Video: Freak accident as cyclist killed in tour bus accident at Cha-Am beach.

snoop1130

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I find it hard to blame the pedestrian.  The cyclist should have clearly seen that lady.  Accidents happen.  Especially here in Thailand.  Proper bike paths should be constructed, not forcing cyclists to be near busy traffic.  It's like this all over Thailand.

Extract from video, with slow motion repetition. Is the pedestrian at the last moment deliberately leaning into the cyclist to make her fall?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Extract from video, with slow motion repetition. Is the pedestrian at the last moment deliberately leaning into the cyclist to make her fall?

Wow. 

After viewing that a few times in slow motion, I think that can be taken in different ways.

My guess is that her body was reacting in an unconscious way to the fear of being hit but that there was some kind of disconnect that caused the absolute wrong move as far as avoidance.

But intention is hard to know. 

13 hours ago, JamJar said:

The disgusting cowardice of the woman who caused the accident, by wandering on to the road whilst looking at her phone and then running away when she saw the result of her careless action.

It was my first thought, too, that the pedestrian was at fault, but after watching the video a second time I realized that she wasn't looking at her phone anymore a few seconds before the accident happened. She was walking close to the edge of the road and the cyclist could've easily avoided her and still have enough space to not get run over. I suspect that the cyclist didn't pay attention right before it happened and therefore didn't see the pedestrian. 

Regarding her running off, ever heard of the fight or flight instinct? That's exactly what this was. Sad but true. Also, seeing someone being run over by a bus is something that most people never want to see in their lives - ever! It must have been a terrible shock!  So, I get it, but that by no means justifies her action. 

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. 

After viewing that a few times in slow motion, I think that can be taken in different ways.

My guess is that her body was reacting in an unconscious way to the fear of being hit but that there was some kind of disconnect that caused the absolute wrong move as far as avoidance.

But intention is hard to know. 

I see the pedestrian looking straight ahead and she must have been aware of the approaching cyclist for several seconds, yet she made no move to step closer to the kerb.

Also the cyclist must have seen the pedestrian from a distance for three or four seconds and, probably alongside of the bus all that time, aimed at passing midway in the narrow space between the pedestrian and the bus with about ten inches clearance on both sides.

39 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

A bit cowardly of fatty to run away like that, but she wouldn't have got very far considering the unfit state she's in.

Nevertheless, the cyclist should also have paid more attention, instead of riding straight into her.

The video does not show enough of the cyclist before the collision, but is she really driving straight at the pedestrian? Yes, she is driving straight, parallel to and a short distance from the bus on her right, but is she aiming to drive into the cyclist?

Steering the bicycle still closer to the bus would have been dangerous, wouldn't it?

Well, only "God" and perhaps the pedestrian girl knows about her intention. I don't think that fat shaming makes any sense in this thread. Perhaps shame the victim for being older? Or the bus driver for having a boring job? Come on now, folks. 

I don't see any strong proof of malicious intention in the video. 

Look, the pedestrian girl evidenced by her fleeing the scene isn't going to be up for any Heroine of the Year awards, but it doesn't follow that she had intentions to push the cyclist off her bike, and certainly not get her killed.

15 hours ago, JamJar said:

The disgusting cowardice of the woman who caused the accident, by wandering on to the road whilst looking at her phone and then running away when she saw the result of her careless action.

you should be a copperr .WELL SPOTTED. When your numbers up it's up.

I also wouldn't blame the pedestrian. Because this is Thailand, they  go when they want, travel as they wish. It's in their blood, and the deceased was supposed to understand it. It was just an accident. A second earlier, later, and nothing would have happened. RIP

9 hours ago, catman20 said:

i look at Thai people on bike and walking around they all look like the lights are on but no ones at home just thinking about som tum:sorry:

Just as I walk around and see white people  that are brain dead who are thinking about jerry springer and a burger

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Pulling her arm away actually causes her shoulder to lean into the cyclist effecting the fatal blow. I'm sure she wouldn't have offered such a minimal attempt of avoidance if it was a motorcycle rather than a bicycle riding towards her 

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 11.45.42.jpg

Let's look at the critical scene more slowly, from the moment the cyclist's head enters the frame, and bear in mind that the cyclist's primary attention needs to be focused on the bus on her right to keep a safe distance from it.

Yes it is sickening - but it is life and you can't ignore it. Videos such as this act as a graphic but salutary warning of what can happen on the roads here - if someone (tourist, expat or Thai) takes note of how dangerous it is when alongside a heavy vehicle and avoids/minimises it, or takes extra care, maybe, just maybe, another accident can be avoided - in which case this video is worthwhile.

