mountain in Europe. None of them were plastered in Warning signs and still aren't.

The popular beaches  near to where I live have multilingual signs which explain the flag system and the dangers of rips etc. "stupid" ignores those signs  as well as the flags ! 

People should take responsibility for their own safety --.

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

I agree with your last comment, but even if a warning sign prevents one serious accident it will be worth the expense of putting one up.

Regarding your first comment, I am sure that flying red flags have saved a few lives in the past, but I am amazed by the fact that some people do not even know what they mean!

From an article re beach safety at Phuket :-

"Some people may never have been to the beach before and some might have been to a beach that didn’t have a flag warning system.
How many beachgoers know them all? Red means beach closed; do not enter water; red and yellow, patrolled area – the safest swimming area; yellow, warning – potentially dangerous conditions; blue, aquatic activity allowed within the boundary; and red and white chequered, evacuate the water." 

"This can be done through an inflight video, pamphlets at the airport, hotels, tourist attractions and huge signs at the beaches."

Granted, the above is re beach safety, but some of the criteria could be applied to waterfalls!

Most of the waterfalls in the north that we've been to have warning signs posted - but not all of them....

42 minutes ago, perthperson said:

When I was a younger man I climbed many a "dangerous" mountain in Europe. None of them were plastered in Warning signs and still aren't.

The popular beaches  near to where I live have multilingual signs which explain the flag system and the dangers of rips etc. "stupid" ignores those signs  as well as the flags ! 

People should take responsibility for their own safety --.

Presumably there are no warning signs at Mont Blanc? :-

"It has the highest fatality rate of any mountain in Europe. Some estimates put the fatality rate at an average of 100 hikers a year"

So these "hikers" should have taken more responsibility for their own safety, or were they just tragic accidents, like the accident that befell the young man on the waterfall at Koh Samui? 

However, if there are multilingual warning signs on the beaches near to where you live, I agree with you 100% that "stupid" ignores them at their peril. Indeed, I think they should be locked up for the day and fined for their stupidity for putting not just their own lives in danger, but for those who may have to try to rescue them.

However, to get back on topic, we are talking waterfalls here - not mountains in Europe, or beaches that do or do not have warning signs or flags. What l I am suggesting, for instance, is that if there is a path to the top of the waterfall that is known to be dangerous (especially after rain), the tourist should be made aware of it before setting off in their flip flops. And that boulders, when wet, are treacherous. 

Edited by sambum

39 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Sorry but shit happens. All the signs in the world wont stop it happening.

Stupid comment! I wonder how many people would have died from electric shock (for instance) without suitably placed warning signs?

Edited by sambum

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

Stupid comment! I wonder how many people would have died from electric shock (for instance) without suitably placed warning signs?

We are talking about the topic you started waterfalls not electric ******* cables. But as you have decided to bring it in where are the warning signs in Thailand for all the dangling electric cables. Think long and hard before posting a stupid comment statement. Especialy as you have just made one.

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Mont Blanc? Hikers? 

There are no "hikers" climbing Mont Blanc. The mountaineers who do attempt it are VERY aware of and accept the dangers . They also take every precaution to reduce risk. 

"stupid" who messes about on wet rocks, at the top of a waterfall whilst wearing flip-flops will not be deterred by a "nanny" warning sign.