BANGKOK 16 June 2019 18:42

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Aussie Man Falls To Death From Parasail On Phuket Beach

Aussie Man Falls To Death From Parasail On Phuket Beach

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

PARASAIL-696x401.jpg

A screenshot from video shows the moment an Australian man fell to his death from a parasail on Phuket’s Kata Beach.

PHUKET — An Australian man plunged to his death Wednesday afternoon after a parasailing accident on Kata Beach in front of more than a 100 onlookers.

Operators told police the 70-year-old man confused the ropes on his parasail and pulled on a hook which unstrapped his harness, causing him to fall to the sea below. He was taken to Patong hospital, where he later died.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/07/12/aussie-man-falls-death-parasail-phuket-beach/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-7-12

They have a strap you can pull to drop to your death? What could go wrong?

Sympathies to the relatives, this shouldn't happen.

Is there not any age.limit on these potential death traps. In one way I admire the adventure of the 70 year old. Is it wise ... no

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Is there not any age.limit on these potential death traps. In one way I admire the adventure of the 70 year old. Is it wise ... no

The only limit is how much money you have.

They need Safety Health In Thailand or SHIT as they are known as to look at it

If you watch the video it all happens very quickly, he gets attached to the ropes and he's in the air within 2 minutes. No safety instructions given to him by the looks. Looks more like the safety crew <deleted> up strapping him in.

Australian man, 70, dies after Phuket parasail accident

Eakkapop Thongtub

1499856957_1-org.jpg

Police question the parasail operators at Karon Police Station: Photo: Karon Police

PHUKET:-- A 70-year-old Australian man died today after falling into the sea during a parasail ride at Kata Beach.

The Narenthorn EMS Centre stationed at Vachira Phuket Hospital received a report from lifeguards stationed at Kata Beach at about midday today (July 12) stating that a foreigner had sustained injuries after falling from a parasail.

Rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a foreigner man lying on the beach. He was taken to Patong Hospital where a doctor and a medical team tried to assist him but he was later pronounced dead.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-man-70-dies-after-phuket-parasail-accident-62989.php#QBe9w6YlyWW7O2Ju.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-7-12

little did they know that the person filming it would not see them alive again talk about when your time is up even say another 20 yards out to sea he may have survived as water deeper we never know whats round the corner

Sadly he's not the 1st and won't be the last, 10 2 1 they don't have insurance and no charges will be laid because he pulled the hook which unstrapped him, well that's what we are told, and we can't get his side of the story because he has tragically passed.

How on earth I allowed my 12 year old daughter (now 20) to go on one of these rides back then, just sent shivers down my spine, thank God nothing went wrong.

39 minutes ago, kkup said:

If you watch the video it all happens very quickly, he gets attached to the ropes and he's in the air within 2 minutes. No safety instructions given to him by the looks. Looks more like the safety crew f$%ked up strapping him in.

Yep, the only thing I heard is we run now, with his reply being, say again, we run, run then up they went and within 2 minutes like you said he had a hell of a straight fall into the shallow I would suggest.

16 minutes ago, mickyboy said:

and there be another one ready to be taken up in the air withinn the hour

Too bad the focus has been on the beach chairs and umbrella's and not the jet skis and the parachutes, money talks I suppose

I owned and ran an Adventure Park in northern Thailand for 6 years.  I recently sold the property, and the new owners are just doing a restaurant there.  However, I also had 3 zip lines, nearly 200 meters each.   For awhile, we also had the biggest swing in Asia (60 meters high, 50 meters swing radius).  I put all the gear together myself.  Never had any injuries.  Commercial recreational stuff should not be taken lightly, particularly by those who are constructing/overseeing it.

I recall a bungee jumping tower rig, I think it was built in Pattaya, several few years ago.  Two farang (managers of the place) were testing it out, and it failed.  They fell to their death.  Another true story:  Chiang Mai, a Chinese woman was at the end of a long zip line between trees (my zip lines went from rock cliffs to meadow).  She thought she saw bees at the arrival platform, so she didn't disembark, and instead zipped back to middle of the cable stretch.   A man was zipping from the starting place, and plowed into her.  She fell and died.  It seems to me; even if a person bumped hard into her, she should have stayed in her harness while safely clipped to the cable. I don't know all the details.

I remember a video clip of a parasail, in Bali IIRC. The guy, quite fat, tripped as the boat took off and was dragged down the beach on his gut before the sail lifted him. He had lost a fair bit of skin, so the boat slowed and dipped him in the water, must have stung a bit because he was squealing like a stuck pig.