Red swollen ankle from bite?

Yasmind

First time in Thailand and I've got a multiple on bites on the back of my right ankle which I didn't feel any pain when these bites happened? I was round phi phi islands yesterday which is when I think I got it. Ankle is pretty swollen at the back and hurts to touch and so itchy ? I do get quite a few mozzie bites usually but this does not look like mosquitos. 

IMG_6245.JPG

IMG_6247.JPG

Judging from your pics that does look like a mossie bite.

You should mark the perimeter of that swelling with a ballpoint pen--- If the redness begins to extend beyond the pen line then seek medical assistance. 

In the meantime you could try an antihistamine tablets such as Loratadine or similar-- ask a Pharmacy near to where you stay. 

Cold will also help - wrap a bottle of water from the fridge in a towel and apply for 10 minutes. 

32 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Judging from your pics that does look like a mossie bite.

You should mark the perimeter of that swelling with a ballpoint pen--- If the redness begins to extend beyond the pen line then seek medical assistance. 

In the meantime you could try an antihistamine tablets such as Loratadine or similar-- ask a Pharmacy near to where you stay. 

Cold will also help - wrap a bottle of water from the fridge in a towel and apply for 10 minutes. 

Really? Worse mossie bite I've ever had whilst travelling ? I got recommended some cream for inflammatory and allergic skin from the pharmacy today which I got to help with itching the lady said. Will try and get some antihistamines also, Thankyou! 

1 minute ago, Yasmind said:

Really? Worse mossie bite I've ever had whilst travelling ? I got recommended some cream for inflammatory and allergic skin from the pharmacy today which I got to help with itching the lady said. Will try and get some antihistamines also, Thankyou! 

If  you think it is something other than a response to a bite you should seek a medical opinion.

I think it's sandflies, when I get bitten here in Rayong they can look like skin cancer for a few days. When I get bitten by a mosquito I start itching immediately and usually kill the the mozzie while it's feeding on me but I don't feel sandflies and the reaction is awful and if you sctratch the bite you can suffer for a couple of months till it finally heals. They're really small and look a bit like midges in the UK.

Were the bites in the daytime?

Sandfly, mosquito or other critter doesn't matter. What is important is whether just an allergic/inflammatory response or a tissue infection (the one can sometimes turn into the other.)

As long as the size of the redness gradually decreases youare OK. If it persists or spreads see doctor at once.

Yes it was in day so sandflies could make sense but either way it's a bad reaction. So it's not reduced in size and redness has got worse and it hurts to walk now sometimes due to the size of it on my ankle. I rung the doctor last night and will be visiting him today but I've been throwing up all night after the phone call so the bite could be making me ill (hopefully not) or I've eaten something dodgy. We will see, thanks for advice! 

2 hours ago, Yasmind said:

Yes it was in day so sandflies could make sense but either way it's a bad reaction. So it's not reduced in size and redness has got worse and it hurts to walk now sometimes due to the size of it on my ankle. I rung the doctor last night and will be visiting him today but I've been throwing up all night after the phone call so the bite could be making me ill (hopefully not) or I've eaten something dodgy. We will see, thanks for advice! 

Daytime mossies can cause dengue fever. Check out the symptoms on line to see if you need to be concerned about that.

There is an incubation period, even if bitten by a dengue carrying mosquito that does not explain what is happening now.

See doctor ASAP since the redness has worsened, may be cellulitis (tissue infection).

BTW spider bite also a possibility, often the bite itself goes unnoticed. I've gotten nasty inflammations from spider bites here several times.

11 hours ago, Yasmind said:

Sorry to learn this. 

If possible you should visit an Emergency Room at a largish hospital rather than a clinic.

12 hours ago, Yasmind said:

I would take Sheryl's advice. Another possibility is ants, walking the dogs on the beach at dusk last night and I found a few small black ants chewing on my foot and those bites swole up although today there is just red marks and no itching.

Thanks for the advice guys. Visited the doctor that the hotel recommended and the stomach pains and sickness is gastritis and the bite is just had a bad reaction and isn't to do with the sickness luckily. He did say I left it too long to see him with the bite which I found odd? But yeh got antibiotics and cream, feel bit weak still

but thanks for the advice :)

2 hours ago, Yasmind said:

Thanks for the advice guys. Visited the doctor that the hotel recommended and the stomach pains and sickness is gastritis and the bite is just had a bad reaction and isn't to do with the sickness luckily. He did say I left it too long to see him with the bite which I found odd? But yeh got antibiotics and cream, feel bit weak still

but thanks for the advice :)

OK glad everything is ok, welcome to the sub tropics ............

What he meant was that the "reaction" is an infection of the tissues and it is indeed very unwise to delay on that.

Do yourself a favor and circle the borders of the red area with a pen and make sure it starts to go down now that you are on antibiotics. If it does not, go back to the doctor as another antibiotic may be indicated. If it should get larger, go at once to the emergency room of a hospital.

Some good advice here as is generally the case , I very much like the marking of the area of infection

I can be hyper-reactive to bights and carry steroids and antihistamines, ( even keep some in the car)

One of the key things is trying to avoid being bitten and I carry OFF in the car and keep it at home, I use it every night before going out

Two many bee stings at one time and I am a hospital case and it can turn into ananapolictic  shock, and need adrenaline, and my wife knows to get me there quick, (so I have to be nice to her or she might go slowly)

Many of the smaller clinics and hospitals here are well versed on the likes of snake  and other bites

In any case get professional help before it spreads too far, you do not want your leg cut off, an extreme yes but not impossible if left untreated

I hope it clears up soon, Good Luck

Archived