Entry denied Bangkok Airport

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

I know from 2nd hand experience that this is not true.

They have to ship you back to your country of origin because that is the only country guaranteed to let you in.

I wonder.  If you have say the Cambodian one year visa and there is eight months left on it, can the Thai authorities ship you back to your home country ?  Thai immigration now is so worrisome.  Some immigration officers are reasonable others are a total nightmare.    

Have seen people with work permits from Singapore hassled, but later let in after having to wait a couple of hours.  

9 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I know from 2nd hand experience that this is not true.

They have to ship you back to your country of origin because that is the only country guaranteed to let you in.

Maybe the person in question  had a ticket back to his Country, from where he came and he asked whether he could buy a new ticket and fly somewhere else, which was refused ?

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What about denial of entry at land borders ?

They send you back to the Country you arrived from, rather than your own Country

Since denial of entry at an airport is exactly the same as denial of entry at a land border in that the person denied entry hasn't been allowed to enter, he is still technically in the other country... or the bit of no mans land between each country's border posts. As long as he/she qualifies to re-enter the other country, that's what will happen. If they have somehow overstayed their welcome, their visa has expired or any other reason they no longer qualify to re-enter the other country, then they would probably be detained by the Immigration of the other country and deported from the other country.

I think there's a very good reason why Lao Airlines refuse to carry anyone who had been denied entry to Thailand on any of their flights regardless of how eminently qualified they are to enter Laos.

Edited by NanLaew

Just now, sanemax said:

Maybe the person in question  had a ticket back to his Country, from where he came and he asked whether he could buy a new ticket and fly somewhere else, which was refused ?

Nope

He had to buy a ticket back to the UK or he would be sent to IDC

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I still say it is true. I have read many reports of people being denied entry and were allowed to travel to other countries other than their home country.

For those from some countries their home country might be the only one they can go to without a visa for entry.

To that should be added the countries which will deny entry to those refused elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Your information source is wrong. "They" do not have to ship a person anywhere,  The problem belongs to the individual and the airline they traveled with.  

Deportation cannot occur if an individual is denied entry.

Quite honesty you sound as if you haven't a clue about what they can and do actually do here if they want too. This isn't a Nanny state where you cry unfair and someone comes running to save you under some human rights act.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Nope

He had to buy a ticket back to the UK or he would be sent to IDC

He could only be sent to the IDC  if already admitted to the country !  He would also have had to have committed an immigration offence to earn the right to be detained. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Quite honesty you sound as if you haven't a clue about what they can and do actually do here if they want too. This isn't a Nanny state where you cry unfair and someone comes running to save you under some human rights act.

More "rumour" this time enhanced with a dose of conspiracy theory ? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Same subject in general - but hardly the same type of case(s).  Immigration policies in my passport-country are useless, because people can literally just "walk around" points of entry, enter illegally, then are free to live, work, take govt-handouts, and get drivers licenses, as if they were legal residents.   Every one of these illegal-immigrants, and even most legal ones, make our nation and citizens poorer.  If ONLY we had the same "problem" as Thailand - "too many" people wanting to come with Their Own Money to Spend into our economy, while taking NO taxpayer-funded handouts and jobs from locals.

As to processing entries - yes, I think they need more personnel, so they can do a full-scan of every passport, and ask any relevant questions - to be sure no actual dangerous-people get in.  But there are really only 2 questions to ponder:

1. Is this person a national-security risk (i.e. dangerous / criminal)?
  2. Is this person from a country with lower wages than Thailand, thus likely to be here to take a Thai's job?

If "yes" on #1 - bye. 

If "yes" on #2, questions and possible refusal of entry. 

But if "No" on both, where's the problem?

"Welfare" in The Netherlands pays better than most Thai-jobs - certainly more than an "under the table" job with no work-permit. 

I cannot find any logic for a denial, other than someone in the chain of authority is angry that a change/limit to Tourist-Visa rules hasn't happened, so they are twisting the law to "do it by other means."  

Every year I see lots of Foreigners coming into Thailand and living the dream of Scuba Dive master and/or Scuba Dive Instructor.

Often without work permits and yes lower wage then "welfare" in the Netherlands. But on the other hand, living the dream, laying on a white sand beach, scuba diving alongside coral reefs in clear water with lots of marine life. And if they do a good job, they may have a nice paid holiday, some for only 6 months high season, some stay 1 year or even longer.

• Like 2

Just now, Khun Robert said:

Every year I see lots of Foreigners coming into Thailand and living the dream of Scuba Dive master and/or Scuba Dive Instructor.

Often without work permits and yes lower wage then "welfare" in the Netherlands. But on the other hand, living the dream, laying on a white sand beach, scuba diving alongside coral reefs in clear water with lots of marine life. And if they do a good job, they may have a nice paid holiday, some for only 6 months high season, some stay 1 year or even longer.

And then complain when they run foul of Immigration or the Labour office ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tubby johnson said:

Bickering over which country he'd have to fly to next is kinda off topic.

The OP seeks advice for his appeal and, if still denied entry, how to prevent from being banned in future.

The OPs case is simple. He has to prove he has sufficient income to live in Thailand without resorting to work. 

He is not "banned" ! 

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Did he arrive on a one way ticket or did he have a return leg of a  flight from where he arrived from ?

Did you read the OP?

5 hours ago, Kohphanganlover said:

I had all the necessary paper with me. Onward flight back to Europe, Tourist Visa, booking confirmations and 25000 baht cash. 