I saw a similar accident close up once and it stays with me to this day - whenever a heavy vehicle is alongside me I am ultra careful, knowing what can happen, by being thrown under the wheels.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, only "God" and perhaps the pedestrian girl knows about her intention. I don't think that fat shaming makes any sense in this thread. Perhaps shame the victim for being older? Or the bus driver for having a boring job? Come on now, folks. 

I don't see any strong proof of malicious intention in the video. 

Look, the pedestrian girl evidenced by her fleeing the scene isn't going to be up for any Heroine of the Year awards, but it doesn't follow that she had intentions to push the cyclist off her bike, and certainly not get her killed.

Take a look at Maestro's post #74 in slow motion, Ever play any contact sports? That's known as a shoulder block. She knew she was heavier than approching rider and was not going to give way so lowered her shoulder to take the impact. I am sure that it wan't her intent to cause the rider's death but she was not about to move out of the way . Seen to many person's not just in Thailand who can't stay off the stupid cell phones walk into trafic (hit by bikes/cars busses) walk into poles and potholes on street. There are a whole bunch of vids on YT about texting a walking accidents

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes running away was not admirable but in the context of being a Good Samaritan (in some countries there are laws obligating that) and offering help, that doesn't apply in this case. There were many people about and someone on the scene was obviously going to call for an ambulance right away. It didn't need to be that pedestrian. 

As far as any legal culpability for the pedestrian. Highly doubtful in Thailand. Possibly so for a similar case in some other countries. 

Still mate where is the compassion from that pedestrian could have been her daughter or even her friend could have been anyone that she might have known she should be ashamed of herself when she sees this footage is absolutely disgusting no excuses whatsoever she did a runner she looked back and then she took off didn't want to help regardless she caused the accident.

Still mate where is the compassion from that pedestrian could have been her daughter or even her friend could have been anyone that she might have known she should be ashamed of herself when she sees this footage is absolutely disgusting no excuses whatsoever she did a runner she looked back and then she took off didn't want to help regardless she caused the accident.

Yes she's likely not a great person but it doesn't follow that she is a killer either.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Yes she's likely not a great person but it doesn't follow that she is a killer either.

No she is not a killer mate.

But her action caused someone to be killed and her lack of compassion was despicable that's what's even more disturbing.

No she is not a killer mate.
But her action caused someone to be killed and her lack of compassion was despicable that's what's even more disturbing.

I'm not there with being convinced that she's definitely culpable. Maybe. Above my pay grade to make that judgment.

When you see it in slow motion it does not look good for the pedestrian imo.

She can clearly see the bus which the cyclist may not have seen in her mirror.

When I put myself in her position I would not have dropped my shoulder, I would have walked to the right or even turn sideways to face the bus..

Maybe what she did was unintentional but it looks so bad.

Be very interesting to get the final take on the accident from authorities but I guess that's not going to happen.

On 12/07/2017 at 1:28 AM, JamJar said:

I think the cyclist had plenty of chance to see the woman and it appeared that the cyclist hit the pedestrian rather than the other way around..... There was plenty of room but looks like she also wasn't paying attention.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:12 AM, balo said:

I think they are both to blame, the pedestrian for not looking at the road and the cyclist who clearly were speeding , this looks to be a busy road so caution always comes first .

I use the bicycle myself almost daily but not on busy roads and always slowly .  You need to pay attention every second on Thai roads.  

Another tragic accident that could have been avoided . RIP: 

If the cyclist was SPEEDING then so was every other vehicle on the road at that time.

1 hour ago, Deknoi2 said:

I'm sorry, but I have to ask this question.  Why would a 60 year old Thai woman be riding that kind of bicycle?

I am a 50 year old man, cyclist, have cycled Bangkok to Phuket but now restrict my rides to the airport circuit. Cycling is so popular they are widening this circuit to get more people on safely. 

There is a fantastic mix of people cycling there from kids to pensioners and a fantastic range of bike . I see nothing wrong with a 60 year old Thai woman on such a bike. 

On 12/07/2017 at 1:38 AM, Jingthing said:

Yes, it was a horrible accident but I think you're jumping to an unfair conclusion that the pedestrian was really at fault. This is a horribly unfriendly nation for pedestrians and people do walk in the roads, sometimes without choice. Yes, her running away was not admirable but that's not the same thing as saying it was her fault. You didn't even consider that maybe the cyclist was going too fast for the road conditions considering she was riding on the edge where it was entirely predictable that there would be pedestrians, even if just stepping out to cross the road.  

The pedestrian was at fault. The roads are for wheeled traffic and she walked out onto it without looking at whether or not the conditions where safe enough for her.

Archived