Video: Freak accident as cyclist killed in tour bus accident at Cha-Am beach.

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

The pedestrian was at fault. The roads are for wheeled traffic and she walked out onto it without looking at whether or not the conditions where safe enough for her.

I'm not buying that. Thailand doesn't have normal sidewalks. Pedestrians are often treated as if they don't exist. Motorcycles often using sidewalks as roads without any legal consequence. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not buying that. Thailand doesn't have normal sidewalks. Pedestrians are often treated as if they don't exist. Motorcycles often using sidewalks as roads without any legal consequence. 

Yes, you are right in quoting things in general, I am just on about that one particular incident.  She walked out looking at something I presume a phone without looking out for her own safety let alone the hapless cyclist.

45 minutes ago, sgracer said:

the pedestrian was visible for quite some time.

the cyclist could've slowed down or stopped instead of barging her.

too often I see these arrogant cyclists think everyone should get out of their way

I think it's clear she thought she could avoid the pedestrian. Something went very, very wrong. It's called an accident. 

On 7/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, JamJar said:

The disgusting cowardice of the woman who caused the accident, by wandering on to the road whilst looking at her phone and then running away when she saw the result of her careless action.

yep piece of crap was not paying attention. Was not against the parked cars.  But she was more or less visible and the cyclist should have been more cautious passing the bus at that point in time. But nobody gives way. 

I had a rethink about the possible "guilt" of the pedestrian girl in causing the accident, though of course anything she did was not to intentionally get the rider killed.

Remembering that slow motion video shown here and how it kind of appeared that the pedestrian made a bit of an aggressive pushing move when I had a slightly similar personal incident the other night.

I was in a very narrow soi in Pattaya walking along (no sidewalk at all) trying to negotiate the street vendors, heavy traffic of different size vehicles, motorbikes, pedestrians, etc. There was only a very narrow amount of space to walk down the soi. 

So then I encountered a group of tourists that just stopped blocking any chance of moving forward short of walking into the road and getting hit by a vehicle. So I stood there for a few moments giving them a chance to realize what piggish a-holes they were being by not scooting in to give way, but then just felt, <deleted>> it, this isn't OK, and just PUSHED my way through, saying excuse me in an ambiguous tone of voice. The push was not towards the traffic, but then I had a few moments to think about what I was about to do. 

Not the same thing of course, but what I'm getting at here is that the pedestrian girl probably felt she had a right to be in that space and that the biker was invading her space and right of passage. So I'm thinking maybe without thinking about it at all (automatic response) she registered a little "push back" at the biker ... with of course the tragic results.

Just a theory. We'll never know.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:51 PM, JamJar said:

Perhaps you missed the bit where I wrote that she wasn't paying attention because she was looking at her phone. Not because she was walking on the road.  It's quite possible that the cyclist had clip in pedals, so couldn't jump off the bike easily.

absolutely stupid to be clipped in when on a busy road. 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I had a rethink about the possible "guilt" of the pedestrian girl in causing the accident, though of course anything she did was not to intentionally get the rider killed.

Remembering that slow motion video shown here and how it kind of appeared that the pedestrian made a bit of an aggressive pushing move when I had a slightly similar personal incident the other night.

I was in a very narrow soi in Pattaya walking along (no sidewalk at all) trying to negotiate the street vendors, heavy traffic of different size vehicles, motorbikes, pedestrians, etc. There was only a very narrow amount of space to walk down the soi. 

So then I encountered a group of tourists that just stopped blocking any chance of moving forward short of walking into the road and getting hit by a vehicle. So I stood there for a few moments giving them a chance to realize what piggish a-holes they were being by not scooting in to give way, but then just felt, <deleted>> it, this isn't OK, and just PUSHED my way through, saying excuse me in an ambiguous tone of voice. The push was not towards the traffic, but then I had a few moments to think about what I was about to do. 

Not the same thing of course, but what I'm getting at here is that the pedestrian girl probably felt she had a right to be in that space and that the biker was invading her space and right of passage. So I'm thinking maybe without thinking about it at all (automatic response) she registered a little "push back" at the biker ... with of course the tragic results.

Just a theory. We'll never know.

yeah, the pedestrian kind of lowered her shoulder into the cyclist. 

