Entry denied Bangkok Airport

I'm in the Deportation room and wondering how and where to appeal against my deportation. My entry was denied at Suvarnabhumi Airport because of to many Tourist Visas in the past. I had all the necessary paper with me. Onward flight back to Europe, Tourist Visa, booking confirmations and 25000 baht cash. 

How long could the appeal process take and are there some people did it before?

Or are there any other options? Call my embassy? If I sign the deportation paper, will I be able to entry in the future?

I just saw the stamp on my passport, it says entry refused because of Section 12 (3).

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You file an appeal after paying 1900  baht for it and they have 7 days to respond to it. You apply using a TM11 form. Download here: https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1486548054958.pdf

From section 12 of the immigration act.

3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment by
using physical without skills training or to work in violation of the Ministerial Regulations.

You will have to prove you have no intention of working here nor the need to. Proof of a income or financial proof from outside the country would be needed.

1 minute ago, Kohphanganlover said:

@Ubonjoe Does it make sense to appeal if I don't have a monthly income. I traveling more than 1,5 years in Asia with my savings. 

If you can demonstrate - with bank statements or a Thai bank book that you are in receipt of a regular  adequate "income"  of say 65,000 Bht/month from overseas it matters not where that originates -------------

Whether to appeal or not is a personal decision. Remember that you are likely to remain in detention whilst any appeal is considered.

11 minutes ago, Kohphanganlover said:

@Ubonjoe Does it make sense to appeal if I don't have a monthly income. I traveling more than 1,5 years in Asia with my savings. 

Savings would be good enough to appeal. You would need bank statements showing transfers to here or ATM withdrawals.

Paragraph 3 is a catchall they use when they cannot come up with a better reason for denial of entry.

Even showing you have spent time outside the should be enough to overcome the denial. You having a ticket out of the country to Europe should be enough to prove you are not working here.

I think if more people were to appeal the denials given on baseless grounds it would help prevent such abuse.

6 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Was there a 60 day tourist visa in your passport or were you asking for a 30 day visa exempt stamp from them?

It seems he had one. From the OP.

1 hour ago, Kohphanganlover said:

I had all the necessary paper with me. Onward flight back to Europe, Tourist Visa, booking confirmations and 25000 baht cash. 

Isn't it there had been comments elsewhere that up to now no one with a SETV and money in hand + ticket etc had been refused entry? Maybe the "now" has arrived.

There are 1000s of people arrive at suwannapum every day. Surely lots of these ppl have SETVs, cash plus onward ticket and have spent time in the country before. But yet it seems like a little game of "just pick out a few people" each day to keep the deportation room occupied to whatever level. I heard they charge people 700 baht per day spent in there. SMH

8 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Isn't it there had been comments elsewhere that up to now no one with a SETV and money in hand + ticket etc had been refused entry? Maybe the "now" has arrived.

There are 1000s of people arrive at suwannapum every day. Surely lots of these ppl have SETVs, cash plus onward ticket and have spent time in the country before. But yet it seems like a little game of "just pick out a few people" each day to keep the deportation room occupied to whatever level. I heard they charge people 700 baht per day spent in there. SMH

How much longer did you expect before Immigration finally started the clampdown on those living here more or less continuously on Tourist Visas? Do you think they don't know every scam people stupidly like to put on forums and Facebook because they like to look good regarding the swapping of passports, fake hotel and airline bookings etc?
You wouldn't get way with it in most country's. I've no idea why people are surprised it's going to be stopped here.

13 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Yes, "now" has apparently arrived.  This would be the first confirmed case of someone with a Tourist Visa + 20K+ Baht being denied entry. 

He even had an outgoing ticket, which is not necessary if you enter with a Visa - still not good enough. 

As I have been saying for a long time, Airport Immigration is a game of roulette for those with a frequent and/or longer-stay history in Thailand.  The only question is when/if this will start happening at land-borders - but at least you aren't stuck in detention, if denied there.

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

... every scam people stupidly like to put on forums and Facebook because they like to look good regarding the swapping of passports, fake hotel and airline bookings etc?

Re: New passport - as the Thai Consulate personnel will tell you to do.
Re: Hotel and Airline bookings - he had a legit airline-booking, it would seem.  It made no difference.  I am not aware if hotel-booking was even discussed - he may have a rental-contract

But none of this was the reason for denial.  It is based on 'suspicion' of working.  If he was from a poor-nation, that might make sense.  He isn't.  This isn't about illegal workers or 'scams' - it is about 'removing longer-staying foreigners' from Thailand before they can put down roots, marry, etc.  There are other threads discussing the increasing set of hurdles for other visa-types, so I won't go OT here with the list.

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, "now" has apparently arrived.  This would be the first confirmed case of someone with a Tourist Visa + 20K+ Baht being denied entry. 

He even had an outgoing ticket, which is not necessary if you enter with a Visa - still not good enough. 

As I have been saying for a long time, Airport Immigration is a game of roulette for those with a frequent and/or longer-stay history in Thailand.  The only question is when/if this will start happening at land-borders - but at least you aren't stuck in detention, if denied there.

Re: New passport - as the Thai Consulate personnel will tell you to do.
Re: Hotel and Airline bookings - he had a legit airline-booking, it would seem.  It made no difference.  I am not aware if hotel-booking was even discussed - he may have a rental-contract

But none of this was the reason for denial.  It is based on 'suspicion' of working.  If he was from a poor-nation, that might make sense.  He isn't.  This isn't about illegal workers or 'scams' - it is about 'removing longer-staying foreigners' from Thailand before they can put down roots, marry, etc.  There are other threads discussing the increasing set of hurdles for other visa-types, so I won't go OT here with the list.

Regarding swapping passports, Thai consulates are not Immigration.It's based on the fact of living here on Tourist visas, plain and simple. As there is nothing written in Law against it, they will use the law of suspicion of working, every time if you have everything else in order. Immigration have to prove nothing. Just the suspicion is enough. Expect more of it. If you think he's the only one this week, you may be surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

As there is nothing written in Law against it, they will use the law of suspicion of working, every time if you have everything else in order. Immigration have to prove nothing. Just the suspicion is enough.

Suspicion is not mentioned in the immigration act.

3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment by
using physical without skills training or to work in violation of the Ministerial Regulations.

Archived