Video: Freak accident as cyclist killed in tour bus accident at Cha-Am beach.

snoop1130

Video: Freak accident as cyclist killed by tour bus at Cha-Am beach

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO2DCx2ik24y4F6B1h.jpg

A 60 year old Thai woman from Bangkok was killed Sunday when she came off her bicycle at Cha-Am beach and was run over at low speed by a tour bus.

The incident was caught clearly on CCTV. The cyclist - named later as Suchanan Santijitrungreuang - collided with a female pedestrian and came off to her right.

She was immediately run over by the bus that appeared to have no chance to brake in time even if the driver had seen what happened.

The lady, an assistant to the director at a school in Jatujak, Bangkok, was rushed to hospital in Petchaburi after the midday accident on Sunday.

She was declared dead later that evening.

The accident happened near the end of Soi Cha-Am Nua 3.

*Warning graphic content*

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1001165

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-7-11

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, JamJar said:

The disgusting cowardice of the woman who caused the accident, by wandering on to the road whilst looking at her phone and then running away when she saw the result of her careless action.

Yes, it was a horrible accident but I think you're jumping to an unfair conclusion that the pedestrian was really at fault. This is a horribly unfriendly nation for pedestrians and people do walk in the roads, sometimes without choice. Yes, her running away was not admirable but that's not the same thing as saying it was her fault. You didn't even consider that maybe the cyclist was going too fast for the road conditions considering she was riding on the edge where it was entirely predictable that there would be pedestrians, even if just stepping out to cross the road.  

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, it was a horrible accident but I think you're jumping to an unfair conclusion that the pedestrian was really at fault. This is a horribly unfriendly nation for pedestrians and people do walk in the roads, sometimes without choice. Yes, her running away was not admirable but that's not the same thing as saying it was her fault. You didn't even consider that maybe the cyclist was going too fast for the road conditions considering she was riding on the edge where it was entirely predictable that there would be pedestrians, even if just stepping out to cross the road.  

Perhaps you missed the bit where I wrote that she wasn't paying attention because she was looking at her phone. Not because she was walking on the road.  It's quite possible that the cyclist had clip in pedals, so couldn't jump off the bike easily.

I think they are both to blame, the pedestrian for not looking at the road and the cyclist who clearly were speeding , this looks to be a busy road so caution always comes first .

I use the bicycle myself almost daily but not on busy roads and always slowly .  You need to pay attention every second on Thai roads.  

Another tragic accident that could have been avoided . RIP: 

Poor woman - a case for riding more slowly with greater concentration in such a congested area, having a mirror fixed to your bike or checking the situation behind you frequently, not using the road as the pavement/sidewalk and the pavement as a commercial area (forcing pedestrians on to the carriageway) and having tighter parking restrictions particularly on such a busy beach road.

To me it's a wonder such accidents don't occur more often - awful news and a warning to us all.

Cha Am beach road is quite narrow....long weekends see literally hundreds of cars wanting to park beachside....with thousands of people wandering the road.

These tourist buses should never be allowed onto this roadway.....they just cause bedlam and all have to park as close as possible to the beach.

However......people riding bicycles along this road during busy times, take their life into their own hands......there have been many incidents of cyclists being knocked over.....but being squashed by a bus is freakish.

RiP the poor woman.

Should be noted that this doesn't go into the traffic fatality stats since the poor victim wasn't declared dead until she was in hospital.  They only count the ones declared at the scene.

Begging the question, how bad are the roads....really?

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

The disgusting cowardice of the woman who caused the accident, by wandering on to the road whilst looking at her phone and then running away when she saw the result of her careless action.

I find it hard to blame the pedestrian.  The cyclist should have clearly seen that lady.  Accidents happen.  Especially here in Thailand.  Proper bike paths should be constructed, not forcing cyclists to be near busy traffic.  It's like this all over Thailand.

26 minutes ago, impulse said:

Should be noted that this doesn't go into the traffic fatality stats since the poor victim wasn't declared dead until she was in hospital.  They only count the ones declared at the scene.

The stats are much worse than reported.  Not only for Thailand, but also other countries like China.

11 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The stats are much worse than reported.  Not only for Thailand, but also other countries like China.

It's a winning formula.  They don't count the fatalities if they aren't declared at the scene.  And the responders to the scene aren't legally entitled (qualified?) to declare somebody dead.  Simple, eh?