2 hours ago, gamini said:

A lot of people seem to think they can just stay in Thailand as long as they like by getting multiple visas. Most countries restrict to a period of six months in a calendar year so why should Thailand be any different. For instance you cannot stay in Australia or New Zealand for  more than six months. If you want to stay longer you have to become a permanent resident, which incidentally is very costly.

Costly yes but you can get it and the benefits that go with it.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Cambodia, Vietnam, and most other countries on the planet do not care.  Only higher-wage nations care - because of the motivation for people to enter those countries to work there.

How do jobs pay in Austrailia and New Zealand, relative to Thailand?  There lies the answer as to why the immigration polices are different:

People come from higher-wage nations to spend their foreign-sourced income in Thailand - which is beneficial to Thailand - lowering unemployment and increasing wages.

People from lower-wage nations go to higher-wage nations to take jobs from locals, which drives up unemployment and drives-down wages, leading to major social problems.

While I generally agree with you I know a few Europeans living here on tourist visas because they do not want their home country to know they are living abroad or they cannot qualify for O-A visa. About half of them teach English without work permit or some other part time work. Some live off savings. I am glad I can afford the one year extensions and don't have to go to sleep at night planning my next 90 day run. It does seem like the ease of coming and staying in Thailand is changing. I feel for the OP as he seemed to do everything correctly. Hopefully he has a savings account he can show the Thai officials and win his appeal. One good thing about winning his appeal is maybe they will not do the same to him again in the future. Good luck OP. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sead said:

Computer flags me everytime. Now the red rectangular shows 22. Im always passed on to the boss. But im relaxed and joking and always goes through without need of showing any income etc

Is 22 the number of total entries or visa exempt entries?

@Kohphanganlover

Perhaps you could answer the following questions below in order for me to get a clear view of the situation your are in. 

1) For how long have you been in Thailand?

2) How many Tourist Visas do you have in your passport, plus types of visas e.g. Multiple Entry, Single Entry etc.

3) When was the last time you visited your home country?

4) Have you ever applied for a tourist visa in your home country?

5) Do you have any overstays in your passport?

6) Is your Passport valid for more than six months?

7) Have you had trouble with entering Thailand before?

8) Do you have any criminal background?

Looking forward to your response. 

• Like 1

To the OP: could you please confirm that this happened at Suvarnabhumi and not Don Muang. In the past, Don Muang has tended to be the stricter of the two.

I believe the OP could, under certain circumstances, be arrested and deported without being granted entry to Thailand. This would not be automatic, and I would expect you normally being allowed to buy a ticket and fly anywhere (subject to being allowed to check in for your flight).

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Cambodia, Vietnam, and most other countries on the planet do not care.  Only higher-wage nations care - because of the motivation for people to enter those countries to work there.

How do jobs pay in Austrailia and New Zealand, relative to Thailand?  There lies the answer as to why the immigration polices are different:

People come from higher-wage nations to spend their foreign-sourced income in Thailand - which is beneficial to Thailand - lowering unemployment and increasing wages.

People from lower-wage nations go to higher-wage nations to take jobs from locals, which drives up unemployment and drives-down wages, leading to major social problems.

There is more to living and working in a country than the monthly pay.

Just now, Shroud said:

@Kohphanganlover

Perhaps you could answer the following questions below in order for me to get a clear view of the situation your are in. 

You are being unnecessarily intrusive.

Fact !  A friend of mine(who is married to a Thai lady) and who works overseas has dozens (hundreds?) of visa exempt entries  He was "pulled" by immigration once but was able to demonstrate he was indeed married, never stayed longer than 28 days and had more than adequate finance. -- He has never had another question asked. 

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, "now" has apparently arrived.  This would be the first confirmed case of someone with a Tourist Visa + 20K+ Baht being denied entry. 

He even had an outgoing ticket, which is not necessary if you enter with a Visa - still not good enough. 

As I have been saying for a long time, Airport Immigration is a game of roulette for those with a frequent and/or longer-stay history in Thailand.  The only question is when/if this will start happening at land-borders - but at least you aren't stuck in detention, if denied there.

Re: New passport - as the Thai Consulate personnel will tell you to do.
Re: Hotel and Airline bookings - he had a legit airline-booking, it would seem.  It made no difference.  I am not aware if hotel-booking was even discussed - he may have a rental-contract

But none of this was the reason for denial.  It is based on 'suspicion' of working.  If he was from a poor-nation, that might make sense.  He isn't.  This isn't about illegal workers or 'scams' - it is about 'removing longer-staying foreigners' from Thailand before they can put down roots, marry, etc.  There are other threads discussing the increasing set of hurdles for other visa-types, so I won't go OT here with the list.

What hurdles for what visa types?

The elephant in the room has been avoided - I fully expect there is some form of profiling happening - might not be pc for some of our more sensitive members but hey this is the real world!

I'm not suggesting this has happened to the OP, but I'd be very, very surprised if it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

We only ever hear 'I'm such and such an age from such and such a country' which is all well and good. What the IO may see though is what he perceives to be a dreadlocked hippy that may set off some internal alarm bells.

Regardless of the what Immigration Act says we are playing in 'their' backyard and they will make/interpret/enforce the rules as they see fit.

Good luck to the OP and hope he finds a speedy resolution to his predicament.

Edited by tryasimight