On 7/12/2017 at 6:07 PM, foxboy said:

Pulling her arm away actually causes her shoulder to lean into the cyclist effecting the fatal blow. I'm sure she wouldn't have offered such a minimal attempt of avoidance if it was a motorcycle rather than a bicycle riding towards her 

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 11.45.42.jpg

Actually that's the exact movement I make when walking down the narrow Soi Buakhao in Pattaya and am forced to walk in the road towards oncoming motorcycles.  If there is no room to dodge off the road as they approach I move my midriff away from the oncoming bike to avoid an inevitable contact with it's handlebars, just as the pedestrian did in this case.  Moving the middle of your body away from the anticipated point of contact causes the body shape seen in the video.

3 hours ago, gmac said:

Actually that's the exact movement I make when walking down the narrow Soi Buakhao in Pattaya and am forced to walk in the road towards oncoming motorcycles.  If there is no room to dodge off the road as they approach I move my midriff away from the oncoming bike to avoid an inevitable contact with it's handlebars, just as the pedestrian did in this case.  Moving the middle of your body away from the anticipated point of contact causes the body shape seen in the video.

We all do that move on Soi Buakhao.. but that involves moving your midriff away, which means the arm and shoulder follow. Her midriff doesn't move, only her arm, which actually pushes her shoulder out and into the cyclist. Try it in a mirror and you'll see what I mean. 

On 7/12/2017 at 11:38 PM, Jingthing said:

I'm not there with being convinced that she's definitely culpable. Maybe. Above my pay grade to make that judgment.

Then why did she look back and then run away her action tells a thousand stories my good man.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Poor optics but not proof of anything.

I see, the girl walks out on the road bumps a cyclist while she is on her phone the cyclist goes underneath the bus the girl turns around looks at the cyclist being under the bus then freaks out and takes off that has all the hallmarks of guilt need to say no more. If that accident happened in a civilized nation that girl would be done for manslaughter no questions asked.

So tell me this why did she run away.

7 minutes ago, Eli1 said:

I see, the girl walks out on the road bumps a cyclist while she is on her phone the cyclist goes underneath the bus the girl turns around looks at the cyclist being under the bus then freaks out and takes off that has all the hallmarks of guilt need to say no more. If that accident happened in a civilized nation that girl would be done for manslaughter no questions asked.

So tell me this why did she run away.

Not my place to tell you. 

20 hours ago, Eli1 said:

So tell me this why did she run away

She was in shock , thats easy to understand. She tried to move her arm away in the last second,.

Don't blame this accident on the pedestrian alone, they both could have done things differently.   As a cyclist I know I would have paid attention on such a narrow and busy road and slowed down. I mean really slow down . 

2 hours ago, balo said:

She was in shock , thats easy to understand. She tried to move her arm away in the last second,.

Don't blame this accident on the pedestrian alone, they both could have done things differently.   As a cyclist I know I would have paid attention on such a narrow and busy road and slowed down. I mean really slow down . 

Mate you can pretend you're a cyclist and you sympathize with the cyclist but you're not really. if you're a cyclist you know you can't go any slower then what that cyclist was going as slow as she could that pedestrian just came out like an idiot thinking the whole world revolves around her we need to stop making excuses for these people this girl should have stopped and helped she was guilty that's why she took off.

14 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN!!

The lady walking saw the cyclist charging towards her and tried to move her arm out of the way at the last moment. Sorry but I'm putting this on the cyclist who appears to have lost control at that moment. 

I'm not sure what video you're looking at but the way I'm  perceiving it the idiot pedestrian on the phone was the one that came out onto a ROAD without looking then she realised what she did look back and took off like the guilty coward she was.

The road is for vehicles, motorbikes, cyclists, etc. As a pedestrian walking in the 'road' (which you do need to do in Thailand often) she should have been more vigilant with regard to spatial awareness. Her meagre, last second arm sway was an act of defiance, like as if she had every right to be there, if not more than, at least as much as the cyclist.

It was undoubtedly a tragic accident, but brought about by an act of belligerence rather than courtesy. I have every sympathy for the cyclist and none for the pedestrian

On 7/19/2017 at 5:39 AM, foxboy said:

The road is for vehicles, motorbikes, cyclists, etc. As a pedestrian walking in the 'road' (which you do need to do in Thailand often) she should have been more vigilant with regard to spatial awareness. Her meagre, last second arm sway was an act of defiance, like as if she had every right to be there, if not more than, at least as much as the cyclist.

It was undoubtedly a tragic accident, but brought about by an act of belligerence rather than courtesy. I have every sympathy for the cyclist and none for the pedestrian

Highly agree with you mate on the money without a doubt that pedestrian was belligerent to the max... Did you see how she looked back and took off that made me so angry knowing that there are people out there that would leave you for dead, like her.