Guarantees a prettier than real number.  Some studies comparing hospital numbers vs traffic bureau numbers show it can be off by up to an order of magnitude.  But the study authors were prosecuted...state secrets and defamation, ya know.  And you're right.  Not specific to Thailand.

11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Horrendous accident.

The poor lady must have been in so much pain and distress, from the accident to the time she passed away.

R.I.P.

i would like to think she was in shock and not aware and out cold as soon as the bus hit her.  

nice to see the lady who was walking run away typical Thai behavior . poor lady RIP 

4 hours ago, balo said:

I think they are both to blame, the pedestrian for not looking at the road and the cyclist who clearly were speeding , this looks to be a busy road so caution always comes first .

I use the bicycle myself almost daily but not on busy roads and always slowly .  You need to pay attention every second on Thai roads.  

Another tragic accident that could have been avoided . RIP: 

i look at Thai people on bike and walking around they all look like the lights are on but no ones at home just thinking about som tum:sorry:

Irrespective of whose fault it may or may not have been and personally I feel the lady who the cyclist collided with was herself in shock when she ran after seeing what had happened we don't know for certain she actually left the scene.

It was a horrific accident to try to attach blame is totally inappropriate my heartfelt condolences go out to all concerned and their loved ones.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

24 000 actual vs 10 xxx official.

I reckon the mess of parked vehicles should carry at least part of the blame.

There looks like plenty of room to have a single row of parking bays and a wide footpath and even a bicyle lane. Absolutely no need to force pedestrians to walk on the road.

What a sad accident. The pedestrian should have been watching where she was walking and could have moved over to her right but also there was a lot of room to get between her and the bus for the cyclist. What are the odds of the bus being there at that exact moment?  The habit of walking and playing on the phone is a lifestyle here. Thais spend so much of their lives with their face in the phone.

The pedestrian was walking in a straight line,  she should not have been on her phone or in the road but the accident was not her fault, the cyclist may she RIP seemed to be moving towards the pedestrian I guess to keep clear of the bus passing.
I guess the pedestrian ran away due from the shock it looked like she was going to vomit, I can imagine this will haunt her for the rest of her life.
Why do the comment on this forum often seem bitter and nasty, I try to read the article and skip the comments due to the silliness and bitterness.

8 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

The habit of walking and playing on the phone is a lifestyle here. Thais spend so much of their lives with their face in the phone.

A lot of us have been living abroad long enough that we don't see that it's the same back home.  Except they drive everywhere in cars where you can't see them Facebooking while navigating traffic.  

A feat (?) that makes walking with Facebook look relatively harmless.  Except these black swan occasions.

5 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

To me it's a wonder such accidents don't occur more often - awful news and a warning to us all.

The number of accidents reported by/to the authorities are a tiny fraction of the real number of accidents.
This is reported in many sites in Google.

When I frist came to Thailand, I went with a girlfriend to Chaiyaphum.
One day, a truck ran over a boy who was returning from playing/working at the rice fields.
He was killed on the spot.
The truck driver was a very high ranked figure in the village.
The local police was called (2 agents) with the village headman.
They did a inquiry "on the spot" and decided that the boy died because "the heart stopped beating".
After paying a little sum of money to the parents of the boy, the boy was transferred to the local temple and burned up.
No information about the accident ever leaved the place.

These small streets are never designed to take big buses, a small soi with no footpath, already being shared between pedestrians, bikes, motorbikes and cars, there is no room for big buses in little sois.

Hope you were right Catman,but there was a lot of movement from her and she did get out from under the bus herself.What really gets me in this sort of accident where someone is lying in the road injured is the amount of people that can just stand and look or even take a quick look and walk away.Good on the cyclist who seemed very concerned,moved the bike away from her and got his phone out to call someone. Poor lady RIP

How sickening that we are openly invited to watch a video of another human being maimed. Then, perversly all invited to comment and give our opinions of how, why, or just the usual anti Thai rhetoric that infests thai visa.

What a wonderful Utopia we have created. 

As a cyclists on the roads of Thailand, it is so dangerous out there.

Cyclists are just not given any consideration by other road users.

Some do, most don't.

I think as a cyclist, you really see how bad it is here.

Archived