AA meetings/support groups for alcoholics/family members?

Jaymk

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a support group similar to AA in Chiang Mai. My partner is an alcoholic, and I'd like to get some help for myself, as he is still very much in denial. I went to a few counseling sessions before we moved to Thailand, and found that it helped, so would like to get back to it. I found a group online called AAThailand, but I'm not sure how up to date their website is in terms of meeting times and locations, and which would be the best meeting for me to attend. Has anyone had any experience with this group? Or recommend any other support groups within the city? Your advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 8:04 PM, Dante99 said:

AA is excellent.  Just do it.

If you are an alcoholic, yes. The OP says they are not. The group for family and friends of alcoholics is Al Anon. They have meetings in Bkk. Not sure about CM. But going to AA open meetings in CM and asking them would get you the best info. You might need to visit a few meetings and talk to a few ppl to find someone who knows. Or come to Bkk. They  -Al Anon meet Tues afternoon.

The first time I darkened the door of an open AA meeting almost 30 years ago, I didn't know I was an alkie.  I didn't fit the (incorrect) profile of an alcoholic that I grew up with.  I was there because my life was a mess, I was surrounded by people who drank too much, and I was willing to do anything to improve my life, even if it meant trying abstinence for a while.

A couple of the members pointed me to an Al-Anon meeting in the same church, but a couple little old granny types just pointed me to a seat and got me a cup of coffee.  (They claimed I didn't look sick enough to go to Al-Anon- a wicked sense of humor they had)

Flash forward a few decades, one day at a time, and I owe my life to those little old ladies.

Oh, I am an alkie...  Just not the kind I recognized back then.  Today, I don't care about the definition.  Drinking caused problems in my life, so I had a drinking problem.  And I surrounded myself with people like me.

Archived