Nobody appears to have noticed that the bike rider has a companion rider (who turns around and comes back), the companion rider goes past the pedestrian at about 20 secs, the lady bike rider is chasing/following the companion and possibly trying to take the same path as the companion. The pedestrian does not move her shoulder towards the bike rider , she moves her hip away from the bike. At a certain freeze frame it appears the pedestrian has put her shoulder out , she hasnt.

The victim and the companion (male) have matching gear on , so there is no doubt they are together. The victim is definitely trying to follow and "keep up" with the male companion.

I would guess that the victim has just ducked out from behind the bus, chasing her companion.

There is no footpath and all through the clip many pedestrians are seen walking on the same road, there is enough space for the pedestrians, bikes and cars until the bus comes along. At this point the bike rider is going to fast into a small part of the road where pedestrians are walking.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:10 AM, Peterw42 said:

There is no footpath and all through the clip many pedestrians are seen walking on the same road, there is enough space for the pedestrians, bikes and cars until the bus comes along. At this point the bike rider is going to fast into a small part of the road where pedestrians are walking.

I agree, it is easy to blame it all on the pedestrian , but in this case the bike rider were not adjusting to the traffic pattern .

Also she should be aware of the bus , I have a mirror on my bicycle and always look for trucks and buses on busy roads and slow down. 

5 hours ago, balo said:

I agree, it is easy to blame it all on the pedestrian , but in this case the bike rider were not adjusting to the traffic pattern .

Also she should be aware of the bus , I have a mirror on my bicycle and always look for trucks and buses on busy roads and slow down. 

Adjusting to what traffic)? A pedestrian is not traffic especially one that just comes out on to a road with out looking all she was doing is looking at her phone without any conscience whatsoever, that bicycle rider was not expecting that at and she was in her right to be cycling on that road and she wasn't speeding at all, that pedestrian just came straight out sorry guys. 

That pedestrian should be charged for manslaughter... And tell me this why did she take of like the guilty person she was... Mmmmmm. Sorry guys you're not convincing me at all that video tells the story.

On 7/21/2017 at 2:10 PM, Peterw42 said:

Nobody appears to have noticed that the bike rider has a companion rider (who turns around and comes back), the companion rider goes past the pedestrian at about 20 secs, the lady bike rider is chasing/following the companion and possibly trying to take the same path as the companion. The pedestrian does not move her shoulder towards the bike rider , she moves her hip away from the bike. At a certain freeze frame it appears the pedestrian has put her shoulder out , she hasnt.

The victim and the companion (male) have matching gear on , so there is no doubt they are together. The victim is definitely trying to follow and "keep up" with the male companion.

I would guess that the victim has just ducked out from behind the bus, chasing her companion.

We all noticed the companion of the bike rider mate she was the only one that's helping how could we not have noticed that!!

We are all taking different sides as to whether the pedestrian moved/didn't move, away/towards the cyclist.. but that is irrelevant. She knocked her off her bike, we cannot dispute that. 

If the cyclist was riding on the pavement she would owe a duty of care to avoid pedestrians. A pedestrian walking in the road owes a duty of care to avoid being hit by vehicles, including cyclists. If she wandered into the path of a car and it had no time or space to avoid her, is it the driver's fault if he hits her??? Hell no!! 

The negligence of the pedestrian is to blame here, she should have had her eyes open and her wits about her. I only wish the lady had been riding a Sam-lor rather than a bicycle, to produce a very different outcome! 

Pedestrians fault. Basic road crossing knowledge.

Stop, look left and right and cross. Not look at your phone and walk in the street. Similar to the child not too long ago. He came out into the road from behind a truck and got hit.

Tragic accidents that could be prevented by basic education that most Westerners learnt at pre school.

1 hour ago, foxboy said:

We are all taking different sides as to whether the pedestrian moved/didn't move, away/towards the cyclist.. but that is irrelevant. She knocked her off her bike, we cannot dispute that. 

If the cyclist was riding on the pavement she would owe a duty of care to avoid pedestrians. A pedestrian walking in the road owes a duty of care to avoid being hit by vehicles, including cyclists. If she wandered into the path of a car and it had no time or space to avoid her, is it the driver's fault if he hits her??? Hell no!! 

The negligence of the pedestrian is to blame here, she should have had her eyes open and her wits about her. I only wish the lady had been riding a Sam-lor rather than a bicycle, to produce a very different outcome! 

Yes, I would agree with what you say, but in this instance there is no footpath its a shared space, to a certain extent the cyclist is riding on the pavement and the pedestrian is on the road, in a shared space they both have a duty of care to avoid each other, appropriate speed etc.

The bike hits the pedestrian, not the other way round.

Archived